Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
We had a great stay. I was contacted by the VIP Manager by email before my arrival. I asked for a better suite but she said there were none available. We had no problem extending the TSU to the additional night I booked on points.

The junior suite was a connecting corner room which has the long entryway previously described. It also can connect to yet another room for a 3 room suite. The second room was almost way too much for us. The 2nd room had a sofa bed so is a great option for kids. We each had our own bathroom and I had a desk far away from the bedroom allowing my wife to sleep easily while I worked in the morning.

Lounge staff was awesome. My wife mentioned one day that she preferred if there was no cheese in the salad so they ordered her a special salad without cheese and it was sent up. They told us another morning a couple days later they had a salad on order for her the next evening as the greek salad was planned that evening! However, we didn't plan to be back that evening. Evening spread is enough for dinner.

My wife did notice one guest asking for bananas as none are usually provided. The lounge agent was reticent to get any sent up but after he pressed, they managed to get some sent up. It does seem odd they don't keep any there.

Touchscreen reserved elevators did not have the wait problem that we had on a previous stay but I don't think the hotel was that busy that week. I think there is a critical mass where it just goes haywire when people make repeated requests and then jump on the next elevator that shows up when it is not reserved for them, then elevators are stopping at floors when guests are already gone. I did see that a couple times this time.

I chose to park a couple blocks away for my paid 4 day stay and then moved my car to the under-hotel lot for the last day when it was complimentary. It actually worked out smoothly.

No amenities above and beyond the required Globalist amenities but overall excellent service.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Has anybody tried using the free parking for Globalist award reservations here? I have a three day stay coming up and was going to pick up a car from the airport if the parking was free, otherwise I'll just rent for one day from the Avis a couple of blocks away.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
** sorry, new FT didn't scroll to the last page right away
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Delta Plat, AA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Has anybody tried using the free parking for Globalist award reservations here? I have a three day stay coming up and was going to pick up a car from the airport if the parking was free, otherwise I'll just rent for one day from the Avis a couple of blocks away.
they charged me for parking. Owned by a separate company.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SW CC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I have some info to share for those looking to book an award stay over summer 2018... I reached out to Hyatt Concierge on Twitter because I could not find any standard rooms available and thought that the property might be gaming their award inventory. Hyatt Concierge acknowledged that they also couldn't see any rooms available for the summer and reached out to the property to investigate. The property's response was that the hotel has contracted many large group events that has required them to block out all of their standard rooms during the summer. I am sure this is not the first hotel to do this... but was shocked that they could have reason to block out an entire season.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
This is obviously disingenuous and worth escalating.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:46 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Agreed. Very poor behavior from the property. I too was trying to book a summer 2018 res and found every single date that I searched for as not available. Makes a mockery of the WoH program.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
1. I have found other hotels are often booked up many months in advance. Dallas HR and Minneapolis HR, specifically, I find is often without availability for many dates between 3-9 months out. Often, the availability opens 1-3 months out from those dates though, so it seems that they too will take everything off the books for specific time periods perhaps when they have enough people requesting blocks of rooms associated with events at the hotel. The whole summer is an additional level of scope perhaps, but I imagine that the Vancouver HR is a wedding type of hotel?, and if there is anything I know about northerners from my many years living up there, it is that people like to throw their fancy hotel-weddings in the summer. Combine that with the steady stream of people launching for Alaskan cruises and the normal CBD location, HR Vancouver can probably take availability off-line to make sure they have enough blocks of rooms for people using their conference/ball room facilities with confidence that they can book-up whatever is left last minute.

2.There is an overriding bottom line here that the Hotel industry is doing well as a whole. This month, last month, next month, in March (at the HR Vancouver, matter of fact), and in July, I have reservations at hotels that are currently without availability if I were to try to book today (HR vancouver does allow for a 'guaranteed' rate booking though, which is 50% more than my reservation). In some of these markets, there is only a solo Hyatt property so it makes WoH membership harder to maintain. But at the end of the day, none of us are all that special.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:35 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Just concluded 2 one-night stays at this property and there was no evidence of them playing games with upgrades or availability. First stay was last weekend, a high occupancy period as it was the final weekend of the Canadian spring break. For some reason (specific market promo perhaps?) the hotel was packed with very elegant Mexican families vacationing in Vancouver. The second stay was on a weekday night (Tuesday onto Wednesday). We got upgraded on both stays to a vast suite on the 33rd floor overlooking the entire city, the harbor, and the mountains beyond. This suite looks like the size of 4 rooms with 2 full baths that each contained separate shower and bath, and double vanity. 3 large screen TV and a 23-inch Apple computer. Welcome gifts of white wine and snacks were also delivered. Hands down, this was the biggest suite we have ever had - and we have stayed at quite few of them!

Awesome Globalist treatment by the lounge staff who on both stays offered us (4 of us) vouchers to partake breakfast at Mosaic Restaurant on the 2nd floor. The food offerings at the breakfast buffet were abundant and more that adequate to start our day with eggs station and full breakfast buffet. The happy hour offerings were just as generous and good. Special thanks goes to Ms. Felicia, Ms. Vanessa, and their manager Ms. Sara for being so hospitable in order to make our visit a successful one.

Tremendous value especially for the Globalist on P+C rate. We have stayed here before but this is our first stay since the program change.

Last edited by Kalboz; Apr 7, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
We did take other photos of this property. The full album is here:

Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Very Nice. We stayed here 1-2 weeks before you.
1. We got the standard boring 2 room suite we reserved and paid for (not with a TSU, but with cash). It was booked because we really wanted the space and wasn't going to risk it (however, we reserved it at a competitive price months ago). Like I've mentioned before, I think whenever you stay for a stretch beyond about 2 days, there is really no good chances of getting an upgrade even with globalist status. The place was booked out our first three nights. We did get a suite on a high floor facing the mountains on one side and stanley park the other side though. The only complaint is that the 'bedroom' part of our suite wasn't available until about 6 PM, and we really could have used the space earlier that day (wife wanted to nap, daughter wanted to watch tv, like I said, we got a suite because we want space). I thought this was a bit of a breach of great customer service considering this was 2 hours after check in time.
2. They did automatically give late check-out, but we couldn't use it because of an early flight. Still, nice when that is just done.
3. No welcome amenity for us or anything, or vouchers for breakfast at mosaic (not sure how you got those?!). Maybe I am not important enough or maybe these things just goes with the luxury suite. The club lounge was decent though. Most hot breakfast dishes were good (We were there to have it rotate through once over, though, I am not a huge fan of the chicken hash) and the rest of the layout was done well. We didn't quite get tired of it even after 7 days. The evening hors doerves were nice enough we ended up eating so much that we never went out for dinner (though, of course, we hit some great places out and about for lunch). I've seen better lounges, but I wasn't disappointed in any way.
4. The honor bar was fine, though of course, complimentary would have been better. I thought the 5 loonies for the wine was a good enough value though given my generous pouring. Similar to any price we would get buying our own wine at a liquor store.
5. The customer service was good. Everyone ready and eager to help. The club staff was very attentive to details and ready to help with anything, but perhaps a little too chatty a couple times (meaning well, but I usually don't want to chat quite that much). The only two customer services complaints was the abnormally late availability of part of the suite the first day, and the fact the valet and other staff at the door next to the taxis never opened a door for anyone, even if you were struggling to get through with luggage.

In summary, We had a good stay, but on the whole, still more or less feel like we just got what we paid for and got the standard 'benefits' that are explicitly stated in the ToCs -- but there wasn't anything 'extra' special about the hotel.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Very Nice. We stayed here 1-2 weeks before you.
1. We got the standard boring 2 room suite we reserved and paid for (not with a TSU, but with cash). It was booked because we really wanted the space and wasn't going to risk it (however, we reserved it at a competitive price months ago). Like I've mentioned before, I think whenever you stay for a stretch beyond about 2 days, there is really no good chances of getting an upgrade even with globalist status. The place was booked out our first three nights. We did get a suite on a high floor facing the mountains on one side and stanley park the other side though. The only complaint is that the 'bedroom' part of our suite wasn't available until about 6 PM, and we really could have used the space earlier that day (wife wanted to nap, daughter wanted to watch tv, like I said, we got a suite because we want space). I thought this was a bit of a breach of great customer service considering this was 2 hours after check in time.
2. They did automatically give late check-out, but we couldn't use it because of an early flight. Still, nice when that is just done.
3. No welcome amenity for us or anything, or vouchers for breakfast at mosaic (not sure how you got those?!). Maybe I am not important enough or maybe these things just goes with the luxury suite. The club lounge was decent though. Most hot breakfast dishes were good (We were there to have it rotate through once over, though, I am not a huge fan of the chicken hash) and the rest of the layout was done well. We didn't quite get tired of it even after 7 days. The evening hors doerves were nice enough we ended up eating so much that we never went out for dinner (though, of course, we hit some great places out and about for lunch). I've seen better lounges, but I wasn't disappointed in any way.
4. The honor bar was fine, though of course, complimentary would have been better. I thought the 5 loonies for the wine was a good enough value though given my generous pouring. Similar to any price we would get buying our own wine at a liquor store.
5. The customer service was good. Everyone ready and eager to help. The club staff was very attentive to details and ready to help with anything, but perhaps a little too chatty a couple times (meaning well, but I usually don't want to chat quite that much). The only two customer services complaints was the abnormally late availability of part of the suite the first day, and the fact the valet and other staff at the door next to the taxis never opened a door for anyone, even if you were struggling to get through with luggage.

In summary, We had a good stay, but on the whole, still more or less feel like we just got what we paid for and got the standard 'benefits' that are explicitly stated in the ToCs -- but there wasn't anything 'extra' special about the hotel.
All we had to do is to gracefully ask ... and as you stated maybe our one night stays did help with the availability. We emailed the property directly when booked and the kind response was sure why not it's available. We requested the breakfast vouchers, and they were promptly provided without questions or nickle & dime-ing us. But the staff throughout genuinely cared about our comfort and went above and beyond to accommodate us with the exception of the parking staff who I believe are not Hyatt employees. We had two negative encounters with one particular person of the parking staff who seemed unhappy to be there (why not just quit!). Otherwise, everyone else was really very hospitable and accommodating.

Forgot to mention that for the first night stay we redeemed a Globalist free night and the 2nd night stay we used the P+C method. Also, one of the managers provided us with a website for better parking rates in Vancouver to avoid the ~ CAN $51.00 daily parking charge: https://en.parkopedia.ca/parking/dow...g=201804072300

Last edited by Kalboz; Apr 7, 2018 at 9:48 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Iirc parking on weekends was much cheaper using the same garage in the building (without in and out privileges) - is it still the case?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
Iirc parking on weekends was much cheaper using the same garage in the building (without in and out privileges) - is it still the case?
You are right, still the case. From the same manager that gave me the above link:

One of the guests who used it recently, informed me that he was able to find an Easypark Parkling Lot nearby the Pacific Center that has 24/7 access and is $24CAD Monday-Friday, and $11CAD on weekends.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Staying here for one week and got both a nice Jr Suite Upgrade as well as complimentary parking for the entire week. Points Stay.

Still a bargain at 12k a night considering how much rates are at this property nowadays. I can still remember ~$100 Hyatt and $55 Priceline/Hotwire Rates in 2009-2012.
Kalboz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.