Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

New Hyatt Brand for China - UrCove

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Hyatt Brand for China - UrCove

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster
Coming to you LIVE from the UrCove Shanghai Jing'an. I can confirm that non-PRC passport holders can indeed stay at the hotel now.

As far as my impressions, it's very similar to China's Hyatt Places, right down to the little robot waiter that brings basic amenities and shuttles around the property generally unnerving the clientele. Build quality is decent as it's a newly renovated location, and the design philosophy is as the renderings suggested.

Globalists get late checkout and free breakfast but no room upgrades, which is listed in the terms and conditions for the brand, but since Hyatt Places and Houses in China have given me upgrades in the past (including suites!) I wondered if this brand would follow suit. It would appear they don't. Suites out of the question anyway, since I haven't seen a room list for any UrCove property that had them as an option at all.

Overall a good value if you can get a special discount rate. No issues communicating with staff, though my questions were simple enough I could have used Mandarin if need be. A perfectly fine lower-cost option for Shanghai, and presumably Chengdu and Nanjing.
That's awesome! Is there a subway station nearby? Does UrCove even have suites? Late checkout as in 4 PM? What was the breakfast like? I'm assuming you booked your room from either the Hyatt website or app?
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
That's awesome! Is there a subway station nearby? Does UrCove even have suites? Late checkout as in 4 PM? What was the breakfast like? I'm assuming you booked your room from either the Hyatt website or app?
The Jing'an Temple subway station (Line 2/7) is about a 15-minute walk away. No suites that I could see. 4 pm late checkout.

The breakfast was fairly similar to the Hyatt Places in China I've been to — made to order eggs, a mix of Chinese and Western options. This location has a self-serve ice cream station, so if you want to indulge your inner 4-year-old and get ice cream for breakfast you can knock yourself out. They have a big selection of dessert pastries in addition to the standard croissants and danish.

I used the website to book, but there was some wonkiness going on with the dates I wanted. I had to try a few combinations of variables before the Jing'an location would show rates.

One thing I'll note is either the app integration hasn't been implemented yet here, or maybe it never will be due to the idiosyncrasies of the brand. App doesn't register check-in or checkout, there's no mobile key and you can't see your room number on the front page the way you can with other Hyatt properties.
lsquare and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Jing'an Temple subway station (Line 2/7) is about a 15-minute walk away. No suites that I could see. 4 pm late checkout.

The breakfast was fairly similar to the Hyatt Places in China I've been to — made to order eggs, a mix of Chinese and Western options. This location has a self-serve ice cream station, so if you want to indulge your inner 4-year-old and get ice cream for breakfast you can knock yourself out. They have a big selection of dessert pastries in addition to the standard croissants and danish.

I used the website to book, but there was some wonkiness going on with the dates I wanted. I had to try a few combinations of variables before the Jing'an location would show rates.

One thing I'll note is either the app integration hasn't been implemented yet here, or maybe it never will be due to the idiosyncrasies of the brand. App doesn't register check-in or checkout, there's no mobile key and you can't see your room number on the front page the way you can with other Hyatt properties.
15 minutes walk is quite a long walk. I was expecting the closest subway station to be closer.

As for the breakfast, it would be great if you can provide some more details as to what is served. If you have pictures that would be even better!

Thx!
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That location isn't so bad. There are a lot of decent bars and restaurants (e.g. Fat Cow) near Yanping Rd/Wuding Rd one block east. I usually take didi to/from there even though I work very close to JA Temple because it's not a very pleasant 15 minute walk.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:55 pm

One more update: The points and night credits posted as normal, as did the Brand Explorer entry for UrCove. No delays like you get with some brands.

Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I walked from Nanjing Rd to the Jingan UR Cove. It's not a pleasant 15 minute walk in an suit and leather shoes. There's nothing around the hotel.

The outside is awful looking and my colleague was dismayed.

But the lobby is quite nice w a coolish/hip feel. I didn't stay but thr internal renovation as nice, Stagg friendly when I asked a lot of questions

It'd be a good option for a cheap, reasonable stay. But don't expect to be able to walk out and get a lot...you're in a real local area which personally I like but high end restaurants and shopping really are a taxi ride away.

But based off the lobby, I'd try a URCove if well located in another city if I was looking for something cheap
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I walked from Nanjing Rd to the Jingan UR Cove. It's not a pleasant 15 minute walk in an suit and leather shoes. There's nothing around the hotel.

The outside is awful looking and my colleague was dismayed.

But the lobby is quite nice w a coolish/hip feel. I didn't stay but thr internal renovation as nice, Stagg friendly when I asked a lot of questions

It'd be a good option for a cheap, reasonable stay. But don't expect to be able to walk out and get a lot...you're in a real local area which personally I like but high end restaurants and shopping really are a taxi ride away.

But based off the lobby, I'd try a URCove if well located in another city if I was looking for something cheap
No convenience stores or family-run restaurants nearby?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:21 am

No convenience stores or family-run restaurants nearby?
There's a FamilyMart right across the street. Some bars and restaurants within five minutes' walk, none of which I tried.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There's a FamilyMart right across the street. Some bars and restaurants within five minutes' walk, none of which I tried.
-Fat Cow
-The Italian place next to Fat Cow
-Ola
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's awesome. Would love to hear further details from you about the breakfast...
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold
Checked in yesterday for a two night stay at UrCove Jing'an.

Booking: property accepts foreigners, booking done via Hyatt App but the App doesn't update to reflect check-in status or provide mobile key access.

Location: it is in a real local neighborhood along a one-way road. 15 minutes walk from Jing'an subway station and the walk ain't pleasant with ongoing construction activities along the way. I switched to cabs after my first walk.

Meals: breakfast is similar to what Hyatt Place in Asia offers. Congee, fried rice, basic dim sum, eggs (omelette, sunny side up, fried, boiled), sausages, baked beans, fresh fruits, coffee, milk, bread, cakes etc.

Room: no upgrade for globalist, but was assigned a more favorable room within the category booked. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion by Portico. No international TV channels (likes of CNN/CNBC/Bloomberg/HBO etc).

Others: free DIY washer and dryer, gym is really small with two thread mills and some basic weights.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by germatory
Checked in yesterday for a two night stay at UrCove Jing'an.

Booking: property accepts foreigners, booking done via Hyatt App but the App doesn't update to reflect check-in status or provide mobile key access.

Location: it is in a real local neighborhood along a one-way road. 15 minutes walk from Jing'an subway station and the walk ain't pleasant with ongoing construction activities along the way. I switched to cabs after my first walk.

Meals: breakfast is similar to what Hyatt Place in Asia offers. Congee, fried rice, basic dim sum, eggs (omelette, sunny side up, fried, boiled), sausages, baked beans, fresh fruits, coffee, milk, bread, cakes etc.

Room: no upgrade for globalist, but was assigned a more favorable room within the category booked. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion by Portico. No international TV channels (likes of CNN/CNBC/Bloomberg/HBO etc).

Others: free DIY washer and dryer, gym is really small with two thread mills and some basic weights.
So can foreigners stay at UrCove now?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:25 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
So can foreigners stay at UrCove now?
2nd paragraph indicates „yes“.
TravisMT81 and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:34 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
This brand will probably remain unchecked on Brand Explore for most of us
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
This brand will probably remain unchecked on Brand Explore for most of us
Whenever China opens up again, I'll give UrCove a try.
TravisMT81 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.