Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

New Hyatt Brand for China - UrCove

New Hyatt Brand for China - UrCove

Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:37 am
  #106  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Beijing
Posts: 295
Originally Posted by lsquare
So Globalists don't get free breakfast at UrCove?
They do.

Made in China underwhelmed after the praise I saw for it here. Siji Minfu, Jing Yaa Tang, Sheng Yong Xing and Da Dong were all superior in my estimation. After a seemingly endless renovation period, it's re-opening on the 6th and I may give them another try.
Cotton Candy Lobster is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2023, 1:01 am
  #107  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,940
Following up on my Post #97, above, I guess I should have given more credit to the Agent who took care of the checkout. My stay at UrCove Futian posted within two days to my WOH account. I did reach the 30-night milestone, and now have plenty of time to apply the Cat1-4 Free Night to my post-Easter trip to Shanghai. Strange, though, that this stay on 01-02 Apr sill shows on my phone's Hyatt App as a "current stay". Logging out and logging in does not fix the problem.

For my trip to Shenzhen 04-05 Apr, the rate at UrCove Futian went down, and at the Shangri-La Futian went up. So, I booked and just completed the stay at UrCove. This time, my base Garden View room was upgraded to what looked like the Audio Visual King (see website photo), but with a normal LED TV instead of the projection screen. No OSIM massage chair this time. As I was walking along the hallway, I did peek into another room which housekeeping was cleaning. That room had a stationary exercise bike positioned right next to the window. Not really sure how to book these rooms with massage chair or exercise equipment.

Worst thing about the stay was that the building had scheduled an electrical blackout for 23:00 - 23:30. I was notified of this during check-in. Not a problem for me because I went out for a late-night run (quite pleasant to jog in the Futian area), and came back after the blackout had ended. Or, so I thought. The electricity kept going out throughout the night. I noticed because the fan and aircon went off. Luckily, not too hot at this time of the year, so the ambient temperature was bearable. However, every time the electricity got connected again, the LED TV would turn on with volume on (playing background music!). That woke me up at 3:00am, 5:00am, and then again at 6:30am. Went out for a morning walk then to breakfast (which was definitely worse quality than my first stay), and then checked out and back to Hong Kong. During check out, I did complain, and the Agent said that they had some unanticipated electrical issues to deal with.
Fly Me To The Moon is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 11:55 am
  #108  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Posts: 1,986
Ok so a usa pass cant stay at UrCove Beijing Forbidden City
any other Hyatt close by tourist sites that is allowed?
frank_10b is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 2:45 pm
  #109  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,851
Originally Posted by frank_10b
Ok so a usa pass cant stay at UrCove Beijing Forbidden City
any other Hyatt close by tourist sites that is allowed?
Did you try to walk in or book online?
lsquare is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 2:58 pm
  #110  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 41,953
Originally Posted by frank_10b
Ok so a usa pass cant stay at UrCove Beijing Forbidden City
any other Hyatt close by tourist sites that is allowed?
It's bookable on ctrip.
moondog is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 4:30 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,173
Grand Hyatt and Bei Zhalong allow foreigners and are near Forbidden City. GH is much closer and walkable, BZ need a taxi.

booking via Ctrip you need to look in and see if the hotel accepts mainland only passport holders, or if they allow HK and Taiwanese as well, or of they also allow foreigners.

Typcially UR coves will say only mainland passport holders at the booking stage. I didn't see that for forbidden city but could've missed it. If you look on Ctrip, make sure foreigners can indeed book. Just because Ctrip lete you book, it doesn't mean that the hotel actually let's foreigners stay.

I stillhavent stayed at a UR Cove because so many when they first opened don't allow foreigners, some for a long time. There's one near my home that I wanted to do a mattress one on for a free night certificate explorer and they wouldnt let foreigners stay and that's been going on for at least 6 months.

It's annoying having to check this too because they don't write whether foreigners are allowed to stay or not in the place on the app


​​
SHLTP is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 6:16 pm
  #112  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,851
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Grand Hyatt and Bei Zhalong allow foreigners and are near Forbidden City. GH is much closer and walkable, BZ need a taxi.

booking via Ctrip you need to look in and see if the hotel accepts mainland only passport holders, or if they allow HK and Taiwanese as well, or of they also allow foreigners.

Typcially UR coves will say only mainland passport holders at the booking stage. I didn't see that for forbidden city but could've missed it. If you look on Ctrip, make sure foreigners can indeed book. Just because Ctrip lete you book, it doesn't mean that the hotel actually let's foreigners stay.

I stillhavent stayed at a UR Cove because so many when they first opened don't allow foreigners, some for a long time. There's one near my home that I wanted to do a mattress one on for a free night certificate explorer and they wouldnt let foreigners stay and that's been going on for at least 6 months.

It's annoying having to check this too because they don't write whether foreigners are allowed to stay or not in the place on the app


​​
What's the reason for that?
lsquare is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 6:22 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 4,904
Originally Posted by lsquare
What's the reason for that?
Some hotels dont have the right system set up to scan foreign passports and transmit the information to the government and/or the permit to house guests without Chinese ID/passport.
myperks is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 6:32 pm
  #114  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,851
Originally Posted by myperks
Some hotels dont have the right system set up to scan foreign passports and transmit the information to the government and/or the permit to house guests without Chinese ID/passport.
Did they update the system again?

In 2009, when I was backpacking around China, I stayed in low-end hotels around China using a foreign passport. Even in Urumqi, it wasn't a problem. I just paid cash and did one-night stays. It was nothing complicated.
lsquare is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 6:56 pm
  #115  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,173
Originally Posted by lsquare
Did they update the system again?

In 2009, when I was backpacking around China, I stayed in low-end hotels around China using a foreign passport. Even in Urumqi, it wasn't a problem. I just paid cash and did one-night stays. It was nothing complicated.

Some hotels simply haven't gotten per ission yet or didn't even apply. Most even low end hotels now accept foreigners unlike in the 1990s.

Most of the country is fairly open for foreigners, except Tibet and Xinjiang. Tibet low ends typcially don't accept foreigners. Most places in Xinjiang will accept foreigners but quite a few won't.

Xinjiang is the only place where I've actively looked whether they accept foreigners or not.

Urcoves often don't which was surprising and annoying. That said I had a foreign colleague have problems in Luoyang last week finding a hotel as the typcial Chinese chain she stays at didn't let here

I think covid caused a lot of issues as the paperwork for foreigners during covid was often hell. Especially in Xinjiang which was crazy strict. Getting from city to city took an hour checkpoint last summer because of covid issues
lsquare likes this.
SHLTP is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 7:30 pm
  #116  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 41,953
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Grand Hyatt and Bei Zhalong allow foreigners and are near Forbidden City. GH is much closer and walkable, BZ need a taxi.

booking via Ctrip you need to look in and see if the hotel accepts mainland only passport holders, or if they allow HK and Taiwanese as well, or of they also allow foreigners.

Typcially UR coves will say only mainland passport holders at the booking stage. I didn't see that for forbidden city but could've missed it. If you look on Ctrip, make sure foreigners can indeed book. Just because Ctrip lete you book, it doesn't mean that the hotel actually let's foreigners stay.

I stillhavent stayed at a UR Cove because so many when they first opened don't allow foreigners, some for a long time. There's one near my home that I wanted to do a mattress one on for a free night certificate explorer and they wouldnt let foreigners stay and that's been going on for at least 6 months.

It's annoying having to check this too because they don't write whether foreigners are allowed to stay or not in the place on the app


​​
IME, Ctrip doesn't display hotels to me unless they accept passports (mine is saved in my account). In some cases, they will show the hotel but not availability. In this case, they are showing lots of availability, and are willing to accept payment.

As you point out, many economy hotels in China do not accept foreigners; maintaining PSB compliance is an added nuisance if they can fill their rooms with ID card holders. This doesn't really bother me though; it's the property's decision, and there are always other options.
moondog is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 7:34 pm
  #117  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 41,953
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Some hotels simply haven't gotten per ission yet or didn't even apply. Most even low end hotels now accept foreigners unlike in the 1990s.

Most of the country is fairly open for foreigners, except Tibet and Xinjiang. Tibet low ends typcially don't accept foreigners. Most places in Xinjiang will accept foreigners but quite a few won't.

Xinjiang is the only place where I've actively looked whether they accept foreigners or not.

Urcoves often don't which was surprising and annoying. That said I had a foreign colleague have problems in Luoyang last week finding a hotel as the typcial Chinese chain she stays at didn't let here

I think covid caused a lot of issues as the paperwork for foreigners during covid was often hell. Especially in Xinjiang which was crazy strict. Getting from city to city took an hour checkpoint last summer because of covid issues
Why is that surprising? The press release in the OP of this thread somewhat clearly states the brand's positioning, and it's a JV with Home Inn.
moondog is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 8:10 pm
  #118  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,851
Originally Posted by moondog
Why is that surprising? The press release in the OP of this thread somewhat clearly states the brand's positioning, and it's a JV with Home Inn.
I'm trying to stay at all the Hyatt brands for that bonus.
lsquare is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 8:28 pm
  #119  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,173
It's surprising because some properties accept foreigners and some don't - not a blanket ban. Nor is it based on city, ie Kashgar more sensitive than say Shanghai. But not all UR coves in Shanghai accept foreigners.

There's no standardization or rhyme or reason why some accept and some don't.

And most Home Inns do accept foreigners so it being a JV really explain things.
lsquare likes this.
SHLTP is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 8:46 pm
  #120  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 41,953
Originally Posted by SHLTP
It's surprising because some properties accept foreigners and some don't - not a blanket ban. Nor is it based on city, ie Kashgar more sensitive than say Shanghai. But not all UR coves in Shanghai accept foreigners.

There's no standardization or rhyme or reason why some accept and some don't.

And most Home Inns do accept foreigners so it being a JV really explain things.
TMK, it's not a guaranteed offering for the URCove brand, and there are many different owners. It's up to them whether or not they want foreigners.
moondog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.