Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Really Nice Option in DC

Had the chance to stay here two weeks ago for two nights, travelling with my wife and a four-year old. Service here reminds me of what a Hyatt should be - fantastic stay, really great staff. Didn't use a suite upgrade - saved those for longer stays, but got a nice sized room that puts the NYC Andazes to shame.

Breakfast was delicious, and we ate at the Blue Duck on our last night with a (well-behaved) four year old. Food was good and the dinner staff could not have been more accomodating or patient.

Some folks might suggest that the Grand or Regency might be closer to the sights, which is true, but the Valet service here is FAST, and frankly, the hotel was so serene that after a day of doing the DC thing, this place was perfect. Also, you're in walking distance to the restaurants in Georgetown, which was really convenient too. There's no way I'll ever go back to the Grand, and, even though I kind of like the Regency, there is no comparison to this Park Hyatt.

Last edited by nhwiki; Sep 7, 2012 at 5:28 pm
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond; SPG: Gold; UA Platinum; BA Silver; EK Silver
Breakfast update for Diamonds

I was back at the PH Washington last week after a five month gap. Noticed a change at breakfast for Diamonds- previously we were given a small separate menu, but now you can order off the regular menu. The host said that I could order off the regular menu up to the buffet amount ($32). And you can also have the buffet items in addition to ordering off the menu.

Portions are huge. The biggest disappointment was that the fluffy pancakes that were on the Diamond menu are no longer there. Those were my favorite. There is now a blueberry pancakes item on the menu, but they were thin and not too good. They made plain pancakes for me one day, but they were again too thin.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:12 am

Had the good fortune to stay here one night on points this month. At check in we were treated as if we were paying rack rate and were Diamonds, though neither was the case. Received an upgraded room and upon returning to our room in the evening their was a personalized note and bottle of Prosecco wishing my wife a happy birthday - something that was mentioned by her in passing at check in. All of the staff was gracious, but Ramona at the front had world class charm and grace. Looking forward to a return trip for the location and well trained service.

Last edited by BFrankley; Oct 24, 2012 at 12:13 am Reason: Sp
Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:24 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

thinking about a one night stay here in DEcember... possibly paid FHR or Virtuoso; possible award night.. only a plat so....

Spa treatments? looks like they describe the spa as a "room".. any thoughts about that?

FDW
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:50 pm

Question Bathroom Amenities?

Does anybody know if the bathroom amenities are still Blaise Mautin? I was looking at the hotels "Fact Sheet", and on there it says the amenities are Le Labo.

Not that it matters that much, but I remember people really liking the Blaise Mautin products...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Add Content
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:32 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by AspiringTraveler
Does anybody know if the bathroom amenities are still Blaise Mautin? I was looking at the hotels "Fact Sheet", and on there it says the amenities are Le Labo.

Not that it matters that much, but I remember people really liking the Blaise Mautin products...
I was one who loved them. Apparently there were those who did not. The hotel replaced Blaise Mautin a couple years back.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
thinking about a one night stay here in DEcember... possibly paid FHR or Virtuoso; possible award night.. only a plat so.... Spa treatments? looks like they describe the spa as a "room".. any thoughts about that?
Seconding FDW's spa question - anyone have any experience with the spa at this PH? Staying here this weekend with Diamond status on a FHR booking
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by lowimpact
Seconding FDW's spa question - anyone have any experience with the spa at this PH? Staying here this weekend with Diamond status on a FHR booking
While I stay here often, I have to admit that I have never used the spa. I do know there is a little spa room in the gym, which may be what was referred to above. As best I know, there is no separate spa.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:36 am

nice stay in Feb

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the Park Hyatt Washington in DC. I burned up the 2 Chase award nights in the executive suite.

Positives:
* The staff was incredible. There were always 3-4 guys manning the entrance and the front desk was very friendly.
* Diamond breakfast at the Blue duck Tavern was spectacular. My wife and I had $64 to spend each morning. Tip amounts were also removed from the bill. The crab omelet and the Belgian waffles were super. Everything we ordered was good as well.
* The Executive Suite was very spacious and classy. The shower/tub combo was very spacious.
* I loved the coffee pods in the room. These are similar to the ones to the ones in Asia suites.
* I had no problem parking on the street to avoid the hefty fees. There is an app to let me pay the fees by phone so it was very convenient.

Not bad/but not great:
* Fitness area - needed to walk a bit through dimlit hallways to get to the fitness room. I am not sure my wife would feel comfortable going there by herself. The room was nice with good equipment.
* The bed was not up to the typical Hyatt standard. It was a bit.. saggy. We are used to the typical firm Hyatt beds.
* Location was not as good for me. The Grand Hyatt was closer to the DC historical areas.

This was my first stay in a park Hyatt. I enjoyed the service and the overall quality of the hotel.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:01 pm

Great review! I would agree with most, except that I love the bed. The mattresses are usually on the firmer side... but this may well be subjective.

Originally Posted by ahnano

Not bad/but not great:
* Fitness area - needed to walk a bit through dimlit hallways to get to the fitness room. I am not sure my wife would feel comfortable going there by herself. The room was nice with good equipment.
* The bed was not up to the typical Hyatt standard. It was a bit.. saggy. We are used to the typical firm Hyatt beds.
* Location was not as good for me. The Grand Hyatt was closer to the DC historical areas.

This was my first stay in a park Hyatt. I enjoyed the service and the overall quality of the hotel.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:07 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently staying at the hotel and they were kind enough to upgrade me to a nice suite on the top floor.

So I am sorry to report that there were a number of minor things wrong with the room that should have been caught by housekeeping. It is also annoying to find "the card" under your door as early as 10:45am -- you know, the one that says, "we couldn't clean your room because you had the do not disturb on, so you need to call or we won't bother." This shouldn't be showing up until at least noon or 1pm.

Was nice to see a bunch of free drinks and munchies provided but I am not sure if that was just for suites. Was given three notes welcoming me from different members of management, but none of them have appeared in person.

Still a great hotel IMO, and I definitely would stay here again, but I hope the small slippages don't expand!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:53 am

PH Washington REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Wait, you consider it "slippage" that the managers wrote you a note but didn't appear in person? Seriously?

What were the "minor things wrong" that housekeeping didn't catch?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
Wait, you consider it "slippage" that the managers wrote you a note but didn't appear in person? Seriously?

What were the "minor things wrong" that housekeeping didn't catch?
In luxury hotels, and this most certainly is one, a personal welcome from the GM or another member of the management team is not an unreasonable expectation at all, especially for a higher profile guest such as the OP.

At this particular property the GM is usually quite good about saying hello (I usually see him at least once when I am there).
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:49 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Couple of quick questions...
1) I booked my last Chase award night for a couple weekends from now.. anyway, there were only ADA rooms available.. does anyone have any experience either getting moved from an ADA room to a regular room or negotiating an upgrade prior to check-in (paid or points) and who would be the best contact for that?
2) Blue Duck Tavern appears to not have any reservations on opentable available.. does anyone have any recommendations for good nearby eats? Or do they sometimes hold back reservations for guests via the concierge or anything?
3) Any street parking nearby or should I just suck it up and pay the valet fee?

Thanks
FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.