Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by iahphx
As a Globalist on an award stay, I'd describe this as a good but not great Hyatt Regency.Certainly not as nice a property as the much newer Hyatt Regency in Seattle. Good central downtown location, but not as pleasant a location for tourists as the Westin (which is quieter, on the water and next to Stanley Park, which is the city's top attraction). Free parking for Globalists on award stays is a big plus if you're travelling with a car. Interestingly, this was the first private pay parking garage I've ever seen without gates: they simply record your license plate (not sure what they'd do if you didn't pay!).
The Westin isn't as accessible as the HR Vancouver. The SkyTrain station is right next to the Hyatt. If you want to take transit to the Westin, it'll have to be by bus.

Also, parking isn't free on paid or award at the Westin. Not really sure what you mean by gates, but at night, they do close the gate to enter the parking lot. There is a sensor that detects an incoming vehicle and then the gate opens. Source? Me.

Similar to other Flyertalkers, we just got upgraded to a high floor room. Certainly a nice view, but not as nice as in Seattle as many other skyscrapers blocked some of the water view. Some rooms have small balonies which I suspect are of marginal value -- we chose a higher floor view over a balcony.

Breakfast buffet at the Mosaic Restaurant was good, but not great. Egg station and standard Hyatt Regency buffet, but somewhat limited options.
The breakfast certainly isn't amazing, but I'm spoiled with my Asian and European stays. Having said that, the breakfast at the HR Vancouver is competitive with North American Hyatts.

No other Globalist perks, but my wife asked nicely for drink vouchers at check-in, and they were provided. The Grain bar is pleasant with an outdoor terrace overlooking the street below.

BTW, the local hotel union is threatening a strike at this hotel, so you should google the situation before your arrival. The hotel says services will be limited if a strike occurs. For the moment, service at the hotel is good.

Vancouver is a pretty city, but not that much for tourists to do. We spent 2 days and 1 night, and that was enough for us. Huge homeless drug addict problem in town, but they seem to keep in under control in the downtown area by the hotel. Venture a little east to Chinatown and part of the Gastown neighborhood and you will see things on the streets that will make you sad and possibly angry (leaving these people to live like this on the streets is clearly inhumane).

Bottomline, given the high room rates for just a decent experience, I'd probably only pick this hotel if I were a Globalist on an award stay.
You could say that about Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles as well. Lots of homeless people and they also look like drug addicts. Those people don't really congregate around the HR Vancouver. Gastown is also a bit of a walk from the Hyatt. You'll have to walk much further east before you'll start seeing those problems.

Originally Posted by Zorak
FWIW when I was there a year ago it was not mentioned or offered proactively, I had to ask about it. (I've visited again since then, but on my more recent stay the timing of the day's activities meant I skipped breakfast, so no further data points...)
The last time I saw the breakfast menu, nothing really stood out for me. It's largely a variation of what you would get at the buffet. The buffet is a better option since you don't have to worry about the dollar amount. It's North America and you ain't going to get any better until you head to Asia or Europe. I have yet to have been to a North American Hyatt that has impressed me.

Last edited by lsquare; Aug 13, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Old Aug 13, 2023, 8:18 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Moderator hat on

Unless it directly impacts the property, discussion of the homeless situation is off topic and likely to lead to the sort of debate better suited for OMNI/PR.

Not saying the topic isn't worthy of discussion, just that this is not the best place for it. Thanks.

Moderator hat off

Originally Posted by lsquare
The last time I saw the breakfast menu, nothing really stood out for me. It's largely a variation of what you would get at the buffet. The buffet is a better option since you don't have to worry about the dollar amount. It's North America and you ain't going to get any better until you head to Asia or Europe. I have yet to have been to a North American Hyatt that has impressed me.
I looked back at the menu I posted in #404 and for me it was mainly the eggs benedict. I forget if you could assemble your own avocado toast or the quinoa bowl from the buffet components (the bagel & lox you certainly could).

Anyway, yeah, not saying it was impressive, just nice as a change of pace...
Old Aug 13, 2023, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moderator hat on

Unless it directly impacts the property, discussion of the homeless situation is off topic and likely to lead to the sort of debate better suited for OMNI/PR.

Not saying the topic isn't worthy of discussion, just that this is not the best place for it. Thanks.

Moderator hat off

I looked back at the menu I posted in #404 and for me it was mainly the eggs benedict. I forget if you could assemble your own avocado toast or the quinoa bowl from the buffet components (the bagel & lox you certainly could).

Anyway, yeah, not saying it was impressive, just nice as a change of pace...
I hear ya and I have ordered off the menu before they brought back the buffet. I've spent more than 100 nights at the HR Vancouver since the start of the pandemic. I guess I got used to it. I don't think the breakfast is really that special, but I always say I'm spoiled by my Asian and European stays. If you're a big eater like me, the buffet is the better deal. They also give me unlimited juice and coffee. Before when I ordered off the menu, I had to worry about the dollar figure. I was at the Andaz Tokyo in June 2023 and honestly, their breakfast blows whatever HR Vancouver has out of the water. It ain't even close.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have they removed the option for Globalists to order off the menu? That was useful on a longer stay when I grew bored of the buffet...
The waiter did offer us the option to order off the menu, but since we were there for just one day -- and they offer made-to-order eggs on the buffet -- we just opted for the buffet and didn't see a menu.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by broshiggie
stayed on the 19th. valet was strangely insistent about letting me know about the $72 fee.
I see you mention valet. Hyatt's website says self-parking is $41.66/night -- any reason to suspect that isn't accurate? (I'm staying here for 4 nights in November, will likely have a car but don't have to have one all 4 days.)
Old Aug 13, 2023, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I see you mention valet. Hyatt's website says self-parking is $41.66/night -- any reason to suspect that isn't accurate? (I'm staying here for 4 nights in November, will likely have a car but don't have to have one all 4 days.)
It sounds about right. There is also a meter in the parking lot if you don't want to pay the daily rate.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 2:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Stayed here for a week. Can't say it was super pleasant what with the closed club lounge, looming threat of a strike, and downright rude correspondence from management, but after all is said and done, I can't think of a better property in downtown Vancouver (I am brand loyal but to four: Hilton/IHG/Hyatt/Marriott). So I guess... the property wins. They can be as rude as they want!

That said, we were able to order off of the menu, though it wasn't proactively offered. Some of the most disgusting avocado toast I've ever been served. They also let us order takeout so we could eat in our room (no room service, remember this hotel has been cost cut to the bone).
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stvr
Stayed here for a week. Can't say it was super pleasant what with the closed club lounge, looming threat of a strike, and downright rude correspondence from management, but after all is said and done, I can't think of a better property in downtown Vancouver (I am brand loyal but to four: Hilton/IHG/Hyatt/Marriott). So I guess... the property wins. They can be as rude as they want!

That said, we were able to order off of the menu, though it wasn't proactively offered. Some of the most disgusting avocado toast I've ever been served. They also let us order takeout so we could eat in our room (no room service, remember this hotel has been cost cut to the bone).
Same. I try to avoid booking anything but these four brands.

How were they rude?
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:44 pm

Was the pool warm enough?

QUOTE=stvr;35507499]Stayed here for a week. Can't say it was super pleasant what with the closed club lounge, looming threat of a strike, and downright rude correspondence from management, but after all is said and done, I can't think of a better property in downtown Vancouver (I am brand loyal but to four: Hilton/IHG/Hyatt/Marriott). So I guess... the property wins. They can be as rude as they want!

That said, we were able to order off of the menu, though it wasn't proactively offered. Some of the most disgusting avocado toast I've ever been served. They also let us order takeout so we could eat in our room (no room service, remember this hotel has been cost cut to the bone).[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 27, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
What is the standard room type here? Would like to use points for March 15-17 (Friday-Sunday) but there are no points rooms available despite at least three types of King non-suite rooms available for $.

Is this hotel playing games where only King rooms with odd numbers on the first two floors (or similar) 😀 are for points?
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Is this hotel playing games where only King rooms with odd numbers on the first two floors (or similar) 😀 are for points?
Yes, they are playing games. They always have been. Once I had to get my concierge involved and lo and behold they opened up an available room so that I can redeem (which was then upgraded to the Suite they were selling but didnt offer on points..)
Old Aug 29, 2023, 9:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

I initially booked a base room with points, always hoping for an upgrade as a globalist. Then I read a number of posts here and elsewhere that led me to feel that an upgrade was unlikely. I knew I wanted a suite so pivoted to booking an 800 sq ft executive suite. I was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a 1500 sq ft Discovery Suite. The suite has two living rooms, with with a pull out sofa. That room has a full bathroom off of it. At the other end of the suite is the bedroom, also with a full bathroom. There is a half bath off the entry. There is a small kitchen with a bar and three stools. There is a dining room table with 8 chairs. There is also a small desk. Colors are dull but seating is comfortable.

Apparently rooms used to have Nespresso coffee machines. They have been switched out for Keurigs. My husband said his coffee was horrible. He spoke to the front desk who found a Nespresso machine for the suite.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt glob, KLM/AirFrance plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Apparently rooms used to have Nespresso coffee machines. They have been switched out for Keurigs. My husband said his coffee was horrible. He spoke to the front desk who found a Nespresso machine for the suite.
If you're into good coffee, are still there, and have a few free hours, I'd recommend going to Revolver in Gastown. Among the coffee shops within walking distance from the hotel that I tried, they're the best.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by stvr
Can't say it was super pleasant... but after all is said and done, I can't think of a better property in downtown Vancouver.
I've moved camp to the Pinnacle Harbourfront on Hastings, about three minutes' walk from this somewhat deteriorated HR. The staff, Coal Harbour views, and general value down there more than trump the missed WOH points.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm here at the hotel and think their bottled water policy changed. I don't recall having a problem asking for bottled water in the past, but now I'm being told that it's only two bottles for free per day for elites. Non-elites have to pay C$6.75/bottle. This is for "Proud Source Spring Water".

Breakfast is from 6:30 AM to 11:00 AM for those that don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.