FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:22 pm
crimson12

WOW.

Just got back from a few days at the PH in Washington. It was fantastic.

1. Booked through Amex FHR and used a Diamond Suite upgrade. As some may have seen from my other postings, this was initially a hassle but eventually worked out well.

2. Not sure what I think of the aesthetics immediately upon entrance into the hotel. After check in and to the right is the bar, which is really cool -- like the glass/wood/metal motif, which seems to be in play throughout the hotel.

3. Upgraded into an Ambassador Suite (just like MadProfessor). http://parkwashington.hyatt.com/hyat...=photo&start=1 The website says it's 1224 sqft, and if so, it's bigger than my apartment. It certainly felt that way.

4. Amex FHR came with a $100 food and beverage credit. The package also included the American Breakfast, $32, for two each day.

5. The hotel told me that the breakfast can be taken as room service, and can be applied toward brunch on Sundays (they will just apply a $32 credit to whatever you order, and you pay the overage). I did not make reservations for brunch and the restaurant was packed, so I had a room service brunch on Sunday. French toast was delicious and the "frittata omelete" was also very good. They mis-charged for two bloody marys (menu said $10 and they charged $15) but adjusted this when I noted it at checkout. I actually had a friend over at the time, so he ate with us as well. I think this is the right approach -- let people order whatever they want, and just apply the same $64 credit no matter what.

6. Had dinner at the Blue Duck Tavern with the $100 Amex credit. Seems to be a "farm to table" type of restaurant. You walk through the open kitchen to get to the dining area from the lobby. (Restaurant also has a direct entrance from the street.) Food was very good as were interesting seasonal cocktails. Try the apple pie -- it's their specialty.

7. Breakfast on day 2 was straightforward, in the restaurant. Very good. Couldn't tell if I was supposed to serve myself the croissants, etc., that were set out by the kitchen?

8. Service was very nice and attentive. We had a baby/stroller and staff was always helpful with doors, carrying stroller down steps, etc. Room service/housekeeping were very helpful with ice buckets, milk for coffee (rooms have Nespresso machines but no creamer/milk), etc.

9. The Ambassador suite is clearly designed for entertaining. An alcove off of the seating area has a sink, shelves with lots of plates, wine glasses, napkins, silverware, etc. Also some sugar cookies, trail mix, dried apricots, dried cranberries (?! weird). This area was very helpful when we had some friends over.

10. A few very small nits:
  • Light switches were hard to figure out
  • Nespresso machine had only two types of pods; PH Vendome in Paris had much better selection
  • Housekeeping, though nice, came infrequently; room was still un-made well into the afternoon
  • Water in the shower didn't get very hot

Oh, but who am I kidding, this was a great suite, and a fantastic deal at $249. For $249/nt plus tax, I got a great suite, $64 credit at brunch on Sunday, free breakfast Monday, $100 credit at dinner on Sunday, and free wifi. That is a great deal no matter how you slice it.

Hats off to PH Washington.