Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

New Hyatt Brand for China - UrCove

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Hyatt Brand for China - UrCove

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
Do you realize that Hyatt has a lot of Chinese customers that can book and stay at these properties?
It's an unacceptable situation regardless of whether it's a government law. Your view is like saying US properties can advertise but not let Chinese or other non-Americans stay. Or discriminate based off skin color. The current policy by definition is discriminatory and Hyatt should not make those properties show up on the Hyatt website. If they want to sell only to Chinese, they set up a separate UR Cove site until they are approved to allow foreign guests.

Case closed. It's discriminatory.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Do you realize that Hyatt has a lot of Chinese customers that can book and stay at these properties?
Unfortunately, this isn't the first time I've seen a Chinese hotel not accepting foreigners.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
It's an unacceptable situation regardless of whether it's a government law. Your view is like saying US properties can advertise but not let Chinese or other non-Americans stay. Or discriminate based off skin color. The current policy by definition is discriminatory and Hyatt should not make those properties show up on the Hyatt website. If they want to sell only to Chinese, they set up a separate UR Cove site until they are approved to allow foreign guests.

Case closed. It's discriminatory.
Yeah, because you can't, nobody should be allowed to. Too bad Hyatt caters for a wide range of clientele, not only American.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 4:44 pm

Yeah, because you can't, nobody should be allowed to. Too bad Hyatt caters for a wide range of clientele, not only American.

Ah yes, we should all get a Green Book to see where we are allowed to stay when booking at an American owned hotel chain.

​​​​​
Old Oct 19, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The thread title should read new Hyatt brand for Chinese only.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:03 pm

Hotels in China do have to jump through extra hoops to accept foreigners, and many never bother since for them there's no practical need. But an international hotel franchise debuting a new brand really should have had this worked out before setting an opening date.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:12 pm

Ah yes, we should all get a Green Book to see where we are allowed to stay when booking at an American owned hotel chain.

​​​​​
The Green Book existed because Black Americans faced the very real possibility of battery or murder for setting foot in the wrong town. In this case you might have to wait a little longer to get another entry in your Brand Explorer.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 5:02 pm

Well, it's November 1 and I still can't book any UR Cove as my concierge promised me I'd be able to by Nov 1.

I drove by the Jingan one last week. It's right next to a construction zone and there is nothing near it in terms of restaurants and shopping nearby.

But it is a good location if you just sleeping there and going to Jingan for meetings and entertainment. At the price and location, it'd be a good bet. I didn't go into the property
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well, it's November 1 and I still can't book any UR Cove as my concierge promised me I'd be able to by Nov 1.

I drove by the Jingan one last week. It's right next to a construction zone and there is nothing near it in terms of restaurants and shopping nearby.

But it is a good location if you just sleeping there and going to Jingan for meetings and entertainment. At the price and location, it'd be a good bet. I didn't go into the property
I've stayed at hotels in that immediate area several times in the past when between apartments, and am unable to call it a "good location" (i.e. it's not like you're going to eat all meals at Fat Cow). It appears there is going to be a Line 14 station (still scheduled for 2020 opening) pretty much right there though, which might make it quite a bit more viable.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Oct 31, 2020 at 9:01 pm
Old Oct 31, 2020, 8:42 pm

I don't love the area either but it's a quick drive to Plaza 66/ Kerry Centrt/Wheelock area so if you're looking for a cheap, Hyatt qualification night near there it's located well. I was just at Grand Hyatt Friday night for example - that'd be a terrible location for a meeting in Plaza 66 Unless you willing to take metro (which is a convenient system by the way for newbies to Shanghai). But there is literally nothing within a 10-15 minute walk

I finally got ahold of a concierge just now who now says they don't know when foreigners will be allowed to stay at UR Coves. I'm not holding my breathe.
​​
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 9:21 pm

I don't love the area either but it's a quick drive to Plaza 66/ Kerry Centrt/Wheelock area so if you're looking for a cheap, Hyatt qualification night near there it's located well. I was just at Grand Hyatt Friday night for example - that'd be a terrible location for a meeting in Plaza 66 Unless you willing to take metro (which is a convenient system by the way for newbies to Shanghai). But there is literally nothing within a 10-15 minute walk

I finally got ahold of a concierge just now who now says they don't know when foreigners will be allowed to stay at UR Coves. I'm not holding my breathe.
​​
I also go to the Kerry Centre or Park Place almost daily. Line 2 is really convenient for both...maybe Line 7 as well, but I rarely avail of Line 7. Since neither are usually viable for me, I typically take a car from where I live in the south (near the Park Tavern on Hengshan), which is pretty easy. 12 at Hengshan was recently reflagged as Hualuxe, which I think is an IHG brand, and they seem to have done a pretty nice renovation. If I was visiting (the real) JA itself, I'd probably spring for the Puli or Shangri-La, both of which are reasonably priced these days. But, the Crowne Plaza at Jiangsu Rd Stn isn't a bad option either because it's only one stop away, and is quite affordable. As you know, Hyatt still doesn't have any well located properties in Shanghai. I'd almost give the Andaz a pass on this front, but Xintiandi isn't especially convenient unless you want to be in Xintiandi (i.e. there are a few big companies there).
Old Oct 31, 2020, 11:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Fourth UrCove now up on Hyatt's directory: UrCove Nanjing South Railway Station.

khabah
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
I also go to the Kerry Centre or Park Place almost daily. Line 2 is really convenient for both...maybe Line 7 as well, but I rarely avail of Line 7. Since neither are usually viable for me, I typically take a car from where I live in the south (near the Park Tavern on Hengshan), which is pretty easy. 12 at Hengshan was recently reflagged as Hualuxe, which I think is an IHG brand, and they seem to have done a pretty nice renovation. If I was visiting (the real) JA itself, I'd probably spring for the Puli or Shangri-La, both of which are reasonably priced these days. But, the Crowne Plaza at Jiangsu Rd Stn isn't a bad option either because it's only one stop away, and is quite affordable. As you know, Hyatt still doesn't have any well located properties in Shanghai. I'd almost give the Andaz a pass on this front, but Xintiandi isn't especially convenient unless you want to be in Xintiandi (i.e. there are a few big companies there).
I really don't get Xintiandi. Seems like the area cater to foreigners and the affluent Chinese.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I really don't get Xintiandi. Seems like the area cater to foreigners and the affluent Chinese.
I used to live (very nice) and work (not bad) there, but after our office moved, I followed suit and have no regrets.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Nov 1, 2020 at 10:49 am
Old Nov 1, 2020, 8:31 am

You can book to your heart's content. I myself have a couple stays preemptively booked at the special discount rate and will cancel if I end up not traveling to Shanghai or approval for foreigners has not yet been granted.

The question is whether you'll be able to stay there. At the moment, the answer still appears to be "No."
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by Cotton Candy Lobster; Nov 1, 2020 at 5:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.