Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
I think more like many hotels just don't really offer it. So the app may say waiting, but the hotel requires you to physically check in with ID before issuing a key. After that its still hit or miss if they enable the digital key.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will give the hotel a call directly to ask them. I need to confirm with them that my registered guests (in-laws) can check in for me anyway, so it is worth the call.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
It's 2023 and I'm still getting 2 mbps as a Globalist. I should have the option to connect for free premium, but instead it automatically logs me in and no one can tell me the landing page address
Old Apr 13, 2023, 10:52 pm

Ask for a refund. This hotel has had internet issues so charging extra for premium with these speeds is ridiculous.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thinking of stay here a couple nights this summer. Lots of rooms available, but none for award stays on my night. When I see "high floor," I immediately know the hotel is playing games (an increasingly common practice in WoH, sadly).There are also "city view" rooms available (along with other more expensive categories like balcony rooms). I'm noticed that some properties that play this game magically make award rooms available a month or two before the arrival date. Any experience with this property, and any insight into their game? As a Globalist, one strong incentive for me to stay here is that I will have a car, and my experience in Vancouver is that parking is expensive.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thinking of stay here a couple nights this summer. Lots of rooms available, but none for award stays on my night. When I see "high floor," I immediately know the hotel is playing games (an increasingly common practice in WoH, sadly).There are also "city view" rooms available (along with other more expensive categories like balcony rooms). I'm noticed that some properties that play this game magically make award rooms available a month or two before the arrival date. Any experience with this property, and any insight into their game? As a Globalist, one strong incentive for me to stay here is that I will have a car, and my experience in Vancouver is that parking is expensive.

Perfect time to use openhotelalert.com. That site is so useful in these instances.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: Hyatt glob, KLM/AirFrance plat
I've been looking for availability for some popular dates, like June 16-19. The cash rates for those days are $400 and up. It usually does not show any award availability for those days. But after checking methodically for several days, I was able to snag some. But it was about a month ago, so maybe the ship has already sailed and there won't be any more.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hey_dc
Perfect time to use openhotelalert.com. That site is so useful in these instances.
Yeah, once this game started popping up everywhere, I found this site. I think there a few of them doing similar scrapping. As you can see, the hotel has just blacked out advance award reservations for the summer weekends. This obviously violates Hyatt's rules -- and was what the introduction of the peak/off-peak program was supposed to solve -- but unless the chain cracks down, I'm sure we'll see more of it.
https://maxmypoint.com/hotel/7316
Old Apr 15, 2023, 1:54 pm

As you can see, the hotel has just blacked out advance award reservations for the summer weekends.
why don't you think they're just genuinely sold out for the base room type?

IMO the problem is that they are assigning "premium" room type to the majority of their space. But once they do this, there's no wonder the basic room type sells out quickly, and that's the only one available for award booking.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pronichkin
why don't you think they're just genuinely sold out for the base room type?

IMO the problem is that they are assigning "premium" room type to the majority of their space. But once they do this, there's no wonder the basic room type sells out quickly, and that's the only one available for award booking.
Nah, you're overthinking it. There aren't a fixed number of rooms in each bucket. They simply don't assign the standard room type when they don't want to. It can become, for example, a high floor, or whatever. This is how the game is played. You can see, for example, they don't want ANY summer weekend award stays -- at least not yet. So many Hyatts are doing the same thing. The owners are smart, of course -- once other hotels get away with it, they do the same, since it's apparently the profit-maximizing inventory strategy (based on the way Hyatt pays for award stays). The only consolation for program members is that, it would seem, the strategy tends to shift a month or two before arrival date when many of these hotels do add rooms to the award bucket. Not sure exactly why the math changes.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fiddling with this, I discovered that if I added a non-weekend night to my stay (like a Thursday), rooms were magically available for a summer weekend at this hotel (an old Hyatt award trick). I then asked Hyatt reservations to delete the extra night and, voila! You obviously need the extra points in your account (in this case, 18000) to temporarily float this.
Old May 4, 2023, 5:11 pm
Community Director Emerita

A Feb 23 report above said the lounge is still closed. Would those staying this summer report as to whether it gets reopened? And if so, what are its offerings?
Old May 4, 2023, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
A Feb 23 report above said the lounge is still closed. Would those staying this summer report as to whether it gets reopened? And if so, what are its offerings?
still closed as of the last weekend. Buffet breakfast is still pretty good.
Old May 4, 2023, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It was still closed when I was there last month. No timeframe as to when it'll be reopened.
Old May 4, 2023, 11:50 pm

Don't expect it to reopen any time soon. It's always amusing at check in hearing the different excuses it's closed in the last few times I've visited.
Old May 5, 2023, 9:27 am

The club lounge at this hotel will never re-open and is closed permanently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.