Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

WoH 2023 Category Changes to Take Effect on Mar 28

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WoH 2023 Category Changes to Take Effect on Mar 28

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by downinit
Now that my 1.5 years as a GLOB light are over, I can honestly say that most of my GLOB upgrades were very underwhelming, and probably about the same as I would get as a Discoverist (1 category -> higher floor). The free breakfast was a nice perk, but most of the breakfasts were quite monotonous and not something I would consider paying for. The treatment in Europe was definitely better than North America, and that was the only place where I ever saw the inside of a suite or had a decent breakfast. Sadly, I never got a chance to go to Asia in that time due to the restrictions. The most disappointing part was the lounges. This was surely somewhat due to Covid, but even when they returned to "normal," they were a far cry from what I have experienced from IC and even Hilton.

The only real value I consistently got from GLOB was getting the resort fees waived, but that is another perk that is pretty worthless to people primarily staying in lower-tier and less-desirable locations. Now that Hyatt keeps weakening the point value and IHG has finally improved their top tier, I would honestly need to reconsider if I should keep with Hyatt or revert to IHG as my program of choice. I get DISC from my CC, and EXP doesn't seem to be any better than DISC, aside from the M-Life match to Gold. I really see no point in going out of my way to stay in Hyatt at this point.
bye bye. One less Glob to compete with

I have the opposite experience. Free breakfast, beautiful Suites (due to TSUs not as often due to free suite upgrades), no resort fees, nice lounges - this chain is a nice competitor to Marriott (and really the only competitor to Marriott). It's footprint is too small yet they allow us to use their cc to get the add'l nights to achieve Glob. All in all, a good program (not as good as SPG used to be) but solid (outside the US). If you're US centric (pun intended), then you'll find the program underwhelming. But globally it holds it's own although the footprint makes it somewhat difficult. At least for US based people the cc makes up that diff. Redemptions outside the US have been 2.8 cents per for me over the past 6 months. Very solid.

I'll stay and will continue to try to achieve Glob for 2024. Until they go the way of Hilton... I'll likely keep them as my primary chain (alongside Marriott). Where else you gonna go? Hilton? IHG? Puhlease. Hyatt & Marriott are the only games in town nowadays. Although IHG with Diamond and Ambassador is at least competitive at ICs only. But that footprint and the IC prices make them a distant 3rd.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:31 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Its amusing you think Marriott are closer to Hyatt than Hilton.

You must not be using that LT Titanium status much I submit.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Its amusing you think Marriott are closer to Hyatt than Hilton.

You must not be using that LT Titanium status much I submit.
I'm not sure I follow. I surely use Marriott Lifetime Titanium. Outside the US it gets me good value. Suite upgrades are non-existent, and the SNAs generally only clear outside the US. There aren't that many of them, so Hyatt is better (since the TSUs are for up to 7 nights and as Globs we get more of them). Marriott is still closer to Hyatt than Hilton. I rarely if ever see Suite upgrades at Hilton. And there are no TSUs and no SNAs to apply. Late checkouts til 4pm aren't guaranteed at Hilton. Hilton is clearly a lesser chain than Marriott (in terms of benefits for top tiers outside the US). Within the US - I'd call them equal since I rarely get anything at either chain there. Although now even Hiltons breakfasts are worse... since they capped it via a dollar credit.
As to redemptions, Marriott gets me greater than 1 penny per... while with Hilton you're going to get 20-30% less (maximum). Usually less.

Now downinit was asking about IHG vs Hyatt - I was the one who threw Hilton in there. Hard to see, however, how Hilton can be considered close to Hyatt at all. And as I see it, not close to Marriott either. It isn't even close to ICs at IHG (if you're a Diamond Ambassador). Hilton does beat the other brands at IHG however (imo).

What are you seeing at Hilton that puts them ahead of Marriott?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
<snip>The constant “people who meet the status requirements any other way than I are a lesser life form that shouldn’t sit in the lounge next to me” is pretty tired, frankly.
Agreed. Equally tiresome is the "I should get to live lifestyles of the rich and famous for a $450 annual credit card fee" point of view.

Regards
JoeWoodstock likes this.

Last edited by scubadu; Mar 9, 2023 at 8:18 am
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
IHG is looking more palatable now. Have received great upgrades as a Diamond.
How do you find Holiday Inns, compared with HP and HH, as well as Fairfield and Courtyards?

--woodstock
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
bye bye. One less Glob to compete with

I have the opposite experience. Free breakfast, beautiful Suites
Pretty obvious that we were not staying in the same places, as I was obviously not stealing anyone's suite upgrades. 2021-22 were the only years I really traveled at all domestically in the USA anyway due to Covid. I got plenty of value from the Healthcare Hero rate, so I won't complain too much. Just disappointed because I always thought GLOB would be more rewarding from all the hype in here.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
How do you find Holiday Inns, compared with HP and HH, as well as Fairfield and Courtyards?

--woodstock
Some people don't stay at limited service properties, and it's not like there aren't crappy HPs and HHs and good Fairfields and Courtyards (not going to comment on Holiday Inn as I have no experience).
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Pretty obvious that we were not staying in the same places, as I was obviously not stealing anyone's suite upgrades. 2021-22 were the only years I really traveled at all domestically in the USA anyway due to Covid. I got plenty of value from the Healthcare Hero rate, so I won't complain too much. Just disappointed because I always thought GLOB would be more rewarding from all the hype in here.
It's never a good idea to trust the hypes, anywhere.

If it's too good, it probably is, or it will get worse as more people find out about it.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I'm still confused on how folks on this forum can get these 90% to 100% suite upgrade rates as Globalists - that has been so far from the truth for me. It's like I'm staying at Hyatt in a different dimension than they are.
downinit and Polytonic like this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I'm still confused on how folks on this forum can get these 90% to 100% suite upgrade rates as Globalists - that has been so far from the truth for me. It's like I'm staying at Hyatt in a different dimension than they are.
I'm 13/13 on using TSUs, and on regular cash stays, probably get a suite upgrade ~1/2 of the time (and these are mostly US).

Honestly, no offense, think it's pretty clear you have both outlier good Marriott and outlier bad Hyatt experiences. Not that common a combo.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I'm about 10% proactive upgrade and another 10% if I ask.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm 13/13 on using TSUs, and on regular cash stays, probably get a suite upgrade ~1/2 of the time (and these are mostly US).

Honestly, no offense, think it's pretty clear you have both outlier good Marriott and outlier bad Hyatt experiences. Not that common a combo.
A 50% upgrade rate is much closer to what I would expect over a larger sample size. Seeing reports of 90 percent and 100 percent was making me seriously question what I did to Hyatt.

Originally Posted by SP03
Well, that's even worse than my performance.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:28 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I would call it an art form but if we/I shared every last secret everyone would be doing it
*What I would say the basic focal points are below as follows
*Determine occupancy for your intended dates
*Know the business culture of the property are they Globe friendly?
*Does the property typically have much suite inventory to upgrade too
*Does the property know you from past stays have you built requests in your profile of what your favorite room suite types are @ the given property?
*Don't be afraid to call them out if upgraded rooms and suites are available.
*Do not depend exclusively on the Hyatt Concierge team some of the time select hotels consider them next to being beggars for elites sad but true.(Take a guess which properties)
*Be the guest you would want if you owned or managed the hotel.Say please thank you tip well and show appreciation especially when you wish to return.
If all else fails.Call Hyatt Consumer Affairs if it matters and have them intervene if you can confirm they are being dishonest
(did it once in 30 years) Typically unnecessary
Rinse repeat all of the above where necessary and appropriate
Tino and italdesign like this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Mar 9, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Old Mar 9, 2023, 6:20 pm

We're 2 out of 11 on suite upgrades at participating Hyatts without using TSU. At Hyatt House we're actually 1 for 1 (from a studio to a 1 bedroom) A few times there was suite availability during the day but by the time we checked in late at night it was gone.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
We're 2 out of 11 on suite upgrades at participating Hyatts without using TSU. At Hyatt House we're actually 1 for 1 (from a studio to a 1 bedroom) A few times there was suite availability during the day but by the time we checked in late at night it was gone.
Downinit - I too rarely see complimentary Suite upgrades. Probably similar to projectmaximus, at a 10% clip or so. But using my TSUs, I'm 100% (Of course that's easy, because I pick weeks where Suites are avail). But my point is, the TSU is what has value... the complimentary upgrade is a 10-20% shot for me. Even worse than Marriott. I griped about it for quite a while in some Hyatt threads when I first became Globalist some years back. I finally figured out TSUs are the way to go. And now, my experience with the chain is improved.
SanDiego1K and pronichkin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.