Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:29 pm

the restaurant was amazing - we preferred to have in-room service with our own wine - the veggie tart was amazing and both flourless choc cake and apple cake were excellent!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by etsmyers
THAT will irk me. I have 3 rooms, for 2 nights in March and will be Diamond by that point. Now I am certainly not a fighter, but if I am correct, this is a benefit that should not be denied
The benefit is that you get free full breakfast for everybody in the Diamond member's personal room. That doesn't mean you get free breaky for people in Room #2 & #3. You could always try to play the game and book 4 people in one room to get 4 free breakys (although they very well might be able to charge for a 3rd & 4th adult in that room). Or you could hope they extend the free breaky to all 3 of your rooms, but they certainly are not obligated to do that per the T&Cs.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by thezipper
Let us know about your coffee and breakfast charges... only nespresso when I was there last month, and they only took $20 off the bill vs comping for a "full breakfast"... I'd recommend "Hook" up the street in Georgetown for great seafood...
Breakfast charges / morning coffee service charges all wiped upon check-out. Great property and we will return. Did not get a chance to try Hook but have lodged it for future reference, thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
The benefit is that you get free full breakfast for everybody in the Diamond member's personal room. That doesn't mean you get free breaky for people in Room #2 & #3. You could always try to play the game and book 4 people in one room to get 4 free breakys (although they very well might be able to charge for a 3rd & 4th adult in that room). Or you could hope they extend the free breaky to all 3 of your rooms, but they certainly are not obligated to do that per the T&Cs.
This hotel has a cap of 3 people in any room. So the max breakfast they will comp will be 3.

I also had them take $20 pp off the breakfast charge, rather than comping the whole thing (which is what they had done in the past). I was on FHR, though; I'm not a diamond.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: UA1K 0.71+Lifetime ,DL,Hyatt Diamond,SPG,HH
This was my first Park Hyatt last year at this same time and I must say it was fantastic. We were upgraded to a corner suite which was beautiful with a great view. The breakfast was top notch as was a lunch in the same restaurant. Staff were all fantastic.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Possibly my favorite hotel in the States!

This was our fifth visit there. Our son and his family moved to DC when he became a professor at GW and lived nearby. Once he moved into a home further north, we stopped staying there but with free nights to use from the NBT program, we scheduled three nights there. We also paid for one night for my son and his wife figuring we would take the two young grandchildren and let them have a special night to themselves. Paid for the night and used one of my remaining suite upgrades for them.

When we checked in, our favorite doorman, Mustafa, was not there but we went to the front desk. As we were checking in, he came over and gave us an incredible welcome. We were blown away. Even more remarkably, on a free NBT night, they upgraded us to the same corner suites we had always used points to upgrade to in the past. This was TOTALLY unexpected.

Got a call two days before we went there as the hotel was confused when they saw both a three day and a one day reservation in my name. I explained the situation and happened to mention that it was my daugher-in-laws birthday. You guessed the rest - they had a bottle of wine and servings of apple pie for them at check-in.

Add the free breakfasts, the beautiful hotel and the warmth of the solicitous staff and I simply could not imagine a better experience anywhere. Not sure there is one area where they could have done better.

Oh yeah - last night when we got back to the hotel, I asked about what time to leave and get a taxi to be able to catch a 12 Noon train from Union Station. She checked and said that they would be happy to take me there in the courtesy car! What impressed me the most is that when this offer was made, she did not know who I was, what room I was in, and that I was a Diamond Elite. This is simply how this hotel treats its guests. That blew me away more than anything.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 5:54 am

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by stevens397

When we checked in, our favorite doorman, Mustafa, was not there but we went to the front desk. As we were checking in, he came over and gave us an incredible welcome. We were blown away. Even more remarkably, on a free NBT night, they upgraded us to the same corner suites we had always used points to upgrade to in the past. This was TOTALLY unexpected.

Oh yeah - last night when we got back to the hotel, I asked about what time to leave and get a taxi to be able to catch a 12 Noon train from Union Station. She checked and said that they would be happy to take me there in the courtesy car! What impressed me the most is that when this offer was made, she did not know who I was, what room I was in, and that I was a Diamond Elite. This is simply how this hotel treats its guests. That blew me away more than anything.
3 things about this hotel will keep us coming back when we are visiting DC 1) Mustafa 2) breakfasts 3) that courtesy car for 5 mile distances....
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by stevens397

This was our fifth visit there. Our son and his family moved to DC when he became a professor at GW and lived nearby. Once he moved into a home further north, we stopped staying there but with free nights to use from the NBT program, we scheduled three nights there. We also paid for one night for my son and his wife figuring we would take the two young grandchildren and let them have a special night to themselves. Paid for the night and used one of my remaining suite upgrades for them.

Got a call two days before we went there as the hotel was confused when they saw both a three day and a one day reservation in my name. I explained the situation and happened to mention that it was my daugher-in-laws birthday. You guessed the rest - they had a bottle of wine and servings of apple pie for them at check-in.

Add the free breakfasts, the beautiful hotel and the warmth of the solicitous staff and I simply could not imagine a better experience anywhere. Not sure there is one area where they could have done better.

Yes, Mustafa is a fantastic doorman. He doesn't save the fact that the service is often completely inept (although usually friendly), but he certainly helps. What I'll never understand about this hotel is that it wants to be very premium and all, but they just haven't gotten the service together enough to make it a really premium experience.

For anyone curious about the courtesy car, it is only available weekday mornings. So don't make plans on using it except for those times.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Question on bed types...

I have one remaining FFN to burn and so am going to take mom to DC at the end of March. Both king and twin room is available, but I am wondering if:

1) the twin beds are really twins or are they full-size beds?

2) if I book a twin will it decrease my shot at a suite upgrade? (I assume they have more king suites)

I'd rather have a suite and ask for a rollaway bed than be stuck with a tiny room with 2 tiny beds, so any recommendations on which to book?

Last edited by srodr; Feb 20, 2010 at 11:36 pm
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by srodr
I have one remaining FFN to burn and so am going to take mom to DC at the end of March. Both king and twin room is available, but I am wondering if:

1) the twin beds are really twins or are they full-size beds?

2) if I book a twin will it decrease my shot at a suite upgrade? (I assume they have more king suites)

I'd rather have a suite and ask for a rollaway bed than be stuck with a tiny room with 2 tiny beds, so any recommendations on which to book?
1) Twins are really twins. I'm still confused as to why they did this.

2) I've gotten upgrades from twin rooms to king rooms, so it doesn't appear to matter. In fact, all rooms above the basic room are only kings so if you get an upgrade, you WILL get king plus rollaway.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:54 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
What is the parking situation here on the weekend vs. weekday? Are there any cheaper options around (would even be willing to park in NoVa and take the Metro in)?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:54 am

I just got back from the PH and the street parking looked very scarce indeed.

There is lots of parking across the river in Arlington, adjacent to Rosslyn station, which is one stop east on the Blue Line from Foggy Bottom/GWU, which is a few blocks from the PH.

I actually rented twice from DCA, which is about a 15 minute drive to the hotel in traffic, and dropped the car off at the end of each day, taking the metro back. Not super convenient but not onerous either. DC's metro system is among the best in the USA, IMHO.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:16 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Have there been any changes to DIA breakfasts at PHDC? I read in another thread that they give you a selection, omlette + bev. or cold cereal + bev. and not allowing one to order off the menu liek before....

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:59 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by thezipper
Have there been any changes to DIA breakfasts at PHDC? I read in another thread that they give you a selection, omlette + bev. or cold cereal + bev. and not allowing one to order off the menu liek before....

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
We were there last month (see my post above) and I saw no change. Order whatever you want and no charge at all.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 6:59 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

During my stay, I was not given the normal menu but the Diamond menu. I was fine with that but I wouldn't have been uncomfortable asking for a full menu. The breakfast staff were top-notch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.