Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of February 2024:

Closest open entrance from the hotel to the Metro Center Station is 11th & G Streets.

Active construction (jackhammers and loud banging) on the 12th and 11th floors. Hotel Is booking rooms directly under the construction zone!

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:10 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Welcome to Flyertalk's Hyatt forum Daniel!!!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by GWH VIP Manager
I am sure some of you have received some personal correspondence from me via e-mail. However, I just wanted to introduce myself to the Flyertalk community. My name is Daniel Honig and I am the VIP Manager at the Grand Hyatt Washington. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback with our hotel on this forum and it is great because your comments allow our hotel to make things even better. Please contact me at [email protected] if anyone ever needs personal assistance with their reservations or any questions regarding the property. Washington, DC is truly one of Americas finest cities and being located at Metro Center with direct metro access makes us a great central location for business and/or leisure. Hope to hear from some of you soon!

Daniel Honig
Daniel,

Thanks for the presence! (and the email the other day)

Greg Myers
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by PokerHammy
What do you value? The GH is not grand at all, the front desk does not have a separate elite check in and can have long lines, but I don't think it's lousy and the room is like any other Hyatt. I don't spend much time in the hotel and prefer to stay at the GH for the location and convenience (with Metro underground, walking distance to sights and museums). Club access is nice for snacks and drinks.
I'm at the hotel right now. There was a separate elite check-in line, though there weren't many people waiting at all. As I approached that part of the desk, a nice woman smiled and got ready to check me in. Was upgraded to the Grand Club floor, which required using the key in the elevator and the floor automatically lit up.

The room is nothing special, but perfectly fine. I found the Club offerings this evening fine, however, only one cheese on offer. Otherwise, parma-style ham, choice of breads or hard biscuits/flatbreads, very nice mozzarella balls, bean & tuna salad, sliced tomatoes, hummus, baba ghanoosh, cut veggies (i liked the snow peas), and some other tiems I don't remember anymore.

I asked the FD person if I could go to breakfast at the restaurant instead of the Club, and she gave me a free breakfast pass. So, I'll compare and see what's up.

The only thing, I just realized, is that she didn't ask me which Diamond amenity I wanted; I always take the points in the US.

But certainly great placement. While the stay hasn't been overnight yet, I'd, at this point, certainly stay here again.

Was very easy taking the Metro from Union Station.

UPDATE THE FOLLOWING MORNING The breakfast offerings in the Club were just fine, along the continental breakfast side of things, with smoked salmon and sides as an addition. Among the cereal accompaniments was fresh blueberries, which weren't offered at the big breakfast buffet in the main restaurant. That buffet was very nice, with an omelet station on top of a very wide variety of choices, except for no fresh blueberries amongst the fruit. However, a real plus in my book was that the oatmeal was steel-cut, rather than the flakes usually found.

There was a problem with the room, which I did report, along with my praise areas, to Mr. Honig, above, who'd sent, on his own or automatically, an email to me before I've even checked out. Came while I was eating breakfast. The heating/cooling system was stuck on high speed, despite my changing the fan speed using the controls. It woke me up in the early morning, and I had to turn it off to get some quiet. It was going like a jet engine, but I was able to get to sleep initially. I just turned it back on again, after returning from breakfast, and, somehow, it's been very quiet. Wish I'd tried that last night. Now I know for the future.

Yes, the room decor is a bit dull, and the desk chair had its tilt setting so loose I almost tumbled backwards (I did spend some time turning the knob to make it tighter), but I'd happily return here despite the HVAC system problem I had. Add to that the great weekend rate and the hotel's location, and I just don't get what the carping's about that I've read above. Very few US Hyatts are going to have the kind of spreads in their clubs that, say, the GH HK has. As I wrote above, I'd come back when next in DC.

Well, right after I finished the above update, the HVAC system kicked in, temp set for 69, and it is still high-speed only. Changing the fan speed to Low does nothing. Will update Mr. Honig.

UPDATE 2 Mr. Honig was in touch with me via email (accidentally hung up the room phone when I picked it up and he was calling) while I'm still here at the hotel, and I can write that he's been very proactive about correcting what I thought were problems. Think it says a lot about this hotel, along with his participation here.

Last edited by From NYC; Jan 22, 2011 at 8:31 am
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by From NYC
I'm at the hotel right now. There was a separate elite check-in line, though there weren't many people waiting at all. As I approached that part of the desk, a nice woman smiled and got ready to check me in. Was upgraded to the Grand Club floor, which required using the key in the elevator and the floor automatically lit up.

The room is nothing special, but perfectly fine. I found the Club offerings this evening fine, however, only one cheese on offer. Otherwise, parma-style ham, choice of breads or hard biscuits/flatbreads, very nice mozzarella balls, bean & tuna salad, sliced tomatoes, hummus, baba ghanoosh, cut veggies (i liked the snow peas), and some other tiems I don't remember anymore.

I asked the FD person if I could go to breakfast at the restaurant instead of the Club, and she gave me a free breakfast pass. So, I'll compare and see what's up.

The only thing, I just realized, is that she didn't ask me which Diamond amenity I wanted; I always take the points in the US.

But certainly great placement. While the stay hasn't been overnight yet, I'd, at this point, certainly stay here again.

Was very easy taking the Metro from Union Station.
frequently the weekend AAA rate is about $100. This way you can do the lounge AND the buffet!
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by etsmyers
frequently the weekend AAA rate is about $100. This way you can do the lounge AND the buffet!
Yes, had a cheap weekend rate and had both the lounge and the breakfast buffet available, but I asked at check-in about going for the full breakfast buffet.

Last edited by From NYC; Jan 22, 2011 at 8:32 am
Old May 31, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I'm planning on staying at the GH Washington next year, March 1 through 6... current rates I see (and yes, I know its 10 months out) are around $300/night..

I'm going to need 2 rooms. Anyone know whether they have the "family" rate for a 2nd room? Or other promos that might be going on that I'm not aware of?

Lastly, is it worth using a Diamond suite upgrade here, or better used elsewhere?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:58 am

I was given a diamond upgrade to a great suite earlier. If using a cert, ask for the next suite above the conference suite. WELL worth it!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:11 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checked in very late here with a last minute booking, due to my own screwup (don't ask). When I got here at 2am the only room left was a bog standard entry level room and I got the last king in the house. The room is definitely nothing special -- 240 sqft, 1980s design, the usual inadequate 8 watt florescent bulbs in the light fixtures, although the tv has been changed to a flat screen and everything in the room is clean and well kept.

My rate isn't staggeringly different from the PH, which I am moving to tomorrow. Too bad the PH was full for tonight!

This is a decent hotel but hard to see how the standard room here is better than your average HR.

They have also given me club access which I might not use because I'll be sleeping in.

I would stay here again but only if I couldn't get into the PH!! If it were $150 cheaper a night than my rate (originally $339 but lowered on check-in to $299), which is not uncommon I think, then it might be a decent deal.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 8:21 am

I don’t even know where to begin with this hotel…(this is the first time I’m actually “reviewing” a hotel on here because I feel so strongly about this place)

About 2 months prior to checkin I requested to use a Diamond Upgrade to a Suite. I was told no go, but they’ll put in my request. (this request was made directly through the hotel) I call about a month out and am told a request was never made but they’ll “really” put in my request this time. A few days out I try for the third time and am told nothing is available but they’ll put in a request for me on my record. At check in I’m told they just gave they’re last suite away a few minutes ago and she was very sorry.

The room: The hotel has 12 floors and I was put on the fourth floor in a regular room. (club floor is 12) I’ll be uploading pictures of my fabulous view from the rooms (I booked 2 rooms). Until then, take my word for it looked like a giant meteor impact zone. (LOTS of construction in a giant hole) I honestly wouldn't mind not getting the suite so much (using a confirmed upgrade) if the room we were put in was at least a club room or anything other than a regular room...(aka not a view of the giant crater)

Parking: Upon driving up to the hotel to check in, I was told to self park in the garage and then check in from there. I do so and find out there is no in-and-out privileges for self parking. $30 a day for overnight. The front desk tells me at check in that valet is my best bet because you do get in and out privileges for $40 a day. This would make the most sense for us because we would be in and out with the car a lot. So we try to use valet but they tell us they’re full and we have to self park. The gentleman was very nice and told us to go inside and talk to the front desk about it. We do so, and they valet us. We called the next morning to have our car ready at 7:00 AM for an event we’re going to. (We called at 6:30 AM) No car present and no one aware of what happened. At 7:20 our car rolls up. The next day, valet is full again and we’re forced to self-park. (We gave up with parking at this point)

Club room: On Friday night when I called to inquire about the opening hours on Saturday I was told 6:30 AM by the front desk. When we went down there at 6:30 we were told 7:00 AM on Saturday's. As a result, because we planned around a 6:30 opening time, we could not use the room and had to resort to a plan B elsewhere. When we did make it in there later in the day it was very small and every time I was in there the children to adult ratio was 3-1. I didn’t try breakfast in there but the snacks throughout the day seemed decent.

Overall: I will never stay here again, (this was my first time) and will never recommend this hotel to anyone. Almost every staff member I dealt with provided me with incorrect information and/or referred me to someone else. The majority of the staff that we dealt with during our weekend here had a very casual attitude about trying to help you. I won't bother you all with the examples of this, but after reading “good” reviews about this hotel I can’t understand what happened. I hope anyone considering this hotel will give it a second thought, I truly wish I stayed somewhere else. If they treat diamond members like this, I can’t even imagine what someone with no status would be treated like…
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:07 am

At least you HAD a view. The room they gave me looked into the atrium.

And at least you HAD a valet to tell you the parking was full. When I pulled up, admittedly at 2am, there was no one at the entrance or anywhere near it.

Trying to figure out what that construction is all about, it looks like they are digging up an area larger than the World Trade Center.

In my case, when I complained at checkout, they did lower my rate by 50%.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
At least you HAD a view. The room they gave me looked into the atrium.

And at least you HAD a valet to tell you the parking was full. When I pulled up, admittedly at 2am, there was no one at the entrance or anywhere near it.

Trying to figure out what that construction is all about, it looks like they are digging up an area larger than the World Trade Center.

In my case, when I complained at checkout, they did lower my rate by 50%.
well it seems like the hotel when out of its way to compensate you for the issues you experienced, which is a good thing!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP
Well, to answer your question on the construction, that hole is where the old convention center was. For the last few years, it has been a giant multiple-block parking lot used for intercity bus travel. If I recall correctly, it is one of the largest urban development projects in recent history, with a ton of condos, office space, and pedestrian friendly retail space going in. That is obviously years away, but it is encouraging they at least broke ground, because the gaping hole you see now isn't terribly worse than the empty parking lot was.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by bmw303
well it seems like the hotel when out of its way to compensate you for the issues you experienced, which is a good thing!
But not good enough to get me to go back there unless the PH is fully booked. I wouldn't generalize from my experience.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:59 pm

I stayed here last weekend and had an overall enjoyable stay. I did suggest, though, that there be an "Adults-Only" or a "Quiet" section. With it being such a big hotel, it seemed as though there was an endless stream of noisy children parading past our room at 7am LOL.

I noticed the giant crater outside of the hotel, and I'm glad it's going to be turned into greenspace/retail/housing instead of the parking lot that it's been for the last few years. Thankfully, our room faced into the atrium. I know some don't like that, but I actually enjoyed the view of the beautiful interior landscaping, and I liked watching the hustle and bustle going on way down below us.

Overall, if I could get the rate I received again ($99/night), I'd definitely stay here again.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
I will be staying here on July 15 and looking for suggestions on parking. I see some nearby parking places and need your opinion if someone has used this?

Also, I will be visiting regular tourist places(White House, Washington Monument, US Congress etc), what is the best way to travel(Metro or own car - I will be with my family 2 kids)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.