Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of February 2024:

Closest open entrance from the hotel to the Metro Center Station is 11th & G Streets.

Active construction (jackhammers and loud banging) on the 12th and 11th floors. Hotel Is booking rooms directly under the construction zone!

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Contact details for the GM?

Does anyone have contact information for the General Manager of the hotel? I had a problem-ridden stay and am unhappy with the hotel's response so far.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Does anyone know what type of room an "Atrium Suite" is? Any details? This is what they booked me in using a confirmed suite upgrade. I was told it has a sofa bed so that's good. I'm traveling with my mom so need at least two beds or sofa pull-out. Supposedly none of the suites have two beds, or at least none were available.

On the hotel website it only has the Grand and Presidential suites.
Old May 12, 2009, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, United 1K, Southwest Preferred Plus
Suites

I too would like information on the Atrium Suite. Booked it for a stay coming up in September.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: Conti Plat/1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aloha12
I too would like information on the Atrium Suite. Booked it for a stay coming up in September.
I stayed at the property a few days ago. I booked a standard room and used one of my 4 confirmed diamond upgrades for a Atrium Suite.

At the time of the upgrade I requested 2 double beds from the diamond desk.

The suite was 1 standard hotel room with double beds, and the "suite section" was in the connected room. The connected room was the space of 2 standard rooms - had a big dinning table, a sofa bed, a few additional chairs, and a wet bar area. So overall it was the size of 3 standard rooms. Each of the 2 "rooms" had a full bathroom.

The room was numbered X71/X75.

Hope that answers your questions
Old Jun 10, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, United 1K, Southwest Preferred Plus
Thanks that helped. how was your stay? Also, do you know what other suites they have and did you ask for any them instead of what you were assigned?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by aloha12
Thanks that helped. how was your stay? Also, do you know what other suites they have and did you ask for any them instead of what you were assigned?
I did not ask about alternative rooms as the reason I booked at the Hyatt and used 1 of the 4 upgrade coupons was to guarantee 3 beds.

The stay was ok, its not a beautiful property (read: it is getting urgently close to really needing a renovation), but is conveniently located near many attractions in DC and functional. The elevators are a bit slow.

The Regency Club was packed with people the two times I was in there (~5pm and ~9am). Ok selection, very consist with many other older Hyatts I have been to this year.

I stayed at the Park Hyatt DC last year and its a very different experience, but it depends on what you want. I was down there with guy friends (vs. with the gf last year) to watch the Mets crush the Nats, so the GH was perfect for this trip.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:12 pm

Tv's

BTW, both rooms had ~27 inch tube tv's. The suite was kind of sad - being such a large room and all with such a small tube tv. We used the room for sleeping, so it wasn't so important to us.

My next stay in DC will probably be at the W or back at the Park Hyatt.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 6:13 pm

Anything But Grand

Presently we're checked in here.
Had booked the weekend rate and also a FAM rate but couldn't get info before the 24hr canc. Tried to contact the front desk here and never got them to answer the phone on several occassions... not a good sign. When I finally get in touch I get the answer that response that since we requested 2 double rooms we would have a conference suite... 2 adjoining rooms which is in a corner room. That's OK but the room was on the first floor. Told there wasn't another suite for us that had 2 beds. Well ask if any rooms had a "sofa bed" ... NONE of our suites have sofa beds... OK (I'm ludicrous). I then "what about the atrium suites". They only had one bed and NO sofa beds.
Leave and take the room. Don't have the bedroom key available originally so was told to leave bags in conference part (sofa bed was open) and leave for the afternoon. Go to lounge for PM refreshments (pitiful crudites ... s/w others in lounge and told that's what they've had the last couple of days) and then got to front desk. That's when the fun starts. Ask again about the sofa bed situation. Well found out that they DO have rooms with a pull-out couch (duh... isn't that = sofa bed?).
Also asked if we could change the ressie to a FAM rate that included breakfast... SOL you should have done that before check-in now it's an upsell for $169 instead of $124 (no go for us.. I've got coupons for 1/2 off breakfast which would be less than $169 ... actually would be room rate of $109 + $25... I wasn't born yesterday.
As others have said that nothing is "given" here esp. for Diamonds. Used Diamond "guarantee suite" and that's great and all (Fam rate would have been 2 rooms, first only $124 and second (if we needed) would have been $62.
We'll see have the rest of the stay will be.
Carolyn
Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
A brief, but nice, stay

Is there more than one Grand Hyatt in DC?????

We had a completely different experience than the last few posters...

Booked a one night stay w/ AAA rate of $98 on a Fri night. Upgraded to Club level. Second room was also upgraded. Decor may not be cutting edge, but it was not worn, and still basically attractive. Club lounge is quite small; but well maintained w/ a fairly standard selection. One of those brew by the cup coffee machines, which was totally overwhelmed in the AM - attendant was on top of it at once and had a large urn brought up. Valet parking is $30 per; & car was always brought up quickly. Bellstaff was good - but front entrance area needs a senior doorman to direct traffic and keep things moving. Check in was quick easy - even though it wasn't even noon. Amenities, etc were all offered, special room requests (high floor, quiet room) were met. Location is great if you are there for tourist stuff.

I had a pleasant stay, as did my traveling companions. I would certainly stay here again.....^
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Did you notice a line for the breakfast buffet? I stayed here a month ago and they told me a lot of locals pop in for breakfast on the weekend. I had a 10 minute wait just to get in, and didn't even bother getting in line for the omelette station which was 9 people long (though nice selection of hot dishes, pastries, and fruit--would rival anything you'd see in Reno or Las Vegas).
Old Oct 11, 2009, 2:31 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
Did you notice a line for the breakfast buffet? I stayed here a month ago and they told me a lot of locals pop in for breakfast on the weekend. I had a 10 minute wait just to get in, and didn't even bother getting in line for the omelette station which was 9 people long (though nice selection of hot dishes, pastries, and fruit--would rival anything you'd see in Reno or Las Vegas).

We did not eat in the restaurant as we were on the Club level. The restaurant didn't seem very crowded, as there were only a few tables taken - but it was Sat...perhaps they are much busier on Sunday?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:01 am

So which is actually the better upgrade-the Club level suite/grand suite? And b/c u automatically get the RC as Diamond, does that cancel u out 4 the buffet (unless paying of course) that u would receive 4 free as a Diamond @ the Hyatt/HR's?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:53 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by mommafrica
So which is actually the better upgrade-the Club level suite/grand suite? And b/c u automatically get the RC as Diamond, does that cancel u out 4 the buffet (unless paying of course) that u would receive 4 free as a Diamond @ the Hyatt/HR's?
Yes - generally if the property has a RC/GC that's operating, you don't get the restaurant breakfast (buffet or otherwise) unless you are on a paid rate that includes "full" breakfast (eg BREAKF promotion on AAA rate) - this is why I personally (YMMV) prefer properties (generally - some International properties have spectacular RC/GCs) that don't have a RC/GC.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
so, in the atrium suite, there are only double beds, there are no atrium suites with king beds?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Getting ready to check out after a very good stay here. Had breakfast in the Grand Club this morning (assortment of pastries, bagels, toast, cut pineapple and melon, muffins), which was more than adequate for me, more so because I have brunch plans at 1 (could have booked the 3A breakfast rate, but knew I didn't want to do the full breakfast as I did last time). Only about 4 tables occupied at 9:30.

I checked in right around noon yesterday and was given a room on the 11th (Gold Passport) floor. The Grand Club is on 12 across from the elevators. Wi-fi is $9.95 or $14.95 depending on speed if not included with your status.

Nice Christmas tree directly across from the lobby elevators, though the National Christmas Tree a few blocks down is much bigger (PHOTOS).

When I came back after 10pm last night I could barely hear the television over the loud talking and laughing in the adjoining room. I waited until 11 thinking they'd quiet down, but there was no sign of that happening. The hotel sent someone from security up and that solved the problem (I think the occupants were headed out, as I heard them come back after 4a.m). This is the first time I've ever had to complain about noise and it was promptly addressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.