Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Oh wow! During Vancouver Fringe Theatre Festival! I went to it in 2017, but I'm at home now.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Brendan
Oh wow! During Vancouver Fringe Theatre Festival! I went to it in 2017, but I'm at home now.
No sure that really has any impact. It's still cruise season and the hotel has been PACKED all summer long.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:51 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
From what I heard the strike causes a major chaos there
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by peter42
From what I heard the strike causes a major chaos there
Checked in around 9 pm, skeleton crews mostly managers on duty. FD is very long lines for check in. No club we will be able to eat at restaurant, however it is limited server also.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Received an email regarding my upcoming 5 night stay:

We look forward to welcoming you to Hyatt Regency Vancouver for your upcoming stay.

Ahead of your visit, we wanted to make you aware of a potential labor union situation you may experience during your stay from demonstrations and / or work stoppage by Vancouver's local UNITE HERE labor union.

Due to the work stoppage, we have modified a number of our operations to maintain a consistent level of service offered.

Housekeeping: Guest rooms will not be serviced daily. A variety of amenities, towels, and bottles of water will be available in the lobby. Please inquire with lobby staff to obtain additional items. If you are in need of towel or trash service, please contact the hotel operator prior to 12 noon and an associate will attend to your room prior to 5pm.

Mosaic Grille: Open daily for breakfast, we will be offering a $15 breakfast buffet inclusive of a selection of hot and continental items as well as a coffee and juice station.
Breakfast 6:30 AM to 10:00 AM

Mosaic Bar: Hours of operation will be 5:00pm – 9:00pm, serving a small selection of chef's choice appetizers as well as alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages for purchase.

Hotel Access: We recommend you carry your hotel key card with you at all times during your stay.

As with a number of hotels in Vancouver, the Hyatt Regency Vancouver is in negotiations with UNITE HERE, and we are optimistic about reaching a fair contract in the best interests of the hotel and our colleagues as quickly as possible.

We are available if you have any concerns about these events and we encourage you to let us know if there's anything we can do to make your experience at our hotel better.

As always, thank you for choosing to stay with us and please reach out with any questions.

Regards,

Lin Schatz
General Manager
Hyatt Regency Vancouver

First of all the email didn't come from Lin but a general mailbox in Omaha. This alone leaves a bad taste IMHO. I also don't like that they send this unpersonalized email without mentioning the remedy for club guests and that the lounge is in fact closed. Why do they mention the "a $15 breakfast buffet" ?

I paid with points and prices at alternate properties are through the roof right now so definitely won't cancel my stay just to end up being 2k out of pocket. I'm foreseeing a pretty bad week here and should that ring true will seek at least 50% refund of my points. This is entirely the hotel owners fault letting this matter go on for months so they can just as well bear the cost of compensating guests.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Why do they mention the "a $15 breakfast buffet" ?
Because the same email went out to all upcoming guests and most guests have to pay for breakfast if they want it.

I'm foreseeing a pretty bad week here and should that ring true will seek at least 50% refund of my points.
Good luck with that.

This is entirely the hotel owners fault letting this matter go on for months
Get real. Do you actually believe that the hotel owners can unilaterally resolve a work dispute?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Housekeeping: Guest rooms will not be serviced daily. A variety of amenities, towels, and bottles of water will be available in the lobby. Please inquire with lobby staff to obtain additional items. If you are in need of towel or trash service, please contact the hotel operator prior to 12 noon and an associate will attend to your room prior to 5pm.
Best to load up toiletries and towels upon check-in.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Because the same email went out to all upcoming guests and most guests have to pay for breakfast if they want it.

Good luck with that.

Get real. Do you actually believe that the hotel owners can unilaterally resolve a work dispute?
Bad organization. So far I've gotten substantial compensation for each strike incident including complete refunds.

The owners caused it, the owners can resolve it. Give the employees proper contracts and move on. This group purchased the Hyatt 5 years ago thinking they could make big bucks. Fact is as we've seen many times (SF, Honolulu) that striking workers can starve a hotel of revenue and create massive problems. They are all unionized.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
Best to load up toiletries and towels upon check-in.
Toiletries I carry my own instead of using the crap at a random HR. As far as towels are concerned they better be ready in my room ahead of time. I'm not carrying my own towels through a full service hotel.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Toiletries I carry my own instead of using the crap at a random HR. As far as towels are concerned they better be ready in my room ahead of time. I'm not carrying my own towels through a full service hotel.
I got the same email about a 2 night stay next week. I replied to ask about valet parking, Globalist check in, and compensation.

I received a quick response from Omaha saying no valet, no Globalist check in, and 12000 points compensation. I wrote back to ask whether that's per night or per stay. If per night, will definitely stay and deal with the BS. If not, then will probably book away or simply reduce the stay to 1 night and stay an extra night at Whistler before coming to YVR.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:36 am

This has been resolved correct? Regency club now open and everything back to normal?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by evergrn
This has been resolved correct? Regency club now open and everything back to normal?
Stayed last night. Hotel seems to be normal operations with the exception of regency club had a scheduled closure from earlier this month until the week after Xmas for repairs.

Globalists offered a card for buffet breakfast in lieu of lounge, however we had to push for any benefits close to the overall lounge. We received them from the wonderful VIP manager, however it was embarrassing to have to negotiate and coordinate all this in front of my Guest of Honor who had a second room. We also had some minor snags upon usage, causing awkward confrontations with the bar/lounge manager and waitstaff.

Despite the club being closed for some time, the hyatt mobile app was still selling club rooms at the time of checkin. When we booked the day of arrival, Globalist hotline did not mention club closure despite us going out of our way to make guest of honor booking for this benefit. (not terribly surprising as no notice of closure on hyatt.com or mobile app)
Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
During the slower times of the year such as winter, what's the best way to secure the lowest rate at this hotel?

Last edited by lsquare; Feb 20, 2020 at 11:41 am
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
Stayed last night. Hotel seems to be normal operations with the exception of regency club had a scheduled closure from earlier this month until the week after Xmas for repairs.

Globalists offered a card for buffet breakfast in lieu of lounge, however we had to push for any benefits close to the overall lounge. We received them from the wonderful VIP manager, however it was embarrassing to have to negotiate and coordinate all this in front of my Guest of Honor who had a second room. We also had some minor snags upon usage, causing awkward confrontations with the bar/lounge manager and waitstaff.

Despite the club being closed for some time, the hyatt mobile app was still selling club rooms at the time of checkin. When we booked the day of arrival, Globalist hotline did not mention club closure despite us going out of our way to make guest of honor booking for this benefit. (not terribly surprising as no notice of closure on hyatt.com or mobile app)
Thank you for the update.
Glad to hear that the work stoppage / strike is a thing of the past.
However, it's concerning to hear about club closure. I'm mostly a Hilton guy, but I do choose to stay at certain Hyatt and Fairmont locations specifically for the club floor experience, including this one. I've seen lounges get closed for legitimate renovations and few Hilton EL's get closed indefinitely on their way to being closed permanently. But I have never heard of 'scheduled' lounge closure lasting few weeks. Wonder what's going on.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I was also just at this Hyatt, however booked in advance. I received a mail one week before arrival, stating the lounge was closed for carpet replacement and general maintenance.

Had a room on the club level and can confirm that the lounge was being actively worked on, and not in a state suitable for guests. Was satisfied with the breakfast at Mosaic, which was likely a lot better then what the lounge would have been.
evergrn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.