Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of February 2024:

Closest open entrance from the hotel to the Metro Center Station is 11th & G Streets.

Active construction (jackhammers and loud banging) on the 12th and 11th floors. Hotel Is booking rooms directly under the construction zone!

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of my kids lives a few blocks away from the GH, but the only Hyatt I've stayed at in DC is the PH.

I hate lousy hotels, so the question is whether the GH is simply lousy or the bad reviews are outliers. What's the belief -- not considering the price difference, would it be better for me to stay at the PH and be further away, or stay at the GH and be closer?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
One of my kids lives a few blocks away from the GH, but the only Hyatt I've stayed at in DC is the PH.

I hate lousy hotels, so the question is whether the GH is simply lousy or the bad reviews are outliers. What's the belief -- not considering the price difference, would it be better for me to stay at the PH and be further away, or stay at the GH and be closer?
What do you value? The GH is not grand at all, the front desk does not have a separate elite check in and can have long lines, but I don't think it's lousy and the room is like any other Hyatt. I don't spend much time in the hotel and prefer to stay at the GH for the location and convenience (with Metro underground, walking distance to sights and museums). Club access is nice for snacks and drinks.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The Grand Washington is not a lousy place, but it is also not really a Grand Hyatt.

It belongs to the older, first generation of US Grand Hyatt properties and has such illustrious sister properties like the Grand San Francisco and Grand New York.

One should not forget that the Park Washington was closed for about a year some years ago for a really indepth and complete renovation, thus offers a room ambience that is typical for an AAA 4 Diamond+ rated property opened in the mid 2000's, in other words when it comes to Hyatt in the US, it cannot get any better than the Park Washington...

The Park Washington is probably a Top 30-40 Hyatt property in the US
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
The Grand Hyatt should be a regular Hyatt, there's nothing "Grand" about it. It's an average convention hotel, lacks any charm, and I found the service to be odd & annoying. But it has a great location and can be a great deal on the weekend. I'm not a big fan of the atrium hotels and it reminds me of the Hyatt SFO, it's not a dump, to me it's pretty boring & not my first choice in DC.

Last edited by wilma; Oct 22, 2010 at 5:06 pm
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:04 pm

I've stayed at all the Hyatts in the DC and Virginia area and the Grand Hyatt does have the best location for convenience with respect to sightseeing and attractions in DC. I just returned from a stay at the Hyatt Regency Capital Hill today and its location isn't bad either, it's just not right on the Metro. Park Hyatt is definitely a posher hotel but in my opinion it's a bit too stiff and stuffy. I'm a business traveler and I don't need three people on top of my car when I arrive helping to move one piece of wheeled luggage to my room. It's a very nice service, but not necessary for me. The others in the area are much more down-to-earth.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Just checked out today. My Diamond amenity was never delivered so i suppose I will have to call to get the points.

Other then that I used a suite upgrade and recieved a massive conference suite on the 1st floor. Grand club is small and unimpressive as others have reviewed. Location and rate were perfect for a weekend of site seeing.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
I'm booked for a night here next Friday. $99 rate and an upgrade to the "conference suite," which I gather is a low floor and not much more than a bunch of extra space.

How much is parking?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:12 pm

If I remember correctly, valet parking is $41 per night
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bob99b5
If I remember correctly, valet parking is $41 per night
And is valet the cheapest/only option with the hotel?

There is a bus stop and parking lot across the street but that's not cheap as I recall either.

I think I'll just park at Vienna Metro and ride in to Metro Center--that can't be more than$10 if I return about 24 hrs later on a Saturday afternoon, can it?.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:38 pm

Oh and is the conference suite the new low floor suite, and the lowest level of suite, e.g., below a "junior suite?" In other words, is it just a shuite in name only?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Will be here M-W, using an upgrade, taking the kids for something to do.

I received the email about guaranteeing parking. How do they do that? Assign a specific spot or what?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:03 am
DH

Originally Posted by stallion114
Just checked out today. My Diamond amenity was never delivered so i suppose I will have to call to get the points.

Other then that I used a suite upgrade and recieved a massive conference suite on the 1st floor. Grand club is small and unimpressive as others have reviewed. Location and rate were perfect for a weekend of site seeing.
I had 1 nt stay over the weekend and got conference suite on 1st floor using the suite upgrade certificate. Only complain about the suite that it has only one very small bathroom. The Grand Club was adequate/average; the evening reception had typical veggie, hummus, bread, pita chips, cheese and a seafood salad. The breakfast was strictly continental with smoke salmon and boiled eggs.

We had breakfast at the restaurant and buffet was better than average.

Lastly the swimming pool area looked dated but was decent size.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
I stay at this property at least once a month. It is a nice hotel and as a Diamond I have been treated very well. The location is great. I love the Grand Club, including the coffee maker... it may take a minute but it is worth it! They rotate the same appetizers every three days it seems, with some new and generally very good cheese choices once in a while.

Other than that, it may help to consider that this really is a convention hotel. It is a huge property and appears to be sold out quite often, especially during the summer months. Service is not always up to typical Hyatt standards, but that may be a function of the sheer size of the hotel (one of the club concierges is a former UA FA and it sometimes shows ).

For a better overall experience, I would recommend the Hyatt Regency over on Capitol Hill, which is excellent. However, the GM from that property moved to the Grand a little while ago, which should bode well for this property. I exchanged a couple of e-mails with him recently and he seemed extremely friendly and responsive.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
I stayed at the Grand Hyatt WDC last month. A week before my arrival I received an e-mail from the VIP Manager, Daniel Honig, welcoming me and requested that i submit any preferences to put into my profile. I submitted them and my preferred room type (corner room) was assigned to me at check-in. So it looks like they're attempting to reach out their VIP customers to meet their needs.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:04 am

Hello Flyertalk!

I am sure some of you have received some personal correspondence from me via e-mail. However, I just wanted to introduce myself to the Flyertalk community. My name is Daniel Honig and I am the VIP Manager at the Grand Hyatt Washington. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback with our hotel on this forum and it is great because your comments allow our hotel to make things even better. Please contact me at [email protected] if anyone ever needs personal assistance with their reservations or any questions regarding the property. Washington, DC is truly one of Americas finest cities and being located at Metro Center with direct metro access makes us a great central location for business and/or leisure. Hope to hear from some of you soon!

Daniel Honig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.