Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:02 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I wish they would just switch to a $26/person maximum and get rid of the whole diamond menu thing.
But it seems that in reality they comp most breakfasts even above the $26. So why would this be better?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:55 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by srodr
Wait a minute, are you saying that the option to have a room service breakfast is still available as the diamond comp? Or did they still charge you for delivery, service charge, etc?
I was told Diamond room service breakfast would be available until 12:00 noon, and nobody told me that they would not comp service charges as part of this. 12:00 noon is actually later than Diamond breakfast is available in the restaurant. This is especially useful on weekends, when brunch causes official "breakfast" hours to end even earlier than they do on weekdays. And yes, all room service charges were comped, though I'm not sure if this was a guaranteed benefit or if they were being extra nice.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by yosithezet
But it seems that in reality they comp most breakfasts even above the $26. So why would this be better?
True, but I don't feel comfortable asking to see the regular menu when it's clear that they don't want to give it to me. Having to ask for it, makes me feel like I'm a cheapskate looking to take advantage of the system.

To me, if I have to ask for something it's not really much of a benefit. I would feel much better if I was approached from the beginning with an option of the regular menu at $26/person.

This just takes all the game playing out the situtation and ensures that everyone gets the same treatment.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by spgplat21
True, but I don't feel comfortable asking to see the regular menu when it's clear that they don't want to give it to me. Having to ask for it, makes me feel like I'm a cheapskate looking to take advantage of the system.
I see where you're coming from, and I agree with getting rid of the 'diamond menu' altogether. But you should not feel like a cheapskate asking for the regular menu, as instead it should be the hotel itself that feels cheap for trying to force a rather lame menu on diamond members.

The full-breakfast amenity for diamonds is a GP stated benefit, and while hotels get some flexibility in how to fulfill this benefit, I would not expect a PH property to be one to try to limit diamonds in such a way, presumably to save money. Heck, even most of the Hyatt Regency properties that I've been to, usually at <$100 rates, allow diamonds to choose from the menu. At such hotels I would be much more willing to accept a limited 'diamond menu', but certainly not at one of the program's most high-end properties.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: Too Many to Count
I agree about removing the 'diamond menu'. Either subsidize the cost of a buffet (if one's available) or have each property determine an appropriate amount that's subject to Hyatt approval (to prevent them from lowballing diamonds). I also understand from the hotel's perspective how ridiculous it might be for a person to order $60 worth of food just for one person. Less reasonable men than I will tell you that's a tad over the top.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:55 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
I also understand from the hotel's perspective how ridiculous it might be for a person to order $60 worth of food just for one person. Less reasonable men than I will tell you that's a tad over the top.
Not if you've seen the cost of a standard breakfast at this property
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Not if you've seen the cost of a standard breakfast at this property
Agreed, the cold buffet table at this place is $32. A bagel with cream cheese is $12. $7 for coffee. If you're hungry, spending over 50 bucks would be easy.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:37 pm

A final note from my stay: Ordered room service on the last morning instead of going down to the restaurant. At checkout it was removed along with all service charges. I had experienced a few minor issues during the stay, so I can't say if the charges were removed just because of diamond status, or as a favor because of the minor inconveniences that had occurred.

One quick question... I used a suite upgrade for this stay, and did get a nice 3 room suite on the 4th floor. But at checkin had I asked if they could find something on a higher floor and was told no because those rooms were already reserved for "VIPs". I didn't press the issue, but just who would be considered a VIP above a diamond with a confirmed suite upgrade? And how many of these type could possibly be staying there at the same time?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:25 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by srodr
A final note from my stay:

One quick question... I used a suite upgrade for this stay, and did get a nice 3 room suite on the 4th floor. But at checkin had I asked if they could find something on a higher floor and was told no because those rooms were already reserved for "VIPs". I didn't press the issue, but just who would be considered a VIP above a diamond with a confirmed suite upgrade? And how many of these type could possibly be staying there at the same time?
there's a lot going on this week in DC with the election, the DC marathon this weekend and the Jon Stewart rally on Saturday.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:29 am
thc

Originally Posted by pmcary
Was just there this past weekend w/my family.

Car Svc: Mon-Fri only.
Also, the car services is "drop-off" only and not available for "pick up".
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond; SPG: Gold; UA Platinum; BA Silver; EK Silver
No Room Service Bfast comp for me

I checked out Sunday after a good 8-day stay. I used a suite upgrade, and was more than happy with the suite (328), which had a huge living room, small study, and smallish bedroom.

I had breakfast in my room on Sunday, and the charge ($55) appeared on my bill and was not taken off at check-out. I hadn't been following this thread, so it had not crossed my mind to ask for it to be removed.

Last edited by BoSoxinBkk; Oct 29, 2010 at 6:56 am
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:16 am
thc

Does anyone have Walter Brindell's (the GM) email and can message it to me? I wanted to email him to complement on the excellent service I got there recently?

I just completed a stay. I wish there were more Hyatts like this one in the US. I really enjoy this property. My room wasn't ready when I tried to check in at 12PM, but the front desk put a rush on it, and also comped my $18 cup of tea, which I was not expecting.

I used a Diamond suite upgrade and we were upgraded to an Ambassador Suite on the 10th floor. It was a good size and featured a large living area, two TVs and a large bathroom. I've had bigger suites here, but the hotel was really busy this past weekend with the marathon and the rally.

The toiletries were "Bergamot 22" brand, and I liked them. I was never fond of the Blaise Mautin scent, and liked the new stuff provided.

The diamond amenity was a 1/2 bottle of wine and a cheese plate. The wine was a very good Sonoma valley Cabernet. Our internet and breakfast were comped. For breakfast, the server didn't mention any sort of maximum or special menu. He just said "I'll take care of it," and I never saw a charge at either the restaurant or when I checked out.

They got rid of the complimentary in-room coffee/tea service, which I miss. But now they just have complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby.

The gym is nice and there's a nice pool and hot tub (but i found the hot tub to be VERY hot.) There are complimentary Evian waters in the gym.

Even though it was a Sunday, the doorman drove me to the Metro station in the house BMW as a favor, which was very nice.

I always look forward to my return visits here.

Last edited by thc; Oct 31, 2010 at 9:01 pm
Old Nov 1, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I also had a great time at the Park Hyatt Washington DC in the 2Q of this year.

Although I did not use an upgrade certificate, I was upgraded to a Premier Park Deluxe room without asking. I also thought the service throughout the hotel was impeccable.

Post-stay, I emailed GM Mr. Walter Brindell to thank him and his great team for a wonderful time at this property. I will definitely be back! ^^^

p.s. thc, I sent you Mr. Brindell's email address via pm.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
I know this is a totally radical idea (please excuse the sarcasm - really!) but sometimes a letter is more appropriate than an email. This, to me, is one of those times. I think it would mean a lot to the manager to see that someone took the time and rejected the quick, easy way in order to really impress him with how happy they were.

Just my two cents. I love this hotel!

Originally Posted by thc
Does anyone have Walter Brindell's (the GM) email and can message it to me? I wanted to email him to complement on the excellent service I got there recently?

I just completed a stay. I wish there were more Hyatts like this one in the US. I really enjoy this property. My room wasn't ready when I tried to check in at 12PM, but the front desk put a rush on it, and also comped my $18 cup of tea, which I was not expecting.

I used a Diamond suite upgrade and we were upgraded to an Ambassador Suite on the 10th floor. It was a good size and featured a large living area, two TVs and a large bathroom. I've had bigger suites here, but the hotel was really busy this past weekend with the marathon and the rally.

The toiletries were "Bergamot 22" brand, and I liked them. I was never fond of the Blaise Mautin scent, and liked the new stuff provided.

The diamond amenity was a 1/2 bottle of wine and a cheese plate. The wine was a very good Sonoma valley Cabernet. Our internet and breakfast were comped. For breakfast, the server didn't mention any sort of maximum or special menu. He just said "I'll take care of it," and I never saw a charge at either the restaurant or when I checked out.

They got rid of the complimentary in-room coffee/tea service, which I miss. But now they just have complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby.

The gym is nice and there's a nice pool and hot tub (but i found the hot tub to be VERY hot.) There are complimentary Evian waters in the gym.

Even though it was a Sunday, the doorman drove me to the Metro station in the house BMW as a favor, which was very nice.

I always look forward to my return visits here.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:01 pm
thc

Originally Posted by stevens397
I know this is a totally radical idea (please excuse the sarcasm - really!) but sometimes a letter is more appropriate than an email. This, to me, is one of those times. I think it would mean a lot to the manager to see that someone took the time and rejected the quick, easy way in order to really impress him with how happy they were.

Just my two cents. I love this hotel!
I don't really agree that a letter is more apporpriate than an email. And my stay wasn't perfect. For example, the hotel was completely overwhelmed for Sat breakfast and it took a very long time for us to get what we ordered. At one point we got up and grabbed our own pot of coffee for the table because things were taking so long.

We also didn't get our newspaper delivered to our door either morning of our stay even after we mentioned it on the 2nd day.

But overall, the positives outweighed the negatives

At any rate, I already sent my email and got a very nice reply

Last edited by thc; Nov 1, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.