Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by MadProfessor
I'm heading to DC for work this weekend and just received confirmation that I'm in an ambassador suite at the Park Hyatt. Having never stayed at a Hyatt before (we usually use SPG) does anybody know what the room is like?
1) Where do you see this confirmation? My reservation (for which I am using a Diamond suite upgrade) doesn't show anything; in fact, it's just blank next to room preference.

2) I'm there this weekend to. If I don't get an upgrade because you did I'll be pissed!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Hey Crimson

My room is a revenue room not an upgrade. And it said it on my TA voucher from our corporate TA. I then checked with Hyatt Gold Passport when I signed up for it because I couldn't find my reservation on their system myself. The Hyatt agent also confirmed my room class.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:46 am

Whew! Much better

I was able to call and confirm my upgrade into the Park Executive Suite so I'm happy. Weird that it doesn't show up on my reservation online though. I have another reservation in a couple of weeks and it says in red letters "DIAMOND SUITE UPGRADE CONFIRMED" on the confirmation e-mail.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:22 pm

WOW.

Just got back from a few days at the PH in Washington. It was fantastic.

1. Booked through Amex FHR and used a Diamond Suite upgrade. As some may have seen from my other postings, this was initially a hassle but eventually worked out well.

2. Not sure what I think of the aesthetics immediately upon entrance into the hotel. After check in and to the right is the bar, which is really cool -- like the glass/wood/metal motif, which seems to be in play throughout the hotel.

3. Upgraded into an Ambassador Suite (just like MadProfessor). http://parkwashington.hyatt.com/hyat...=photo&start=1 The website says it's 1224 sqft, and if so, it's bigger than my apartment. It certainly felt that way.

4. Amex FHR came with a $100 food and beverage credit. The package also included the American Breakfast, $32, for two each day.

5. The hotel told me that the breakfast can be taken as room service, and can be applied toward brunch on Sundays (they will just apply a $32 credit to whatever you order, and you pay the overage). I did not make reservations for brunch and the restaurant was packed, so I had a room service brunch on Sunday. French toast was delicious and the "frittata omelete" was also very good. They mis-charged for two bloody marys (menu said $10 and they charged $15) but adjusted this when I noted it at checkout. I actually had a friend over at the time, so he ate with us as well. I think this is the right approach -- let people order whatever they want, and just apply the same $64 credit no matter what.

6. Had dinner at the Blue Duck Tavern with the $100 Amex credit. Seems to be a "farm to table" type of restaurant. You walk through the open kitchen to get to the dining area from the lobby. (Restaurant also has a direct entrance from the street.) Food was very good as were interesting seasonal cocktails. Try the apple pie -- it's their specialty.

7. Breakfast on day 2 was straightforward, in the restaurant. Very good. Couldn't tell if I was supposed to serve myself the croissants, etc., that were set out by the kitchen?

8. Service was very nice and attentive. We had a baby/stroller and staff was always helpful with doors, carrying stroller down steps, etc. Room service/housekeeping were very helpful with ice buckets, milk for coffee (rooms have Nespresso machines but no creamer/milk), etc.

9. The Ambassador suite is clearly designed for entertaining. An alcove off of the seating area has a sink, shelves with lots of plates, wine glasses, napkins, silverware, etc. Also some sugar cookies, trail mix, dried apricots, dried cranberries (?! weird). This area was very helpful when we had some friends over.

10. A few very small nits:
  • Light switches were hard to figure out
  • Nespresso machine had only two types of pods; PH Vendome in Paris had much better selection
  • Housekeeping, though nice, came infrequently; room was still un-made well into the afternoon
  • Water in the shower didn't get very hot

Oh, but who am I kidding, this was a great suite, and a fantastic deal at $249. For $249/nt plus tax, I got a great suite, $64 credit at brunch on Sunday, free breakfast Monday, $100 credit at dinner on Sunday, and free wifi. That is a great deal no matter how you slice it.

Hats off to PH Washington.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:32 pm

It's 2.5 hours past check in time and the room still isn't ready.
Service from Shane the concierge and one of the bellman has been great.
Woman at front desk, not so much.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
This happened once here for us with my beloved Hen and our 6 year old puppy, Surfer. IMHO, this is the poor end of Hyatt allowing Diamonds to have a 4 pm check out. Say the OP had a suite, and then previous guest did not leave till a little after 4pm; it takes (my guess) at least 30 minutes (or a lot more, if there was a pet there too or the earlier guests were, well to be blunt--slobs) for the suite to be readied (assuming two maids). The inspection of the room (suite) an additional some minutes.

In our instance, the previous guest left the safe locked. The engineer had to be called to open the safe, with a witness and if anything found, documented. This added about another 45 minutes to our wait.

So our wait was a little less, then the OP, but the Park did there best to make the wait as best they could. Hanging out in the lobby with an 80 lb Chesapeake Bay retriever does not allow the staff to forget about us (grin). Overall, I guess we waited about 2 hrs or so for our suite to be open to us.

We have stayed at the Park often over the past two years. This occurrence has been rare for us and the Park has always gone out of the way to make the rest of our stay as pleasant as possible.

I hope the OP follows up with further information about their stay.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:32 pm

Sorry this will be long. I’ll start by saying that we really enjoyed our stay at the Park Hyatt Washington!

As I mentioned in the previous post we had to wait until almost 6pm to get into our room (check in is at 3pm). We got to the hotel a little after 4pm. We were booked in an executive suite through a Virtuoso agent that also guaranteed us a 4 pm check out so I understand. Waiting would not have been so bad had it not been 99 degrees outside and if we didn’t just get off a 5 hour plane ride plus 1 hour car ride with 2 little kids. We were also hoping to rest a bit before we went to see the fireworks at 9 pm.
I should clarify why I didn’t think the woman at the front desk who checked us in was great. She was friendly and gave us the run down of all our virtuoso benefits, our length of stay. Then when I was expecting to be handed my keys, she drops the bomb that our room isn’t ready yet but she’ll let me know when it will be ready. I guess the way she said it made it not seem like a big deal and to me it was. We booked the car service through them so they knew when we’re arriving and that we had 2 little kids with us, etc…. But while we waited in the lobby, the bellman checked on us repeatedly and even brought the kids sugar cookies.
At 5:20ish I checked on our room again and it turns out they had to fix one of the blinds in addition to waiting for the people before us to check out at 4pm. But this time, the other front desk person offered a room for us to freshen up in while we wait. He was also very apologetic. I thought this was a great idea and wished they had offered it to me in the beginning. I wouldn’t have been so disappointed and checking us in late would have been just a minor nuisance. In the end we ended up with a great executive suite on the top floor and they had more cookies, apple juice/cider chilled on ice and apricots waiting for us. It might have been because of virtuoso booking but not really sure.

Here are the virtuoso benefits:

• Upgrade to Premier at the time of booking, subject to availability

• Daily full American breakfast for up to two in-room guests, in restaurant 

• Seasonal welcome amenity specially selected for Virtuoso guests

• One $75 USD Food & Beverage credit, per stay

• Guaranteed 4 PM late check-out
As a lowly GP platinum, this was a great. When we booked it, the benefit above just said “upgrade at time of booking”. I wonder if they changed it to say “Premier”… Anyway we paid whatever the room rate was for the room below an executive suite and received an automatic upgrade to executive suite at time of booking. I think that was a savings of $500/night and got us an extra 600 square feet at no charge?! At breakfast we were given a credit of $64 (equivalent to two full American breakfast). For 2 adults and 2 kids (kids menu), it covered a dish for each of us. We received free hot beverages for being gold passport members. The restaurant was a real highlight. I love that the kids’ menu was just a smaller version of adult dishes. So same great quality for half the size and half the price. I would love it if other Hyatts did the same thing instead of offering that generic kids menu (Johnny venture?) consisting of hot dogs and microwaved mac and cheese they have at their resorts.
Other than getting a great deal and eating at a great in house restaurant, I really loved everything about the hotel. The location, the décor of the room, the people (concierge, bellman, housekeeping, servers at the restaurant). Housekeeping would have our room clean by the time we were done at breakfast, concierge got us a table at BDT when there was none available on opentable and tracked down a car seat when they thought we needed one, the servers at breakfast never brought us a bill except on the first day when we ordered extra food. What I loved best was we felt that our kids were welcomed by everyone at the hotel! I was actually surprised how many young families were there. It was just a really comfortable stay. Oh and the front desk was good overall. It was the first time where there was nothing wrong on my bill at check out!
All in all, I’m a fan. I hope to be back someday at Park Hyatt DC (but not during the summer )
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:24 pm

ck, I think you stayed in the suite I stayed in (1024?) just a couple of days after me (I checked out on 7/2).

Originally Posted by ck2003
...concierge got us a table at BDT when there was none available on opentable...
I forgot to mention that they got me a table at BDT when there was none available as well. There was nothing on OpenTable, and nothing when I called. I then mentioned that I'm staying at the hotel and I got a table at just about my preferred time. (I think +/- 15 minutes, I don't remember). Another nice perk for hotel guests. (It wasn't clear if I got this because of my Diamond status or just for being a guest.)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
ck, I think you stayed in the suite I stayed in (1024?) just a couple of days after me (I checked out on 7/2).

I forgot to mention that they got me a table at BDT when there was none available as well. There was nothing on OpenTable, and nothing when I called. I then mentioned that I'm staying at the hotel and I got a table at just about my preferred time. (I think +/- 15 minutes, I don't remember). Another nice perk for hotel guests. (It wasn't clear if I got this because of my Diamond status or just for being a guest.)
We were a couple of doors down. We weren't in an ambassador suite but in an executive suite. Did your suite have fancy double doors? If so, my kids were trying to open that one because they thought it led to a regency club
I forgot to add that there was also no nickel and diming. Rollaway was free and so was the fridge we requested.

Last edited by ck2003; Jul 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by ck2003
We were a couple of doors down. We weren't in an ambassador suite but in an executive suite. Did your suite have fancy double doors? If so, my kids were trying to open that one because they thought it led to a regency club
I forgot to add that there was also no nickel and diming. Rollaway was free and so was the fridge we requested.
Haha, yes. I was telling my wife that I've stayed in a lot of nice hotels but never one with double doors, certainly not on personal travel!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt dia
Stayed at this hotel last month using the FRTIME promo and really enjoyed my stay!

They first tried to get me to pay for an upgrade to the PPD room (originally booked PDK). I declined and they upgraded me anyways. Got room #1001 which was top floor in the far corner. AWESOME room.

Promo breakfast was in BDT which was the American breakfast - food was pretty standard. I had an early morning flight and they arranged coffee and a bagel to-go as a substitute. They finalized the bill the night before so check-out was a breeze.

Used the hell out of the bike valet program which pretty much made the trip. Was really fun riding around and is a great way to explore the city.

Final bill including taxes ended up being $500 for the 3 nights. Would love to come back to this hotel.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by updawg
Stayed at this hotel last month using the FRTIME promo and really enjoyed my stay!

They first tried to get me to pay for an upgrade to the PPD room (originally booked PDK). I declined and they upgraded me anyways. Got room #1001 which was top floor in the far corner. AWESOME room.

Promo breakfast was in BDT which was the American breakfast - food was pretty standard. I had an early morning flight and they arranged coffee and a bagel to-go as a substitute. They finalized the bill the night before so check-out was a breeze.

Used the hell out of the bike valet program which pretty much made the trip. Was really fun riding around and is a great way to explore the city.

Final bill including taxes ended up being $500 for the 3 nights. Would love to come back to this hotel.
Wait, FRTIME was buy two get one? I thought it was buy three get one?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by crimson12
Wait, FRTIME was buy two get one? I thought it was buy three get one?
3 for the price of 2 is correct!

I miss the sticky buns and waffles breakfast at the blue duck tavern!

*drools*

Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:17 pm

So weird! I spent two days there in early June (Ambassador Suite, 1024), and I could have sworn I checked FRTIME and it was 3+1 not 2+1 ( if it was, I would have stayed an extra night). Maybe the deal has changed?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 3:47 pm

Had a quick one night stay last night. First time at the PH, usually stay at a *wood property or a Ritz Carlton.

Location is great, I love being able to stroll over into Georgetown. The lobby/lounge area was pleasant enough, though rather plain. Sitting in the glass cubicles around the bar was interesting.

The room was nice, got upgraded to a King room that going by the descriptions here was a sort of junior suite. Sitting area with several chairs and a desk, bedroom separated by a wall with a reversible section that had the TV on it, which was cool, but I'd rather just have a TV in both rooms. Humungous bathroom with open tile shower. Room was generally kind of plain decor wise.

Staff was generally very good, didn't have any issues so can't comment on their problem solving ability, which is a good thing I reckon! One of the better parts of my stay for sure, and something I certainly look for.

Would recommend for sure.

A few highly amateur photos can be seen here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.