Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by jfhscott
New parking restrictions in DC provide that you may park on the street as long as you want on a Saturday or M-F after 6:30, but you must feed meters until 10 pm - bring a roll of quarters - its $2.00/hr. No restrictions Sunday (except the obvious ones - no parking at a bus stop, fire hydrant, blocking a driveway, etc). That is, you can park all day and do not have to pay.

Staying Fri-Sun at the PH in a couple weeks--a couple of quick questions for those of you who have stayed before:

1. I'm staying though the Amex FHR program, as part of a rate that includes a third night free. Is it worth it to use Hyatt points to upgrade to a suite or is it likely that an upgrade to at least a Premium room will come through as part of FHR? I'm booked in an Executive King room currently.

2. I'd rather not pay valet parking for the full weekend. My understanding of the above post is that I can park after 6:30pm on Friday until Monday morning, and need to feed the meter on Friday until 10pm. How is the parking situation around the hotel? I'm from New York City and drive there, so circling a few blocks for twenty minutes is no problem if it means a free spot for a couple days.

3. Any other suggestions for a first time visitor to the PH DC? I've stayed at the PH in Chicago multiple times and consider it to be one of my favorite hotels anywhere.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:38 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jfhscott
New parking restrictions in DC provide that you may park on the street as long as you want on a Saturday or M-F after 6:30, but you must feed meters until 10 pm - bring a roll of quarters - its $2.00/hr. No restrictions Sunday (except the obvious ones - no parking at a bus stop, fire hydrant, blocking a driveway, etc). That is, you can park all day and do not have to pay.
What is the maximum time you can get in the meter at a single shot? 1 hour? 2 hours? What time in the morning do you need to start the feeding?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by nba1017

2. I'd rather not pay valet parking for the full weekend. My understanding of the above post is that I can park after 6:30pm on Friday until Monday morning, and need to feed the meter on Friday until 10pm. How is the parking situation around the hotel? I'm from New York City and drive there, so circling a few blocks for twenty minutes is no problem if it means a free spot for a couple days.
Actually, under the new program, the meters run on Saturdays as well -- just with the 2-hour limit lifted. The city is busy installing new meter options, including credit card meters and "pay-by-phone" meters that will let you park for longer than traditional meters would, but you'll probably want to park somewhere other than on-street on Saturday.

On a recent trip to that area on a Saturday, I found that the garage on 22nd between L and M (about 3 blocks away) had an all-day rate of $6 or $8 on the weekends. That might be your best bet. (22nd St. is one-way northbound).
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:17 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by c565656
I wanted to report that the hotel has recently switched from Blaise Mautin bath amenities to Spa H20. (http://www.h2oplus.com/retail2002/Catalog.aspx)

I have to say, I don't love these new products.
Oh, dear, that's not good news. I loved the Blaise Mautin scent that was specific to that hotel. I wonder why the change?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Staying Fri-Sun at the PH in a couple weeks--a couple of quick questions for those of you who have stayed before:

1. I'm staying though the Amex FHR program, as part of a rate that includes a third night free. Is it worth it to use Hyatt points to upgrade to a suite or is it likely that an upgrade to at least a Premium room will come through as part of FHR? I'm booked in an Executive King room currently.
From the "Factsheet" for the PHDC there are 84 Park Deluxe rooms (smallest ones) and 113 Premier Park Deluxe rooms.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:42 am

Unfortunately you cannot upgrade the FHR rate to a suite using points, since point suite upgrades require payment of the rack rate. If you have Diamond status with Hyatt you can use a Diamond suite upgrade with the FHR rate.

You are entitled to an upgrade (subject to availability) with you FHR booking, so you most likely will get one. I always remind hotels of this benefit at check-in if they don`t mention that I have been upgraded.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by hoosiereph
Actually, under the new program, the meters run on Saturdays as well -- just with the 2-hour limit lifted. The city is busy installing new meter options, including credit card meters and "pay-by-phone" meters that will let you park for longer than traditional meters would, but you'll probably want to park somewhere other than on-street on Saturday.

On a recent trip to that area on a Saturday, I found that the garage on 22nd between L and M (about 3 blocks away) had an all-day rate of $6 or $8 on the weekends. That might be your best bet. (22nd St. is one-way northbound).
Much better than $40 a night. Thanks for the tip!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:28 pm

Programs: Diamond Hyatt; Platinum DL, AA, SPG; Gold UA
Red face Great Experience with BWB/FFN, Points, Certs

Used 5 BWB/FFN nights for a weekend stay for my extended family. Two Saturday night rooms, three Sunday night rooms.

Great experience, great location. Not as nice as the PH Chicago (Chicago is more like an international 5-star, Washington is more like international 4) but still excellent for the location and the price (free!). Walking distance (.75mi) to georgetown restaurants.

All three rooms were automatically upgraded to deluxe rooms (x31 and x09), even for my lowly platinum status. Used 6k points with the BWB/FFN to upgrade a two-night room to a Park Suite, expansive even with a rollaway in the living room on night 2. Used two regency club certificates to get the $28 diamond breakfast credit for 4 people staying both nights. And got a bowl of peaches with the food & bev amenity coupon (funny, they offered EITHER food OR beverage with this amenity - weird).

I had to ask nicely to upgrade the BWB/FFN using points, as well as to recognize the regency certs for diamond bfast, since I don't think they're supposed to do either - but in the end they were very willing to do it.

Several family members stayed through 3pm Monday and used the morning car service. They were very happy with it.

All told, I only paid $89 (two nights parking). Great place to blow the BWB/FFN, points, and those certificates!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Ironic haha. I noticed that too and have to say I was a bit disappointed the Blaise Mautin products are gone
I stayed the night of the 17th of July and the Blaise Mautin products were there. Any news on if this is true. As a guy I like the more masculine smell. I even left the property with a large bottle of room spray and lotion.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:50 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Oh, dear, that's not good news. I loved the Blaise Mautin scent that was specific to that hotel. I wonder why the change?
Back in Feb - the PH Chicago had the same scent. PH DC still had it back in May - this seems to be a very recent change.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: CO *G
Originally Posted by DCAMatt
I stayed the night of the 17th of July and the Blaise Mautin products were there. Any news on if this is true. As a guy I like the more masculine smell. I even left the property with a large bottle of room spray and lotion.
It's true and I confirmed it with the front desk.

Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by DCAMatt
Are you a smoker per chance?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
Never smoked a day in my life... It does have a smoky smell and as a guy I like it. FYI I like wood burning fireplaces, the smell of leaves in the fall, and masculine guys who know how to kiss.

I had a housekeeping issue with my room and they wanted to send me something to apologize. They suggested an apple pie to take home but since they didn't have one sans gluten I told them I would take any Blaise Mautin products they wanted to part with. I ended up with a large bottle of lotion, bath gel, and institutional bottle of room spray. If you miss the smell you can come visit my place in the DC area.

Originally Posted by schriste
Are you a smoker per chance?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:34 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen this H20+ stuff at the Carmel Hyatt back when it was a PH. It's nice, but even though I am not a huge Blaise Mautin fan, I'd agree that it is not up to the Blaise Mautin level.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Dirt, WN, enjoy managing hubby's AA Plat, CO Gold, and Hyatt Diamond accts
Originally Posted by c565656
It's true and I confirmed it with the front desk.

Wonder why they switched. I'm not a guy, but I still really liked the scent of the Blaise Mautin products. What kind of room were you in? That doesn't look like the tile in the Park Deluxe rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.