Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

WoH 2023 Category Changes to Take Effect on Mar 28

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WoH 2023 Category Changes to Take Effect on Mar 28

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2023, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by wilywombat
No, it'll reprice at the current rate once the points are withdrawn if you wait post-deval. Rate is only locked once the points are actually gone from your account.
Anecdotally I had a few insufficient points reservations last year and they did indeed update to reflect new (increased pricing) when points were withdrawn. However I reached out to Hyatt and they refunded me the balance. I took screenshots of my previous resys.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
A few takes:
  • Who goes to Key West to stay at a Cat 8 (let alone Cat 7) motel?
+1 to this. As some other people have said...this hotel should be Category 5, tops. I stayed there for a night when it was a Cat 6 hotel and I needed a place to sleep when I visited Dry Tortugas. Not worth staying there again with its nonexistent amenities. Most of Key West in general is just way, way, overpriced IMO. But the demand is there I guess.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
These devaluations are bad enough now that more people should be asking if Hyatt will sooner be:

(a) getting the equivalent of Category 9 and/or 10 on award charts; or

(b) going down the Hilton and Marriott route with variable point pricing.

I have always taken it that when a loyalty program moves to 3 tier pricing for any particular redemption target (route and/or place), then we are much closer to getting the kind of sky high pricing in points that make the loyalty program generally less useful for redeeming toward award travel than for elite status benefits. Post-IPO and post-Hyatt credit cards, Hyatt seems to be walking on a road already well traveled in this regard in the loyalty program world.

I have just run down a huge balance of Hyatt points. I was considering transferring Chase UR points into Hyatt points, but it seems like a lot of properties of interest to me that are having their price points hiked up big time were already out of inventory using points even before this category change thing was released to us. Did Hyatt give the properties a heads-up on their being re-categorized and basically a green-light to play inventory games to sort of frustrate the efforts of Hyatt customers to get in front of this devaluation?
lsquare and iluvdoco like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
These devaluations are bad enough now that more people should be asking if Hyatt will sooner be:

(a) getting the equivalent of Category 9 and/or 10 on award charts; or

(b) going down the Hilton and Marriott route with variable point pricing.

I have always taken it that when a loyalty program moves to 3 tier pricing for any particular redemption target (route and/or place), then we are much closer to getting the kind of sky high pricing in points that make the loyalty program generally less useful for redeeming toward award travel than for elite status benefits. Post-IPO and post-Hyatt credit cards, Hyatt seems to be walking on a road already well traveled in this regard in the loyalty program world.

I have just run down a huge balance of Hyatt points. I was considering transferring Chase UR points into Hyatt points, but it seems like a lot of properties of interest to me that are having their price points hiked up big time were already out of inventory using points even before this category change thing was released to us. Did Hyatt give the properties a heads-up on their being re-categorized and basically a green-light to play inventory games to sort of frustrate the efforts of Hyatt customers to get in front of this devaluation?
Weren't some properties already doing that? Hyatt Regency Paris Etoile?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Thompson DC and the Grady in Louisville dropping to Cat 4 mean that I might actually try one of those, just to burn a Cat 4 cert.

The # of Cat 8s is truly nuts. (Sad to see Villa Spalletti Trivelli and Villa Castagnola both among that number.)

Still not as bad as some of the price hikes on the Bonvoy side. But not good, not good at all...
those 2 and hyatt house nashville were the 3 that came to mind, sadly the eliza jane is going to a cat 5 as we had a wonderful stay this past fall.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:01 am

Combined with the recent MHC reductions (MHC taking weeks to respond or not responding at all; limited hours for main Globalist number) I feel like the future is not encouraging for WoH.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Mar 2, 2023 at 9:53 am
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aside from possibly all-inclusives (I just can't keep track of recent add-ons and valuations yhere) the rest looks mostly ok.. some annoyances and deval indeed but consistent with bizzare rates and still plenty of decent options... ymmv but overall this looks much more reasoble than marriott hilton and ihg.
beltway and TravelinSperry like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Combined with the recent MHC reductions (MHC taking weeks to respond or not responding at all; limited hours for main Globalist number) I feel like the future is not encouraging for WoH.
The future for all programs is regression to the means. If one program is significantly more lucrative than others, over time, it will get devalued.
Beachchaser likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: UA, Hyatt Globolist, Marriott Pla, Hilton Diamond
Still the better hotel program, but going downhills.. All aspiration property has went up and made less value on the points. Hope there are another a few years before dynamic pricing..
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:37 am

I'm cool with the changes. I don't expect point redemption to remain constant with almost everything else is going up. Still the best program out there.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:47 am

I was thinking about how the devaluation would change my decision making, and had the following that stood out:

Park Hyatt Aviara, Seabird, Mason Pacific going up --> I am more likely to stay at HR Huntington Beach. Had a very nice stay at the PH recently, but was already debating whether I would go back there before Huntington Beach, because Huntington has beach access, more child friendly pools, and bigger standard suite (Huntington Suite). Now the choice is more obvious. Never really considered Alila Marea after reading reviews.

HR Maui --> HRC Maui. Same points now. True, you don't get Globalist benefits, and there's the 10am checkout time, but HRC rooms were already soooo much bigger, pool area less crowded, etc. Finding availability is more difficult though. In Wailea, some of the Destination places are still very attractive.

Squaw Creek -- staying with HR Tahoe. If HR Tahoe undergoes renovation or rebranding, entirely expecting it to go up to Cat 7 too.

Grand Hyatt Kauai -- if going back, probably would still pay points, but only if I have SUA and find availability.

Park Hyatt Vienna --> Andaz Vienaa. Particular to my own traveling situation with family, Andaz was probably going to be the better choice with two kids anyways. Andaz outside of city center being a main detraction, but going forward price difference is simply too large.

The Cape -- love this place, and would pay the higher points amount. However, recently got a Hyatt timeshare offer for Sirena del Mar, which looks basically next door to the Cape. Haven't done a timeshare offer in ages, but would probably consider it if going back to Cabo in conjunction with a stay at the Cape to save some points.

Andaz WeHo and The Shay --> probably just avoiding Hyatt when in LA, or just booking a Hyatt Place. Probably book the HP Pasadena before the price goes up (though Cat 3 to 4 is smallest increase in points).

Hotel Éclat Taipei down to Cat 2 -- might consider this over Grand Hyatt Taipei, depending on whether GH is at normal or peak points.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Which Mexico and DR All Inclusive property is a steal at current redemption rate before it goes insane? Would like to book one before it gets out of hand.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Which Mexico and DR All Inclusive property is a steal at current redemption rate before it goes insane? Would like to book one before it gets out of hand.
Secrets Impression Moxché -- if thinking their listed regular $ prices are not overly inflated -- but good luck finding availability using points there at this point. When they are asking $1100/night, I am not sure why I wouldn't just go elsewhere for $2000/night and get something much more customized to my liking.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 2, 2023 at 11:11 am
Old Mar 2, 2023, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Weird - A property near DFW I already have a 5K points May booking at Category 1 level is showing as moving from Category 2 to Category 1.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:36 pm

As someone who stays exclusively at Hyatt Place and Hyatt House, this is just fine for me, my usual hotel in KC is still Category 1.

I am glad though that I am getting in my Category 1-4 cert nights at Hyatt House Naples later this month and also staying at Hyatt House Tampa Westshore as well before that goes up a category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.