Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

WoH 2023 Category Changes to Take Effect on Mar 28

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WoH 2023 Category Changes to Take Effect on Mar 28

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2023, 7:52 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I never had trouble redeeming free nights at the Andaz SD and they always treated me very well when I did (good upgrades, nice welcome gift, etc). I have never understood the hate for that hotel on this forum. The Manchester is very nice but at the end of the day it's a boring business hotel beside the convention center (which, I guess, is good if you are attending a convention). The Andaz is in a better location, has nicer rooms, better breakfast, and has treated me better. I would pay a small premium to stay there over the Manchester. (Though there's nothing wrong with the Manchester so I would not pay a large premium -- I'm not bashing it at all. I do like the microbrewery there, but the vibe is horrible because it's all business people there for business meetings... which is not unexpected for a business hotel)
The dislike for Andaz San Diego for some in my perception stems from poor soundproofing primarily
which effects light sleepers especially weekends.
It is also the same main reason sadly for years I have avoided Andaz West Hollywood otherwise a desirable property.
Because Andaz San Diego was a rebrand with some improvements it was never a perfect modern standard
It was previously The Ivy and the buildings bones dates back to 1914 when it was called the Maryland Hotel !!! I missed the Marylands grand opening
Andaz San Diego for some years had inconsistency in breakfast and their venues opening and closing leaving breakfast rotating locations
& revolving chefs inside the hotel.Glad to hear breakfast is on point. I'll have to check it out sometime

As for the Manchester Grand the appeal to me comes down to one of the most generous thoughtful Hyatt GMs in North America
kind team members,a VIP coordinator for Globalists, excellent fitness center solid soundproofing for the most part and in this era I believe
a bit more secure and safe then being in the heart of the Downtown.Though that is subjective like everything else I suppose.
The icing on the cake occasional complimentary upgrades to VIP penthouse suites or even something almost as nice.
If Andaz Maui saw them upgrading Globalists this generously they would have a heart attack from the Manchester generosity .
Added to that one of the better club lounges in the US and a respectable breakfast buffet as well as ala-carte menu.

It may be boring to some but I'll take that standard happily anywhere in the world.
Did I say the views are outstanding 40 floors up in the sky and even lower?
Think there is a market for both obviously and of course the Andaz has its own personal boutique style albeit quirky perhaps to some.
Nice to have a mix as well as HR Mission Bay & HR La Jolla
Hyatt has been serving my hotel needs for decades in SD and they have done a good job in most of the properties despite a few bumps in the road

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Mar 27, 2023 at 7:59 pm
Old Mar 27, 2023, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
The dislike for Andaz San Diego for some in my perception stems from poor soundproofing primarily
which effects light sleepers especially weekends.
It is also the same main reason sadly for years I have avoided Andaz West Hollywood otherwise a desirable property.
Because Andaz San Diego was a rebrand with some improvements it was never a perfect modern standard
It was previously The Ivy and the buildings bones dates back to 1914 when it was called the Maryland Hotel !!! I missed the Marylands grand opening
Andaz San Diego for some years had inconsistency in breakfast and their venues opening and closing leaving breakfast rotating locations
& revolving chefs inside the hotel.Glad to hear breakfast is on point. I'll have to check it out sometime

As for the Manchester Grand the appeal to me comes down to one of the most generous thoughtful Hyatt GMs in North America
kind team members,a VIP coordinator for Globalists, excellent fitness center solid soundproofing for the most part and in this era I believe
a bit more secure and safe then being in the heart of the Downtown.Though that is subjective like everything else I suppose.
The icing on the cake occasional complimentary upgrades to VIP penthouse suites or even something almost as nice.
If Andaz Maui saw them upgrading Globalists this generously they would have a heart attack from the Manchester generosity .
Added to that one of the better club lounges in the US and a respectable breakfast buffet as well as ala-carte menu.

It may be boring to some but I'll take that standard happily anywhere in the world.
Did I say the views are outstanding 40 floors up in the sky and even lower?
Think there is a market for both obviously and of course the Andaz has its own personal boutique style albeit quirky perhaps to some.
Nice to have a mix as well as HR Mission Bay & HR La Jolla
Hyatt has been serving my hotel needs for decades in SD and they have done a good job in most of the properties despite a few bumps in the road
I've heard the noise complaints re:Andaz; it's never been a problem for me but if I'm in that area I'm probably out at the bars until they close anyway. I guess it would be annoying if you are trying to sleep at 11pm or midnight -- you are in the middle of everything. Also I'm a deep sleeper and noise doesn't really bother me.

As for treatment, I've always been upgraded and had a nice welcome gift including some snacks and some free drink tickets for the rooftop bar. I haven't been there in a while so I don't know what the breakfast situation is now, but when I was there it was always a very good breakfast in the restaurant. I hope this hasn't changed! I have no complaints about the Manchester treatment either but I dunno... you get a coupon book at the front desk. I appreciated the free beer at the microbrewery and I don't think I used anything else. The whole thing just seems a lot more big and corporate and streamlined. The Andaz felt like a smaller boutique hotel, which it is. This while thing reminds me of people who would rather stay at the HR in Austin rather then the Driskill. I will stay in a big boring business hotel if it's the only option but I would much rather prefer a hotel with some charm right in the middle of everything, given the choice.
pronichkin likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I never had trouble redeeming free nights at the Andaz SD and they always treated me very well when I did (good upgrades, nice welcome gift, etc). I have never understood the hate for that hotel on this forum. The Manchester is very nice but at the end of the day it's a boring business hotel beside the convention center (which, I guess, is good if you are attending a convention). The Andaz is in a better location, has nicer rooms, better breakfast, and has treated me better. I would pay a small premium to stay there over the Manchester. (Though there's nothing wrong with the Manchester so I would not pay a large premium -- I'm not bashing it at all. I do like the microbrewery there, but the vibe is horrible because it's all business people there for business meetings... which is not unexpected for a business hotel)
My last 3 stays at Manchester have had virtually 0 business people.

I’ve stayed at both and would highly choose the Signature Suite at Manchester over the Andaz Suite.

I calculate probability for a comp upgrade vs. using a TSU never once stayed in a non-suite at Manchester in the 6 years I’ve stayed with them.

As for the hate it’s likely from comparing it to other Andaz properties like Andaz Papagayo and Andaz Mayakoba which it has nowhere near the quality or the service as those. The location is difficult with the night clubs and music blaring until 3am on weekends as well. Whereas it’s quiet with Manchester Grand and you have Amazing Views of the Harbor from the rooms. Another issue is the homeless encampment I and others have experienced almost at the front doors of the Andaz. I was there last summer and it was pretty prominent.

Not to mention the welcome package I suppose what you’d call it at Manchester Grand which includes a shoe shine, $10 F&B credit, free bike rental, free harbor cruise and so on.

For me personally 60% of my stays are at Category 1 and Category 2 properties, 30% at Category 3 properties in SoCal, and 10% at Category 4 and up properties.

So for me staying at a Cat 4 or higher property is a special occasion it truly needs to stand out. While Manchester may feel like a streamlined business property they do an amazing job at making Globalists feeling welcomed with their VIP team and the suites are really nice with the views as well as size.

Just having stayed at Andaz Mayakoba and Andaz Papagayo you go to Andaz San Diego with a certain expectation and it severely pales in comparison.

Just a few noticeable differences as others have shared.

Last edited by Matt4200; Mar 27, 2023 at 9:00 pm
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Matt4200
For me a prime example of this is Hyatt Place Moab that’s going to be a Category 5 that’s just insane. On top of that the property owner made a deal with Hyatt to mark this as a resort to get extra revenue, plus deny late checkouts for Elites.... it’s honestly Category 2 to Category 3 at best. Meaning $120-$180 cash rate is where it should be and that’s what it was...
HP Moab was on my list before Covid. IIRC 2019 rates were already $250 during popular times (like half of the year), and it was below $200 only in the winter.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
Just booked the Cape in Cabo for next Feb after checking out today. What a steal at Cat 6!
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
HP Moab was on my list before Covid. IIRC 2019 rates were already $250 during popular times (like half of the year), and it was below $200 only in the winter.
We’d only go there in the winter because we spoke to the GM and they said they do upgrade Globalists to the Casitas but only December to February when it’s slower.

IIRC there’s 4 or 5 Casitas in total we were the only ones using one during our 3 night stay. Jacuzzi was nice, breakfast was lacking we of course went to Arches mainly went to Moab just to check out this property since it was said to be the best HP in the world.

Staying in the Casita kind of felt like staying in a time share room/condo. Definitely wouldn’t go back at Category 4 much less a Category 5.

Also, a Cat 5 should be having an ADR (Averaged Daily Rate) of around $450.

Which would be about $600 average rate for March to November and $200-$250 average rate for December to February. Which is definitely not the case.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Zoëtry Casa del Mar Los Cabos appears to already be showing the higher rate.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Also, a Cat 5 should be having an ADR (Averaged Daily Rate) of around $450.
Why do you think a Cat 5 ADR should be around $450?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
It's already past 8 AM CDT and the rates haven't been updated yet? I just made what I felt to be a last-minute speculative booking. I have no idea if I'll even make the trip.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
I'm seeing the category changes now. About ~45 minutes past 8AM.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
I'm seeing the category changes now. About ~45 minutes past 8AM.
RIP AIs on points. Made 3 ziva cancun bookings before the bump. Sad as we went every year.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Based on the ADR’s of other Cat 5’s it should be $400-$450.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:07 am

Patiently waiting for my points refund....
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by projectmaximus

$450 does seem on the high side.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
It's already past 8 AM CDT and the rates haven't been updated yet? I just made what I felt to be a last-minute speculative booking. I have no idea if I'll even make the trip.
Just a heads up to double-check how many points actually came out of your account. I made a similar booking this morning and despite my reservation still showing it was 5k per night, they actually took 8k per night out of my account. I'm getting more pushback than expected in trying to get the points to actually reflect my reservation, but I'm guessing with all the screenshots I have that they'll eventually make it right.
Warriorconcept and pronichkin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.