Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Of the two, I would pick the RC... the RC's location is in the heart of Georgetown so quite close to shopping/restaurants/cupcakes/etc... The PH isn't terribly far away but it's still about a 15 minute walk to the heart to Georgetown.. that all being said it is possible to walk to dupont circle from the PH... Neither is convenient to the sites of DC...

FDW
For people who are coming to the U.S. for the first time, the PH is probably better than anything in Georgetown, since why would they want to spend time in a yuppie/upper-middle-class enclave whose stores/restaurants/cupcakes/etc. can't compare to what they would have already found in NY. flyinginu, how are rates at other upscale/luxury hotels like The Jefferson, Mandarin Oriental, etc. for your dates?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:18 am

guys, thanks a lot for your advices. I am more incline to stay at the PH due to the feedback here and also partly on the location. I don't know what to expect as I was told hotels standard are different from what we have in Asia, so I have to wait and see.

lawyertalk, I didn't actually check the rates for the other chains as I would like to secure points for my goldpassport/marriot reward membership, but i checked that yesterday and the others seems to have much higher rates than the PH & RC. I booked the RC a while back using my employer's corp rate and it is fairly decent, but looks like I am going to drop it now...
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:12 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by flyinginu
I didn't actually check the rates for the other chains as I would like to secure points for my goldpassport/marriot reward membership, but i checked that yesterday and the others seems to have much higher rates than the PH & RC. I booked the RC a while back using my employer's corp rate and it is fairly decent, but looks like I am going to drop it now...
You can look towards Virtuoso perhaps as the way to secure the Park Hyatt with breakfast daily while still earning the GP Points. Plus you will probably get a room upgrade (never missed one yet at this hyatt)
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:23 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ABG
You can look towards Virtuoso perhaps as the way to secure the Park Hyatt with breakfast daily while still earning the GP Points. Plus you will probably get a room upgrade (never missed one yet at this hyatt)
I thought one of the virtuoso perks for the PH Washington was room upgrade at booking? At least it was in the past..... I was able to confirm an upgrade to an Ambassador suite for a future stay.. if you have access to FHR, they are offering a 4th night free at the Georgetown and DC Rc and 3rd night free at the MO... I like the PH because it's a good value for DC vs the FS and RC.. I've always found the rates consistently lower.. that all being said, I prefer the FS to the PH...

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
For people who are coming to the U.S. for the first time, the PH is probably better than anything in Georgetown, since why would they want to spend time in a yuppie/upper-middle-class enclave whose stores/restaurants/cupcakes/etc. can't compare to what they would have already found in NY. flyinginu, how are rates at other upscale/luxury hotels like The Jefferson, Mandarin Oriental, etc. for your dates?
First time to DC some place like the ST. Regis would probably be better.. The Jefferson too. I find the MO's location to be quite horrible. I still prefer being in the heart of Georgetown vs Foggy Bottom... the restaurant selection is much much better and there are more things to walk to... the area around the PH has absolutely zero character....

FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Mar 26, 2014 at 7:29 pm
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
First time to DC some place like the ST. Regis would probably be better.. The Jefferson too. I find the MO's location to be quite horrible. I still prefer being in the heart of Georgetown vs Foggy Bottom... the restaurant selection is much much better and there are more things to walk to... the area around the PH has absolutely zero character....

FDW
Don't want to take this too far off topic into a "best luxury hotel for first timer" thread, but I disagree about the MO and Georgetown v. Foggy Bottom. Both the MO and Foggy Bottom locations offer better connection to the Metro/subway (Blue/Orange gets you to almost every tourist site). Georgetown does have the Circulator to get you to the Foggy Bottom metro, but then that means you end up walking + bussing to get to the metro.

I consider myself well-eaten, and the PH area is somewhat empty, but people come from around DC to eat at Blue Duck, and there are definitely some great restaurants within walking distance (Rasika West End, Obelisk). While Georgetown has a lot of restaurants, they're usually mediocre or chains, and the only great restaurant is 1789 (though I've never eaten there so can't attest to it).
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:56 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
Don't want to take this too far off topic into a "best luxury hotel for first timer" thread, but I disagree about the MO and Georgetown v. Foggy Bottom. Both the MO and Foggy Bottom locations offer better connection to the Metro/subway (Blue/Orange gets you to almost every tourist site). Georgetown does have the Circulator to get you to the Foggy Bottom metro, but then that means you end up walking + bussing to get to the metro.

I consider myself well-eaten, and the PH area is somewhat empty, but people come from around DC to eat at Blue Duck, and there are definitely some great restaurants within walking distance (Rasika West End, Obelisk). While Georgetown has a lot of restaurants, they're usually mediocre or chains, and the only great restaurant is 1789 (though I've never eaten there so can't attest to it).
I guess we can agree to disagree but to be honest I guess I can't really disagree with you...

I've only had one PH Washington stay and it's paled in comparison to other luxury hotels but I do have a stay coming up and we are eating at Rasika and Obelisk... First time at Rasika; Obelisk is one of our favorites.. We are also checking out Sushi Taro while we are in DC... so we definitely have similar tastes in food and you're correct about the mediocrity of food in Georgetown... I've been mostly disappointed in my experiences there... though my wife will stand firm on her love of Baked and Wired....

FDW
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:24 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just finished two nights here and was somewhat disappointed. Service seems to have deteriorated a bit. Housekeeping altered the thermostats in the room to a "more economical" setting, one of my pet peeves, especially in a supposedly luxury hotel.

Had Easter brunch in the Blue Duck and the food, while decent, was unmemorable. Not sure what I expected but at $95 a person with appetizers and desserts served buffet style, I would have at least like to have seen more effort on the main course. A 20% service charge was added to the bill for our party of 6.

Asked them to empty the mini-bar which is one of those weight-sensitive kinds, and the entire contents (plus an additional charge every time I removed one of my items stored there) appeared on my bill. Required several reminders to get that removed.

Guest services manager showed up to introduce himself when I was checking out, when it no longer mattered.

Sure, I'd stay here again, especially given the poor treatment I always get at the GH, but I'd hate to see the deterioration continue.

Edited to add:

I now realize that the reason the a/c changed the temp is that it is a sensor-based system, no longer based on motion but on infra-red or microwaves or something else. Evidently, energy conservation means that guest preferences are negated once they leave the room. I ran into a more aggressive implementation of this today at the Umstead hotel in North Carolina.

While I understand that the hotel wants to reduce its costs, I also feel that a guest is entitled to have higher expectations at a luxury property.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 23, 2014 at 9:24 am
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Just finished two nights here and was somewhat disappointed. Service seems to have deteriorated a bit. Housekeeping altered the thermostats in the room to a "more economical" setting, one of my pet peeves, especially in a supposedly luxury hotel.

Had Easter brunch in the Blue Duck and the food, while decent, was unmemorable. Not sure what I expected but at $95 a person with appetizers and desserts served buffet style, I would have at least like to have seen more effort on the main course. A 20% service charge was added to the bill for our party of 6.

Asked them to empty the mini-bar which is one of those weight-sensitive kinds, and the entire contents (plus an additional charge every time I removed one of my items stored there) appeared on my bill. Required several reminders to get that removed.

Guest services manager showed up to introduce himself when I was checking out, when it no longer mattered.

Sure, I'd stay here again, especially given the poor treatment I always get at the GH, but I'd hate to see the deterioration continue.
I take it your last sentence was tongue in cheek or misstated?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:21 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I take it your last sentence was tongue in cheek or misstated?
Why do you think that?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Why do you think that?
Oops, sorry, I misunderstood "GH." I read it as "PH."
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:41 am
formerly gohima

Just got back from a one night stay on 5/30 and I would say the place is decidedly mediocre overall.

We booked a Premier Park Deluxe on Virtuoso and we got, well a Premier Park Deluxe with a view of HVAC equipment above the pool. I had inquired about the upgrade and got the standard "sorry, we are full" line despite there being availability in every room category online. Also, the front desk girl just handed me the letter regarding virtuoso benefits and didnt bother to explain anything or inquire about whether we wanted to use late check out. I called later to try to set up late check out and was told the same "we are full" line and was offered 1 PM as the latest they could let me check out.

The room was well furnished but heavily over scented. My SO is sensitive to perfume and complained of a headache because of how scented the place was. Apparently housekeeping didnt fully restock the snacks as I was charged $5 after they replaced an item I didnt consume, during turndown service.

We used the $100 at BDT. Blue Duck Tavern had good food with average to poor service. E-Concierge was used to book the reservation and they had booked us at the wrong time, setting the stage for the rest of night. Our waiter forgot a few things, first our drink order and then the SO's nut intolerance with regard to the daily vegetables. Because of his error on the nuts, he ended up comping us the sides and dessert, but screw ups are better to be prevented then just throwing things your way as an apology.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Sorry to hear about a less than satisfactory stay. I would point out, however, that Virtuoso typically provides an upgrade to the next room category at time of booking at this property, so your Premier Park Deluxe room was most likely your Virtuoso upgrade. This is one of a handful of properties that does this and it can be a wonderful benefit. Most other hotels provide an upgrade at time of check-in.

Originally Posted by gohima
Just got back from a one night stay on 5/30 and I would say the place is decidedly mediocre overall.

We booked a Premier Park Deluxe on Virtuoso and we got, well a Premier Park Deluxe with a view of HVAC equipment above the pool. I had inquired about the upgrade and got the standard "sorry, we are full" line despite there being availability in every room category online.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Hi, I have a Virtuoso booking here for a few months time. Currently upgraded to a View Premier Deluxe. For $10 a night more, I should be able to get a Park Parlour Suite (if they don't confirm the upgrade then I'll just stay where I am). So is it worth the upgrade? Will I go from a nice view to to a larger room but maybe looking at the AC units? TIA!
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Fairmont, SPG, AA, WN
I had a fantastic time at the PH DC. I thought breakfast at Blue Duck was great and the service was outstanding. All around, the service at the PH DC was probably the best I have received. I generally frequent higher end resort locations such as Grand Hyatts, several ANdAZ locations, Fairmont Kea Lani, Torrey Pines, St. Regis Princeville, etc.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I think PH DC is the best use of a diamond suite upgrade in the states. However, I agree thar BDT has one of the worst service of any restaurant I have ever been to, especially for a higher end restaurant. There are so many servers, yet they'll forget to bring my young kids their food one day and bring it 10-15 minutes after the adults' meals another day. That said, it's still my favorite Hyatt in the states.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.