Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
You'll get out your check book for 3 more months
4 more months.

Why are so many people having difficulty understanding the length of this promotion?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by serpens
It appears that a stay that ends on September 1 is eligible, and that stay would necessarily involve a check-in before the start of the period from September 1 to December 30. In the extreme case, someone who checked in on or before August 12 would appear to meet the conditions upon check-out on September 1.
Do the T&Cs address nights consumed prior to registration?

In general your surmise is in line with the program's provisions in which a stay ending on Jan 1 (for example) would count towards next year's qualifications however knowing Hyatt's IT I have no idea if indeed this would work.

Originally Posted by iflyjetz

It looks like this change to World of Hilarity has been very good to me after all - I've burned a ton of points in 2017 and can now burn a ton more points in 2018 as a glob. Winning!

To PortlySpartacus and the rest of the 'true Globs' who threw a ton of shade on us unworthy 25 stay Diamonds, it looks like I'll still be taking space in your lounges and stealing some of your suite upgrades at checkin for at least another year. ^
To the first point: That's exactly how I feel.

To the second: A bit vindictive. But it is clearly a sore spot with those who thought themselves above us lowly 25 stay/45 night plebes.

As I put the pieces together, 20 nights will get me another year as Glob, bringing my total to 29. So an additional night would just a 2 for 1.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I will enjoy my Globalist status as a result of this promotion next year, but at least I will still have 35 actual paid nights getting there and not just 25 nights/25 stays like so many bellyaching previous-diamonds were getting for so long.
So your 10 additional paid nights over above this mythical 25/25 beast builds a soap box from which you're preaching?

Forgive me for being skeptical but where do these magical and mythical beasts roam? If so many 25/25s were bellyaching then you can surely give a list of their IDs.

I'll be here waiting.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Try checking over the past three months. A time period over which World of Hyatt was fully active.

I await your confirmation of the results.
I'd argue last three months is not very meaningful of a period. Year to date covers the current requalification period accurately. People who decided to bail will probably have left to start somewhere else at the beginning of the year.

But if you want to do a comparison over the period that WoH was in full effect, why 3 months? It started six months ago, on March 1. How's the comparison for that?

Ultimately it is probably only reasonable to do comparisons over a longer period of time (years). Lots of other factors in play. Uncertainty about MR/SPG for example. And factors completely unrelated to loyalty programs. Just look at the last earnings call and the amount of discussion WoH got.

Maybe Hyatt will provide some insights next year at their investor day. I recall reading through a presentation from a few years ago that had some numbers that were more interesting than the stock price.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Aug 29, 2017 at 9:11 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Try checking over the past three months. A time period over which World of Hyatt was fully active.

I await your confirmation of the results.
Wait no more!

I looked up performance since March 1, the day this Tale of WoH began. Over that time period, Marriott's rise was 24.3% bigger than Hyatt's rise. (March 1 was just a couple of weeks after Hyatt dropped like a rock just before this disaster rolled out. So the numbers would be far more dismal for Hyatt had I picked mid-February.)

Good luck trying to spin World of Hurt as a rousing success. So rousing they had to slash the price of it by two-thirds.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I think nowadays loyalty is over-rated for airline and hotel programs but some are still very emotionally attached to their loyalty / elite status and feel the corporation owes them something more than their elite benefits. It's probably best to become a (big!) shareholder if someone wants a voice in how company should be run.

Let's say, Hyatt loses 500 Globalists over this promo (far fetched), with each one of them taking their 75 nights with them for 2018. That's 37,500 nights lost.

Let's say, Hyatt gains 3,000 Globalists with this promo (not far fetched) and immediately generates 60,000 nights from their 20-nights qualification WITHOUT having to provide Globalist benefits.

Let's say, those 3,000 Globalists each book an average of 10 nights in 2018 because of their newly minted status ... that's another 30,000 nights gained.

Let's say, Hyatt retains 10% from the 3,000 Globalists for 2019.

Well .... you get the picture.

These are business decisions. Not emotional.
I don't know if the figures are accurate or not. But the spirit of the post is on.

1. I think some of the 25 stay diamonds are little full of themselves sometimes. How much will Hyatt really lose from not having some these 25 stay 'diamonds' year after year who like to game the most value no matter what? How many of these were just staying 25 nights, racking up 25K in 'welcome amenities' while only spending maybe $3000 in spending. With ~9 points per $ spent between the 5 base points, 3 bonus points on a creditcard, and 1-2 pt on the diamond bonus, all told, they could come up with enough points for 10 free nights at Cat 1s after 25 nights of actually paying for room-- or 1 free night per 2.5 nights stayed. That is a hefty return. That doesn't make business sense. People talk about WoH as a devaluation, but it is ONLY a devaluation for that group of people qualifying on stays and racking large returns on amenity points.

2. How many people are staying maybe at 30-40 nights on longer term stays, too low or maybe enough for Hilton Gold, but not enough for Hilton Diamond or other top tiers? AKA- the affluent leisure traveler. WoH gives them 4 club lounge awards that can be used on a few of their vacations, everyone else says no-dice.

If you gain 1 person in case 2, for every person lost in case 1 above, WoH gets more nights spent while having to give away less overall. Meanwhile, while those travelers that were spending less in case 1 loses value, travellers in case 2 gains value under WoH and may appreciate that.

The credit-card promo to globalist maybe makes a handful of 60 night globalists mad because there may be 'competition' for upgrades at check-in and more people in the club, but how many mid-tier 25-50 night a year type travelers now see that they can get a top status at Hyatt for next year? The 60 night traveler is a real value to Hyatt, I am sure, hence the confirmed suite upgrades and cat1-7 award that comes from that number of stays (in perspective, I think perhaps that move is a stroke of genius to make sure that elite 60 night travelers always get something significant just for them outside of the tier matching/promos/and so on), but let's not pretend that there isn't a large enough group of people that might decide to stay Thanksgiving weekend at that HP near Grandma's house because of this promo. I said it many page back--- I don't care for promos based on principal and simpleness (even if I benefit from this one), but Hyatt probably is gaining something regardless of some hurt feelings from some people thinking they should get lougnes to themselves and suite upgrades all the time on top of their confirmed suite upgrades and free award stay just because they stayed 60 nights a year while others only stayed (at very minimum) 20 nights within four months (and more realistically, probably something like 30-59 nights).
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I was waiting for this moment when you Hyatt defectors would be able to find a way to come crawling back to reach their Globalist status within plenty of time to reap the rewards that were taken from you by the WoH changes earlier this year.

Is this a safety net, or an ego pusher offering you the status you so covet but thought was now out of your reach? You can do it. get the card, put in the 20 nights, its attainable once again. Imagine another year of top tier treatment from the hotel program that you swore you would never again give another dollar to over your dead body.

You have spent this year drawing down your point balance, telling Hyatt and anyone that would listen how this is it, once your points and Glob status are gone after this year, you are finished, fini, finito!

Now, there is a glimmer of hope. You see daylight on the horizon to once again achieve an elite level that you truly deserve. You can put the past changes of WoH behind you and look forward once again. You even go so far as to consider being called Globalist to your face and not wincing. Well, lets not go that far. You'll get out your check book for 3 more months, rearrange your plans, and make it happen. You know you will....and then all will be right with WoH again. Welcome home 25 stays per year friends, where have you been?
LOLZ! I was waiting for your response. You're always amusing.

Crawling back? Hardly; I stated when World of Hilarity was launched that I'd be back when Hyatt gave me an 'in'. And frankly, I wouldn't even take up this offer if not for a 3 week vacation in Oct. Sure, I'm even rearranging destinations in order to book Hyatts (Egypt will be there after I've burned all of my Hyatt points but there won't be any Hyatts where I want to go in Egypt this year or any time in the foreseeable future). I found the new Baha Mar's offering a week for <$200/night, allowing me to use one of my 4 remaining TSUs. Not even worth burning points there since it's 10Kpts+$125/night. I'll find another destination or two for the rest of the time - I've got >200K points left to burn and a Baha Mar stay isn't going to burn any.

Safety net/ego pusher? No; if I wanted an ego pusher, I'd renew my Fairmont Platinum status next year - that's more prestigious than glob status. But frankly, the value's not there for me at Fairmonts. After all, I can 'scam' all of the perks off of Hyatt that I want - a good free breakfast and lots of suite upgrades at checkin. That works for me; I chase perks and value, not status.

Where have I been? Getting Fairmont Platinum and sampling other programs (Hilton, Intercontinental, Accor). I have Starriott LT Plat but I mainly use that as a backup. This year was mostly devoted to Fairmont but I'll let my Plat lapse; just a couple more free Fairmont nights to burn in 2018. My experiences with Intercontinentals (better value to me) this year moved them up my list considerably and I'll likely move there once I've burned my hoard of Hyatt points. It'll take close to 2 years to burn the rest of my Hyatt points, especially with the brand explorer + credit card free nights thrown in.

It's so nice to know that you and I will share the same status at Hyatts for another year (maybe longer). Hey, maybe we'll stay at the same hotel sometime! And we can swap stories. Who knows, if I check in before you and snag the last suite, I'll let you know all about the room layout. Or just pay the extra $20 in advance and get something better than an entry suite. ^

Originally Posted by nhwiki
WOH has been very eye opening for us, as we've found some really nice non-Hyatt properties in places where we've always stayed at sub-par or too expensive Hyatts, mostly because of GP. Now, we may pay for breakfast at times, but really, most of the time hotel breakfasts are over rated and too expensive, whereas we've found fantastic breakfast places all over the US and Europe.
Get the IHG credit card and try a few Intercontinentals. The annual fee is $49 and gives you Plat status and one free night at any IHG property. We've stayed at some great Intercontinentals on free nights - our opinion is that their product is better than most Fairmonts and full serve Hilton, Starriott, and Hyatt brands. And their prices are usually lower than the other chains. No breakfast, but as you stated, one can find breakfast outside of the hotel. This year, we found that the best overall value for us is Intercontinentals.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
To the second: A bit vindictive. But it is clearly a sore spot with those who thought themselves above us lowly 25 stay/45 night plebes.
I'd go with petty over vindictive, but I suppose either would be correct.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Aug 29, 2017 at 9:21 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I'd argue last three months is not very meaningful of a period. Year to date covers the current requalification period accurately. People who decided to bail will probably have left to start somewhere else at the beginning of the year.

But if you want to do a comparison over the period that WoH was in full effect, why 3 months? It started six months ago, on March 1. How's the comparison for that?

Ultimately it is probably only reasonable to do comparisons over a longer period of time. Lots of other factors in play. Uncertainty about MR/SPG for example. And factors completely unrelated to loyalty programs. Just look at the last earnings call and the amount of discussion WoH got.

Maybe Hyatt will provide some insights next year at their investor day. I recall reading through a presentation from a few years ago that had some numbers that were more interesting than the stock price.
In fairness, as others have already pointed out, top tiers are only a percentage of all guests. I was at a Regency yesterday and there were about 45 people queued up in the non-elite line (obviously a bus group had just arrived) and ZERO in the WoH line.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JackE
How's that thinning of the herd working out for you?
So far this year pretty good. I'm speaking in terms of the complimentary suite upgrades that so many of the WoH haters want banned in the T's & C's because they consider the language fraudulent. I've been upgraded more times this year than in previous years. In reviewing the thread on the suite upgrade subject my interpretation is its a net positive to Globs this year. So from that stand point, thin away and my suite awaits me. Glorious!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many of these were just staying 25 nights, racking up 25K in 'welcome amenities' while only spending maybe $3000 in spending.
That is a great question. For all who are running scared of this mythical and terrible beast I await your research.

My guess is the information can be found proximal to the Boogie Man and possibly alongside the noted and feral Rocky Mountain Nauga from which the wonderful Naugahyde is harvested.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

I don't know if the figures are accurate or not. But the spirit of the post is on.

1. I think some of the 25 stay diamonds are little full of themselves sometimes. How much will Hyatt really lose from not having some these 25 stay 'diamonds' year after year who like to game the most value no matter what? How many of these were just staying 25 nights, racking up 25K in 'welcome amenities' while only spending maybe $3000 in spending. With ~9 points per $ spent between the 5 base points, 3 bonus points on a creditcard, and 1-2 pt on the diamond bonus, all told, they could come up with enough points for 10 free nights at Cat 1s after 25 nights of actually paying for room-- or 1 free night per 2.5 nights stayed. That is a hefty return. That doesn't make business sense. People talk about WoH as a devaluation, but it is ONLY a devaluation for that group of people qualifying on stays and racking large returns on amenity points.

2. How many people are staying maybe at 30-40 nights on longer term stays, too low or maybe enough for Hilton Gold, but not enough for Hilton Diamond or other top tiers? AKA- the affluent leisure traveler. WoH gives them 4 club lounge awards that can be used on a few of their vacations, everyone else says no-dice.

If you gain 1 person in case 2, for every person lost in case 1 above, WoH gets more nights spent while having to give away less overall. Meanwhile, while those travelers that were spending less in case 1 loses value, travellers in case 2 gains value under WoH and may appreciate that.

The credit-card promo to globalist maybe makes a handful of 60 night globalists mad because there may be 'competition' for upgrades at check-in and more people in the club, but how many mid-tier 25-50 night a year type travelers now see that they can get a top status at Hyatt for next year? The 60 night traveler is a real value to Hyatt, I am sure, hence the confirmed suite upgrades and cat1-7 award that comes from that number of stays (in perspective, I think perhaps that move is a stroke of genius to make sure that elite 60 night travelers always get something significant just for them outside of the tier matching/promos/and so on), but let's not pretend that there isn't a large enough group of people that might decide to stay Thanksgiving weekend at that HP near Grandma's house because of this promo. I said it many page back--- I don't care for promos based on principal and simpleness (even if I benefit from this one), but Hyatt probably is gaining something regardless of some hurt feelings from some people thinking they should get lougnes to themselves and suite upgrades all the time on top of their confirmed suite upgrades and free award stay just because they stayed 60 nights a year while others only stayed (at very minimum) 20 nights within four months (and more realistically, probably something like 30-59 nights).
Considering 25 nights and 25K points both usually have a marginal cost near zero, $3,000 was a nice return for Hyatt even using your numbers.

We know that Gold Passport was a great program. They told us that many, many times.

Then they got greedy and turned many of their biggest boosters into critics. Epic.

And what's your view on Hyatt now requiring TWENTY nights?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
So far this year pretty good. I'm speaking in terms of the complimentary suite upgrades that so many of the WoH haters want banned in the T's & C's because they consider the language fraudulent. I've been upgraded more times this year than in previous years. In reviewing the thread on the suite upgrade subject my interpretation is its a net positive to Globs this year. So from that stand point, thin away and my suite awaits me. Glorious!
On the suites, we agree. I've also gotten suites on just about every one of my free nights, something that didn't happen in the past.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:26 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Kacee
So much for the "2018 will be so much better due to 'thinning of the herd'" theory.
Couldn't agree more Kacee
Out the window and I'm a pretty happy guy all things considered with Hyatt generally
Disappointed here to say the least not so much for myself but for the membership base who trusted Hyatt to deliver
a pristine above boards exclusive program that delivers to the highest caliber
Members will certainly be affected in some instances in the most popular cities like NYC,San Fran Andaz Maui etc

I'll be at 70 nights even as a Lifetime Globalist in a few months
and though I personally like many of the changes to the Globalist tier there are distinct negatives too
Hyatt seems unable to listen, consider amending the issues even with a reasonable approach
Perhaps the overwhelming negative early responses left corporate desensitized like an airline program?
Not a single survey was ever sent (perhaps to others?) to look into positives or negatives.

I was really looking forward to a cleaner more exclusive Globalist tier in 2018 .Its essentially toast now and makes hotels tighten up in some cases
Was looking forward to see hotels more elite friendly with recognition to the WOH members who have truly earned it through their loyalty

The popular Hotels are already struggling with the grandfathered Diamonds to Globalists and management shares with me their challenges
of Globalists seeking suites at check in and now a whole large group of elite lites further complicating the problem in no time
On a positive note I have had many positive exchanges this year with the WOH reservations and customer service this year who have been extremely responsible/helpful
above and beyond with almost any concern or issue raised or inquiry ^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Aug 29, 2017 at 9:38 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Wow, finally someone who finds the Explodist level to be worthwhile

What exactly does it give you in HH and HP, though?

I have at least two if not three ways to get/maintain Hilton Gold (Amex Plat, Amex Surpass, corporate fast track offer). And two ways to get and maintain Marriott Gold and SPG Gold (Amex Plat and UA RewardsPlus).

So mid tier or entry level status with Hyatt isn't exactly worth much to me.
At HH and HP, explorist gives me nothing really, but at HH New Orleans, I did get a room upgrade (even though they are exempt, and that was at Discoverist level).
The main value is those 2 or 3 week-long stays at Hyatt Regencies I have every year where I get club access (and room upgrades, which may be minor at times, but seriously, pre-status, I know what it is like to check into a Hyatt and be given the room with a terrible view for the week).

As for Amex Plat/ Amex Surpass -- I don't have them nor want those cards on top of my other cards, and I don't get corporate fast track anything (I work for a barely-state-supported-university), and UA rewards does me no good when I fly AA out of simple convenience of it serving my tiny airport. Everybody's valuation is different -- I for one find Hyatt's small footprint a near total non-issue (there are exactly 3 nights this year that I have to stay elsewhere), but I can understand that for others, that is a non-starter.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
So your 10 additional paid nights over above this mythical 25/25 beast builds a soap box from which you're preaching?

Forgive me for being skeptical but where do these magical and mythical beasts roam? If so many 25/25s were bellyaching then you can surely give a list of their IDs.

I'll be here waiting.
Before I step down from my soap box, ---Yes, I think 10 additional paid nights should mean more in regards to rewards programs. I for one see nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, wrong or bad about discontinuing status-earnings based on 'stays'.

As for the 25 stay diamonds - there are loads of them! I don't know necessarily their number of nights in each case (most don't say), but many of them make clear mention of 1-day and 2-day stays (and mattress running) in their protests. I apologize, but I won't do the forensics.

That being said, I would prefer for programs to be stable and straight-up about status and tier levels, and too many promos (like corporate fast tracks and even this offer) I think does violate a basic decency that hotels shouldn't be giving special rules for this group or that group.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.