Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

WoH 2023 Category Changes to Take Effect on Mar 28

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WoH 2023 Category Changes to Take Effect on Mar 28

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Thoughts from my personal traveling standpoint:

All three Jacksonville properties going up. I would never stay in them but it seems to indicate how this category change is going across the board. Also eliminates a potential cheap mattress run in my back pocket.

HR Atlanta moving up to 3 changes the calculus on one of my all-time favorite points value hotels. Often can get solid strings of off peak days/weeks at this hotel, which at 6500 points was a steal. Not so sure anymore.

HR Savannah same category as Andaz now (cat 4), so Andaz it is! No more balancing the pros and cons lol.

HR Grand Reserve Puerto Rico moving to 5, which eliminates one of my favorite Cat 4 cert redemptions

A lot of cheap Dallas properties finally moving from 2 to 1 (and rightfully so)

HP Moab moving up to a cat 5...wow one year ago it was such a steal at cat 2!

GH and HR Bali back to cat 2. Last year their drops to cat 1 were sort of a saving grace to the devals.

HR Suzhou looks very enticing as a cat 1 now.

Hotel Eclat Taipei down to a 2. Ok, I could see a potential staycation mattress run here now.

GH Jeju and GH Seoul. Cat 4 to 5. NOOOOOOO!!!

GH Bangkok cat 2 to 3. Recently spent a week here and loved it. Less likely to return now.

PH Bangkok cat 5 to 6. PH Saigon cat 4 to 5. Oyy, the inflation makes me really struggle with these vs non-branded boutiques at a fraction of the cost.

HR Guadalajara cat 2 to 3. Awww man, I haven't made it here yet. So many reports of it being an excellent redemption I was stoked to try to fit it into a future trip to Mexico. Oh well, might book cash instead.

HC Lima cat 3 to 2. Nice, makes it a palatable redemption now.

GH Baha Mar. Cat 5 to 6. Mehhh, I've never been terribly keen on the Bahamas anyway, but I still enjoy reading the thread updates and always have it as a slight possibility in the back of my mind whenever considering a caribbean destination. Even less likely now.
HR Guadalajara IS awesome and was a total, total steal at category 2. Still decent at Cat 3, but this one hurt me as well. Awesome lounge, amazing heated pool, and a great location albeit far from the historical center,.
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:57 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
The Grand Reserve going to Cat 5 is laughable, the place is the epitome of mediocre.

In some respects, I'm disappointed for it moving up in that people who would have burned certs there now have to look elsewhere.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
The Grand Reserve going to Cat 5 is laughable, the place is the epitome of mediocre.

In some respects, I'm disappointed for it moving up in that people who would have burned certs there now have to look elsewhere.
last major award chart change the hyatt centric waikiki went down to a category 4 and hyatt ziva cancun stayed flat. This chart the eliza jane goes to a cat 5, hyatt ziva cancun going essentaly to a cat 8? With the ai chart and the grand reserve going to a cat 5 has to be the worst across the board.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Weird - A property near DFW I already have a 5K points May booking at Category 1 level is showing as moving from Category 2 to Category 1.
Do you perhaps have HH mixed up with HP? I did the same...but my booking was HP and the adjacent HH was a higher category.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Over the years, we've come to expect properties to move to more expensive categories, and sometimes the occasional surprise when some move down a category. What is most disappointing for Hyatt card holders, Explorists, or Globalists who earn free night certificates, is that the certificates have much less value than they did 10 years ago, with the cumulative category changes. Category 4 Free Night certs should be updated to Category 5. Category 7 Free Night Certs for Globalists should be updated to Category 8. If not now, at least in the next couple of years.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by conde
Category 7 Free Night Certs for Globalists should be updated to Category 8. If not now, at least in the next couple of years.
I'm with you on this and find the Cat 8 nerf the most painful of the WOH era. While I'm less concerned about the Cat 4s (obviously, since it affects me less per the FT philosophy), the nerfing of the Cat 7 has nixed many a layover stays in great cities where I've arrived early and departed late the following day.

So, with all the Hyatt cares about this or that marketing fluff, how about caring about this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Over the years, we've come to expect properties to move to more expensive categories, and sometimes the occasional surprise when some move down a category. What is most disappointing for Hyatt card holders, Explorists, or Globalists who earn free night certificates, is that the certificates have much less value than they did 10 years ago, with the cumulative category changes. Category 4 Free Night certs should be updated to Category 5. Category 7 Free Night Certs for Globalists should be updated to Category 8. If not now, at least in the next couple of years.
Should have been done last year with the introduction of Cat 8s.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Should have been done last year with the introduction of Cat 8s.
Moreover, if they insist on forcing the name "Globalist" upon each of us, at least allow us to use the free "Globalist" nights in the leading "Globalist" cities in the world. You know, the "put money where mouth is" part of the equation.
168, lsquare and Aventine like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Are there truly more CAT 5s and less CAT 4s than there were 10 years ago? If so I'd agree they should update. But if the %s are the same and just hotels moved around within the buckets, then they shouldn't (or at least have no need to) update.

However the CAT 1-7 should be updated to CAT 8. That award used to cover all hotels and now it doesn't. And the "doesn't" is an ever growing number.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Just finished a 2 day stay at Thompson Madrid last weekend, with 2 CAT4 certificates. Honestly, I was a little surprised that it was CAT4 to begin with when the HR down the street is a CAT5. Lovely hotel, which was a steal at CAT4. Unfortunate how everything just goes mostly in one direction. My only issue is that the certificates are so hard to use now. Most places I would stay at/want to stay are now at CAT5, which makes these useless. As much as I loathe Marriott, I do like the option that you can use a CATX certificate on a higher point redemption and top up with points to cover the difference.

If only Hyatt would introduce that feature, it would take the pinch off a lot more.
nsx and projectmaximus like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:15 am

I justified the annual fee of the Hyatt credit card with the CAT4 cert (as well as the slight status qualification boost) although I never use that card. It's getting harder for me to justify the card with these changes. I'm thinking of moving the card's credit limit to another card and closing the Hyatt card. And making more premium hotel bookings through AmEx FHR.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:21 am

How is ph Zurich going up if it needs a refresh?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by JetAway
I justified the annual fee of the Hyatt credit card with the CAT4 cert (as well as the slight status qualification boost) although I never use that card. It's getting harder for me to justify the card with these changes. I'm thinking of moving the card's credit limit to another card and closing the Hyatt card. And making more premium hotel bookings through AmEx FHR.
The Hyatt credit card (imo) is one of the best values out there. The annual fee is easily recouped via the CAT 1-4 cert. Spend counts towards status, so this tips me over the final 10 nights or so that are hard to get towards Globalist (due to their weak footprint). Plus, I've been redeeming at 2.8 cents per over the past year making the everyday spend one of the highest available. Of course, ymmv depending on what you're able to find redemptions for. But for me, this is one of my go to cards.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver, Delta Platinum, AA Platinum Pro
Off to book some Thompson Madrid dates since 15K for that product is too good to pass up.

Lots of disappointments in this list. Personally I was sad to see Hyatt Madeleine bumped up to 30K/night. I liked that property as a category 5, but a 6 will give me pause. At least the two options at CDG are dropping to Category 1.

Glad to see the Denver market, a city I visit frequently, not go up. Having so many decent options there at 12K/night has always felt like a bit of a steal to me.

Overall, I still find more to like here than I do most days with Marriott Bonvoy or Hilton. I have a three-night midweek stay in NYC coming up and had multiple Hyatt options at reduced points of 17K/night where most Marriotts were 40-50K/night or more. The only value proposition I consistently find among Bonvoy options in major cities is the AC brand which in my experience is about a third or more less than other Bonvoy offerings. I know AC is not everyone's cup of tea, but it works well for me.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Are there truly more CAT 5s and less CAT 4s than there were 10 years ago? If so I'd agree they should update. But if the %s are the same and just hotels moved around within the buckets, then they shouldn't (or at least have no need to) update.

However the CAT 1-7 should be updated to CAT 8. That award used to cover all hotels and now it doesn't. And the "doesn't" is an ever growing number.
I don't have the homework done, but I think so yes. The matter of the fact is that 5 years ago (don't need to go back 10 years), the Cat1-4 certificates got you options for mid-range full service hotels. Now those options are way less. Personally, there are about five hotels that I have in the past used my Cat1-4 certificates that I no longer can, and I think everyone else has a similar experience. And there are pretty few Cat1-4s coming online worth mentioning -- For a few hot months the Thompson Madrid was a choice (now gone). I guess for me, the only new option that I often use is HC Memphis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.