Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
RC is now open every day.

Originally Posted by baliktad
The schedule for weekend closures is not announced or published but was meant to be a springtime closure. Call the hotel to confirm availability for your intended stay dates.

Weekend closures are for all day Saturday and all day Sunday. You will receive the bonus points if the lounge is closed for 1 day of your stay.

If the lounge is closed during a morning you are there, a complimentary full breakfast will be available in the Mosaic Grill.

The fitness center is located floor 4 and is not in the Regency Club.
Old May 4, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
OK - just booked this hotel instead of the Carmana Plaza (name sounds icky!).

I'm looking forward to my stay. Confirmed an upgrade into Deluxe Suite (5 nights so worth it for me!).

I inquired about an Executive Suite but supposedly they're already sold out! (?!! )

Here's what I had in my confirmation:

TYPE OF RATE: SUITE CONNECTOR*
Anyways, shot off an email so I hope that maybe I get a better room.

Old May 5, 2012, 1:41 pm

Just FYI -- the club seems to be open this weekend.
Old May 5, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by jlisi984
OK - just booked this hotel instead of the Carmana Plaza (name sounds icky!).
OT for the thread but the Carmana Plaza isn't that bad. It has more of a residential feel than a full service hotel and room layouts mirror the condos on the other floors. I've recommended it to others for extended stays in downtown when they haven't been guided by loyalty programs.

On topic, the HR is a worthy choice of a DT hotel (and the only choice if looking for GP credit/points).
Old May 7, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Anybody have a direct email to the Hyatt YVR? I can't get through using the normal email!!!
Old May 8, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Anybody have a direct email to the Hyatt YVR? I can't get through using the normal email!!!
Why not just call? It's faster and easier.
Old May 11, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
Suite

Hi,
we have a 5 day stay for vacation coming up.
Is it worth using a suite upgrade?
In the first 2 days it looks like there is big conference going on.
Hotel Sold out. Could at least go for the final 3 nigths with a suite.
Is it worth ?
Old May 12, 2012, 6:25 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The RC lounge now has a hot offering for evening hors d'oeuvres -- last night it was two kinds of dim sum: shrimp har gau and pork siu mai. A nice addition. The Lounge has more wine selections for purchase as well.

In the mornings, hot oatmeal is also now an option.

I still think they can do more but this is a step in the right direction.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
slow Hyatt "premium" internet

Long time lurker, 1st time poster.

Staying at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver, no status, so I paid the $15 for "Premium" internet thinking it would be much faster than the $10 for "standard" internet (description below). Turns out it is painfully slow for web browsing, with pages timing out repeatedly... can barely hold an intelligible conversation on Skype to the US. Ran speedtest.net on it, and find upload/download around 2.8 Mbps/2.8Mbps with a pint of 125 ms. The numbers are a bit low for what I would expect for a "premium" level service.

Anyone else been disappointed by slow internet speeds at Hyatt (or elsewhere?) Is there anything I can do, other than stay somewhere else?

###
Premium Class Service:

Premium Class allows you to maximize your productivity online while connecting with business associates, family and friends. This service provides a reliable fast connection ideal for video conferencing, quick document transfers, internet phone, and other services.

Standard Class Service:

Standard Class allows you to be productive online while connecting with business associates, family and friends. This service provides a reliable connection ideal for email, document transfers, social networking, and other services.
##
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:55 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I think this is on ongoing problem for many properties, across all chains, who are not investing enough to ensure sufficient bandwidth. I would suggest bringing this to the hotel's attention at check-out and ask for either the fee to be waived, or at the least, to be billed for just the cost of the standard internet service.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by dw
I think this is on ongoing problem for many properties, across all chains, who are not investing enough to ensure sufficient bandwidth. I would suggest bringing this to the hotel's attention at check-out and ask for either the fee to be waived, or at the least, to be billed for just the cost of the standard internet service.
Too many people watching movies and in general being bad citizens on shared bandwidth. I "buy" (as a diamond) premium internet at most properties and its still slow as dirt. Similar to GoGo as well.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:13 pm

Parking is now $38 with taxes at the Hyatt Regency. Is there any other alternatives out there? We will be driving from Seattle so we have to have our car.

I saw some posts about Georgia Street and Easy Park lots but I don't know if that is still valid.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:34 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
There are several EasyPark locations nearby, see this page for more details:

EasyPark Locations and Rates
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Too many people watching movies and in general being bad citizens on shared bandwidth.
I disagree that watching streaming video makes someone a 'bad citizen' at a hotel--especially when guests are often paying $10-25 a night for the pleasure to connect (roughly 20-50% of the cost of a monthly cable internet connection, which would yield you 10-20 meg/sec, depending on where you live). Even if the internet is free (such as Hyatt Place) there is an expectation that the speed will be sufficient.

Hotels (of all chains) have the ability to scale their internet deployment, many are simply too cheap (or incompetent) to recognize that a single 100 meg/sec connection for a 350+ room hotel is painfully under-served (and borders on theft, if the hotel is charging guests for a connection). A Holiday Inn Express hotel I frequent (no Hyatt or Starwood nearby) recently upped their internet to three separate 50 meg/sec connections, for a hotel with 120 rooms. If that hotel can do it in a rural location--and still offer free internet to all guests--then so can everyone else.

In fairness to Hyatt, here is how I rank the hotel chains I frequent, in terms of internet speed (#1 being best for fastest & most consistent):

1. Priority Club (Crowne Plaza/Holiday Inn Express)
2. Hyatt
3. Marriott
4. Hilton
5. Starwood

I have moved about 75% of my business from Starwood, due to their awful internet speeds, to Marriott & Priority Club hotels. In my experience, Hyatt hotels (in the U.S.) are pretty good, overall. I know two of their hotels where the connection is consistently above 25 meg/sec (a rarity for any hotel!).

Last edited by moulder3; Jul 16, 2012 at 8:59 am
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:29 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by baliktad
There are several EasyPark locations nearby, see this page for more details:

EasyPark Locations and Rates
Thanks for the link. It appears that the closest is Lot 01 @ 535 Hornby Street (about a block away). For weekend stays it appears to be a great deal at $5 flat rate for 24hrs from 6a-6a. Even paying to exit each time is a lot cheaper than nearly $40/day at the Hyatt for self parking! ^

Last edited by JonathanIT; Aug 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm Reason: Clarification :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.