Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of February 2024:

Closest open entrance from the hotel to the Metro Center Station is 11th & G Streets.

Active construction (jackhammers and loud banging) on the 12th and 11th floors. Hotel Is booking rooms directly under the construction zone!

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I have a few questions:

1) Is the conference suite considered a standard suite or a premium suite at the GH? The details on their website does not specify.
2) Has anyone used non-hotel parking facilities nearby (e.g. CityCenterDC parking garage)?
3) On their website, they state "Please note that self-parking cannot be charged to your guest room". Is the self-parking not operated by the hotel and so Globalists on an award rate cannot charge parking to the room and get it comped?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
I have a few questions:
2) Has anyone used non-hotel parking facilities nearby (e.g. CityCenterDC parking garage)?
I parked at CityCenterDC. Booked via SpotHero and left the car there (no in/out) for the duration of my stay. There is some street parking, especially closer to Chinatown area, but YMMV. There are also other cheaper parking areas nearby, but depends on your in/out time.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:50 pm

Globalist Destination Fee Waived - So Are Benefits?

Had a one night stay and at check-in they did confirm destination fee was waived as a globalist. However, when I asked about the dining credit at the on=site restaurant Crave and pre-loaded metro card that normally would be "paid" for in the destination fee, curiously the desk agent said that no destination fee "benefits" would be conveyed either. Not a big deal, didn't pay it - don't benefit from it.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I stayed here recently when I was in Washington for a Christmas party and I had no complaints.

I only stuck my head in the lounge a couple times and I didn't see anything too worthy of complaints other than another guest was struggling with a broken printer.

The first morning I had brunch plans elsewhere and the second morning I overslept so I didn't avail myself of the breakfast but the salmon and grilled veggies that were being served one evening were delicious.

I would stay here again but properties with a resort fee require an exception to the travel policy and that is rarely granted for any city other than Las Vegas but I might be able to pull it off on the basis of the inexpensive airport transfer owing to the proximity to the Metro.

Last edited by Error 601; Dec 29, 2019 at 4:14 am
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:45 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by peetahvw
Had a one night stay and at check-in they did confirm destination fee was waived as a globalist. However, when I asked about the dining credit at the on=site restaurant Crave and pre-loaded metro card that normally would be "paid" for in the destination fee, curiously the desk agent said that no destination fee "benefits" would be conveyed either. Not a big deal, didn't pay it - don't benefit from it.
In general any fees coming off as Globalist benefit should be billed to hotel directly. Pre-loaded metro card is not one of those. I've never heard of the Crave restaurant. The breakfast is at Cabinet. That is Globalist breakfast.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver, Delta Platinum, AA Platinum Pro
Crave? Do you perhaps mean Cure restaurant at the lobby level? It has a decent menu for lunch which is when I've used the destination fee credits.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
Originally Posted by RedSun
The breakfast is at Cabinet. That is Globalist breakfast.
So as a globalist you can choose between Club and restaurant breakfest ?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:27 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
So as a globalist you can choose between Club and restaurant breakfest ?
No. This has been discussed extensively. Hotel grants that to some people, but they prefer club lounge, to reduce costs.
Onewhoknows likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 5:36 pm

Spent a week here in late July. I was happy, but I'll stick to "just the facts" here.
The fitness center is open, 24 hours, with half of the equipment signed for social distancing. Not crowded during my stay, any time of day I went, which was most of them.
Globalist breakfast was offered beginning around July 26th. Grab n' Go pre-ordered pancakes, eggs, cereal+yogurt, breakfast sandwich.
Default is no servicing of rooms. (Suited me fine.)
Saw quite a bit of cleaning going on, including and especially in fitness center, lobby and elevators.
Half of the entrances were closed, including direct access to Metro.

Staff all good or better, IMO.
dpb132 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Half of the entrances were closed, including direct access to Metro.
LOL that’s half the reason to stay at this property.

Was the restaurant closed? I assume the Grand Club was.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by dpb132
LOL that’s half the reason to stay at this property.

Was the restaurant closed? I assume the Grand Club was.
With the exception of the grab 'n go breakfast, the restaurants and all shops were closed...other than the FedEx.
Grand Club closed.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 12:20 pm

Update on how things are looking as of mid-October, 2020. I had a great stay here this week. There is grab-and-go breakfast and dinner available from Cure, and there are multiple ways to submit the order.

The Grand Club is still closed.

Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:40 am

Just booked for (hopefully) cherry blossoms at the end of March. It's no Japan, but...

​​
Old Apr 4, 2021, 12:24 pm

Spectacular experience here last night - upgraded to a Grand Suite before we even arrived. It wasn't ready so we left our bags, and the gentleman at the front desk said he'd call when it was clean. The guests from the night before elected to take their 4p checkout, so the desk called with apologies and offered a $50 credit for the wait. Completely unnecessary - the suite was amazing and well worth the wait - but very much appreciated.

Breakfast was easy - they wiped the whole bill, no questions asked. I think there was a small credit from the $50 left, and they applied it to our stay. Cannot say enough good things about this place, especially Emanuel at the front desk and Ed at the bar. I know this experience won't be typical, but it was a heck of an introduction to Hyatt leisure travel. No regrets whatsoever about making the leap.
CMK10, saint, platbrownguy and 4 others like this.

Last edited by synergistic; Apr 4, 2021 at 1:40 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
Spectacular experience here last night - upgraded to a Grand Suite before we even arrived. It wasn't ready so we left our bags, and the gentleman at the front desk said he'd call when it was clean. The guests from the night before elected to take their 4p checkout, so the desk called with apologies and offered a $50 credit for the wait. Completely unnecessary - the suite was amazing and well worth the wait - but very much appreciated.

Breakfast was easy - they wiped the whole bill, no questions asked. I think there was a small credit from the $50 left, and they applied it to our stay. Cannot say enough good things about this place, especially Emanuel at the front desk and Ed at the bar. I know this experience won't be typical, but it was a heck of an introduction to Hyatt leisure travel. No regrets whatsoever about making the leap.
I just checked out after a 3 night stay, and also had a wonderful stay. My herd of 9 stayed in 3 rooms, all booked under by name as a Globalists. As I requested and confirmed prior to check-in, two rooms connected, and the third room was 2 doors down. Rooms were on the grand level, 12th floor.

All 3 rooms were given complementary breakfast downstairs. No max $ per person. Tip was also taken off. Sit down dining was available over the weekend but to-go only this morning (was told due to the occupancy level). Last night, we ordered breakfast to-go as we needed to leave at 7:15 to catch the Amtrak. Only food for one room was ready so we left without food for the other two rooms. The restaurant staff was very apologetic about it and gave us fresh cut fruit.

Lounge was closed over the weekend. At check-in, my room was given $50 credit to offset the lounge closure. Awesome gesture. The lounge reopened at 6am this morning, limited to 10 persons max. Coffee, drinks, cereal, fruits, nuts, etc were available for self service. I was told there would be pastries but wasn’t there when we left. No attendee there at 7am. We grabbed a few coffees and juices.

Although we didn’t get the breakfast we ordered, it didn’t bother us at all. We were gracious that breakfast was extended to all 3 rooms.

Overall, a very wonderful stay. Thumbs up to Emanuel and Rachel at the front desk. They acknowledged us as we went in/out of hotel, provided bottles of water, and seemed genuine to ensure we had a pleasant stay.

As I type this, I just received an email from the property apologizing for the lounge and bfast this morning. They proactively gave me 10k points for the mis-service. Wow, wasn’t expecting that at all.

They earned my stays in DC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.