Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airfly56
I am planning on staying here on a chase card award, gp said that if I cancels than 24 hours in advance i would be charged the going rate... is that true? pretty steep penalty.
If you cancel after the cancellation deadline or are a no-show, that is the rule for all awards. It is a bit surprising, for what is primarily a business hotel, that the cancellation deadline should be as long as 24 hours in advance, but maybe that is a special condition of the Chase award.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If you cancel after the cancellation deadline or are a no-show, that is the rule for all awards. It is a bit surprising, for what is primarily a business hotel, that the cancellation deadline should be as long as 24 hours in advance, but maybe that is a special condition of the Chase award.
I think it's just the hotel rule.
I know starwood allows you to give the points as the penalty and I guess Hyatt doesn't.
The going rate here is $500 so if there is no other option I think I'll take my chances and book that day. If it's not available I'll go somewhere else.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: Too Many to Count
Stayed here a couple of weeks ago for 2 weekend nights on a paid stay. Didn't really spend much time at the hotel but all interactions with staff were great.

Booked Park Deluxe King, was upgraded to Premier Park Deluxe. Took the points as amenity. Room I got looked a tad worn but still very nice, although it had horrible sound insulation. Not sure what the issue was, but I could hear every single thing in the hallway and next door. Bathroom was great, love the rain shower and tub.

Used gym twice (getting to it is a little annoying - one of those exit the elevator on the third floor, then manually navigate to the second floor kind of place) - only saw two other people in there over course of both visits.

Had to use computer once. Their monitors are HUGE and printing is free in case you're ever in a bind.

B'fast at Blue Duck was decent. Decided to try room service breakfast the next day. Was told at checkout that I'm liable for taxes + delivery charge + gratuity for room service breakfast but that he would remove charges "this time". As a Diamond, wasn't aware of these charges at this property. Maybe it's a recent change?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, SPG Plat
Anyone know how different the junior suite is from the premier park deluxe? I have a premier park deluxe (618 sqft) booked and was offered a $35 upgrade to a junior suite (800 sqft). I've always been under the impression that premier park deluxe rooms are basically junior suites. The room descriptions online doesn't even mention a separate junior suite category. The picture of the junior suite that came with the upgrade offer does not look that great. Any comment appreciated!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:12 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
Stayed here a couple of weeks ago for 2 weekend nights on a paid stay. Didn't really spend much time at the hotel but all interactions with staff were great.

Booked Park Deluxe King, was upgraded to Premier Park Deluxe. Took the points as amenity. Room I got looked a tad worn but still very nice, although it had horrible sound insulation. Not sure what the issue was, but I could hear every single thing in the hallway and next door. Bathroom was great, love the rain shower and tub.

Used gym twice (getting to it is a little annoying - one of those exit the elevator on the third floor, then manually navigate to the second floor kind of place) - only saw two other people in there over course of both visits.

Had to use computer once. Their monitors are HUGE and printing is free in case you're ever in a bind.

B'fast at Blue Duck was decent. Decided to try room service breakfast the next day. Was told at checkout that I'm liable for taxes + delivery charge + gratuity for room service breakfast but that he would remove charges "this time". As a Diamond, wasn't aware of these charges at this property. Maybe it's a recent change?
In August, I got the same story about tax, delivery and gratuity. Seems to be a new policy, but now that Diamonds can check out at 4:00, I'd say treatment of diamonds has, on balance, improved.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond
Hi guys, I'm staying here next week. Does anyone know what the limit of the Diamond Breakfast? $28 per person or is that not enforced and they just take off everything at checkout?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:54 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by liche90
Hi guys, I'm staying here next week. Does anyone know what the limit of the Diamond Breakfast? $28 per person or is that not enforced and they just take off everything at checkout?
Everytime I've stayed there, they've just taken off everything at checkout. But I don't think I was ever expressly told what the policy, so YMMV
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:56 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thc
Everytime I've stayed there, they've just taken off everything at checkout. But I don't think I was ever expressly told what the policy, so YMMV
Ditto.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Exclamation Another great deal bites the dust

If you read the last dozen or so posts there are a number that mention issues and or questions about suites. Apparently the Park Hyatt DC has re-categorized their rooms and there is now a Park parlor Suite, a Park Suite, and a Park Executive Suite (plus the Ambassador and Presidential as before).

During the past couple of years I have had 4 paid weekend stays using diamond suite upgrades. Three times I was booked into the old “Park Suite” classification which was a very large 1,066 square foot 3 room suite on the corner of the building (above the fountain). This suite was featured in Architectural Digest and is the one pictured on the Park Hyatt website under “Park Suite” (and it still is today). It is a great suite… very residential, tasteful, and spacious. One time I was booked into the old “Park Suite” classification, but it was a suite next door to the corner suite (also a large suite, but a highly compromised layout that would never appear in Architectural Digest).

I called the hotel and the newly classified Park Parlor Suite and Park Suite appear to be smaller suites than either of the ones I previously stayed in. Sq Ft sizes quoted were in the 700 range. Speculation: They might be former Premier Park rooms that were perhaps larger or in better positions than an average Premier Park room. Not sure how many of these new suites exist, but from what I can intuit… the “old” suites are now the “Park Executive Suites”.

The daily rate for the Park Executive Suite this coming weekend is $749 which is about what it has been the past couple of years. Base room is $249… the other suite types are $80 and $150 over the base.

The punch question: What do you get with a diamond suite upgrade?

You guessed it… a Park Parlor Suite

I also confirmed this with central reservations while trying to book a suite upgrade for this weekend. Diamond suite upgrade only books into a 625 sq. ft. Park Parlor Suite "with sliding door". Premier Deluxe King is 618 sq. ft. I'm again guessing, but they probably took some of the corner Premier Deluxe King rooms which perhaps are slightly larger (or have longer entry area) and stuck in a sliding door (never stayed in one, so not sure if regular Premier Deluxe King rooms have door between living and bedroom area).

Last edited by schriste; Jan 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Fairmont PC Plat
Originally Posted by schriste
If you read the last dozen or so posts there are a number that mention issues and or questions about suites. Apparently the Park Hyatt DC has re-categorized their rooms and there is now a Park parlor Suite, a Park Suite, and a Park Executive Suite (plus the Ambassador and Presidential as before).

During the past couple of years I have had 4 paid weekend stays using diamond suite upgrades. Three times I was booked into the old “Park Suite” classification which was a very large 1,066 square foot 3 room suite on the corner of the building (above the fountain). This suite was featured in Architectural Digest and is the one pictured on the Park Hyatt website under “Park Suite” (and it still is today). It is a great suite… very residential, tasteful, and spacious. One time I was booked into the old “Park Suite” classification, but it was a suite next door to the corner suite (also a large suite, but a highly compromised layout that would never appear in Architectural Digest).

I called the hotel and the newly classified Park Parlor Suite and Park Suite appear to be smaller suites than either of the ones I previously stayed in. Sq Ft sizes quoted were in the 700 range. Speculation: They might be former Premier Park rooms that were perhaps larger or in better positions than an average Premier Park room. Not sure how many of these new suites exist, but from what I can intuit… the “old” suites are now the “Park Executive Suites”.

The daily rate for the Park Executive Suite this coming weekend is $749 which is about what it has been the past couple of years. Base room is $249… the other suite types are $80 and $150 over the base.

The punch question: What do you get with a diamond suite upgrade?

You guessed it… a Park Parlor Suite.

This is terrible news. First the Andaz Wall Street, now the Park Hyatt DC...two of my (previously) favorite properties becoming stingy with the Diamond suite upgrades.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum/Hilton Gold/Delta FO
Mrs. Epaminondas and I had a great stay here this weekend in a Park Deluxe King. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome, even going so far as to fetch a couple of Diet Cokes for me when I inquired about vending machines (for the record: there are none on the property). The room was gorgeous and well-appointed. Extremely comfortable bed and a deep-soaking bathtub.

We used both the pool and fitness center and were well satisfied with both. We also had dinner at the Blue Duck Tavern, which was excellent as expected.

All in all, we would very happily return to this property.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:41 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Epaminondas
The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome, even going so far as to fetch a couple of Diet Cokes for me when I inquired about vending machines (for the record: there are none on the property).
Vending machines have no place in a Park Hyatt
Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: SK Diamond
Just finished a stay here on AMEX FHR (great rate of $199/night) and I was incredibly happy with this hotel. This was the second time I'd stayed here and this time felt like an improvement over the last time (May 2011). At checkin I was given an upgrade to a "view park deluxe" (if that's what it's called) and was walked to my room. Now on the room, it was huge yes, but it just seemed a little bare. The living room part just felt like it was lacking furniture. Maybe that's just my opinion. The bathroom was great and enormous. Used my $100 f&b credit at the restaurant which was great. The breakfast amenity was explained as continental breakfast in the restaurant when I booked but I was told that I could do room service and order anything I wanted. All in all I was very impressed with this hotel. It wasn't of course at PH Tokyo levels or FS George V but for the US I would definitely choose this hotel again.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
Stayed at the PH DC last week on a diamond suite upgrade (one night stay, so this may have affected it). I was surprised that they offered the Park Suite as the upgrade, as per earlier experiences at the hotel. Suite was very large and comfortable.

Breakfast did not have a "special" diamond menu when I stayed. Overall, service was excellent except for some minor issues (some doors not opening as promptly as desired) - definitely looking forward to staying there again.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by gmax58
Stayed at the PH DC last week on a diamond suite upgrade (one night stay, so this may have affected it). I was surprised that they offered the Park Suite as the upgrade, as per earlier experiences at the hotel. Suite was very large and comfortable.

Breakfast did not have a "special" diamond menu when I stayed. Overall, service was excellent except for some minor issues (some doors not opening as promptly as desired) - definitely looking forward to staying there again.
I have an upcoming suite upgrade stay at this property and when I check my reservation it is still showing up as a standard room. When I call Diamond line they are telling me that everything is all set. Last time I stayed on Diamond suite upgrade in Argentina, my suite upgrade was showing up under my reservation online. Do you remember if you could see your suite upgrade online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.