FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:12 pm
iflyjetz

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I was waiting for this moment when you Hyatt defectors would be able to find a way to come crawling back to reach their Globalist status within plenty of time to reap the rewards that were taken from you by the WoH changes earlier this year.

Is this a safety net, or an ego pusher offering you the status you so covet but thought was now out of your reach? You can do it. get the card, put in the 20 nights, its attainable once again. Imagine another year of top tier treatment from the hotel program that you swore you would never again give another dollar to over your dead body.

You have spent this year drawing down your point balance, telling Hyatt and anyone that would listen how this is it, once your points and Glob status are gone after this year, you are finished, fini, finito!

Now, there is a glimmer of hope. You see daylight on the horizon to once again achieve an elite level that you truly deserve. You can put the past changes of WoH behind you and look forward once again. You even go so far as to consider being called Globalist to your face and not wincing. Well, lets not go that far. You'll get out your check book for 3 more months, rearrange your plans, and make it happen. You know you will....and then all will be right with WoH again. Welcome home 25 stays per year friends, where have you been?
LOLZ! I was waiting for your response. You're always amusing.

Crawling back? Hardly; I stated when World of Hilarity was launched that I'd be back when Hyatt gave me an 'in'. And frankly, I wouldn't even take up this offer if not for a 3 week vacation in Oct. Sure, I'm even rearranging destinations in order to book Hyatts (Egypt will be there after I've burned all of my Hyatt points but there won't be any Hyatts where I want to go in Egypt this year or any time in the foreseeable future). I found the new Baha Mar's offering a week for <$200/night, allowing me to use one of my 4 remaining TSUs. Not even worth burning points there since it's 10Kpts+$125/night. I'll find another destination or two for the rest of the time - I've got >200K points left to burn and a Baha Mar stay isn't going to burn any.

Safety net/ego pusher? No; if I wanted an ego pusher, I'd renew my Fairmont Platinum status next year - that's more prestigious than glob status. But frankly, the value's not there for me at Fairmonts. After all, I can 'scam' all of the perks off of Hyatt that I want - a good free breakfast and lots of suite upgrades at checkin. That works for me; I chase perks and value, not status.

Where have I been? Getting Fairmont Platinum and sampling other programs (Hilton, Intercontinental, Accor). I have Starriott LT Plat but I mainly use that as a backup. This year was mostly devoted to Fairmont but I'll let my Plat lapse; just a couple more free Fairmont nights to burn in 2018. My experiences with Intercontinentals (better value to me) this year moved them up my list considerably and I'll likely move there once I've burned my hoard of Hyatt points. It'll take close to 2 years to burn the rest of my Hyatt points, especially with the brand explorer + credit card free nights thrown in.

It's so nice to know that you and I will share the same status at Hyatts for another year (maybe longer). Hey, maybe we'll stay at the same hotel sometime! And we can swap stories. Who knows, if I check in before you and snag the last suite, I'll let you know all about the room layout. Or just pay the extra $20 in advance and get something better than an entry suite. ^

Originally Posted by nhwiki
WOH has been very eye opening for us, as we've found some really nice non-Hyatt properties in places where we've always stayed at sub-par or too expensive Hyatts, mostly because of GP. Now, we may pay for breakfast at times, but really, most of the time hotel breakfasts are over rated and too expensive, whereas we've found fantastic breakfast places all over the US and Europe.
Get the IHG credit card and try a few Intercontinentals. The annual fee is $49 and gives you Plat status and one free night at any IHG property. We've stayed at some great Intercontinentals on free nights - our opinion is that their product is better than most Fairmonts and full serve Hilton, Starriott, and Hyatt brands. And their prices are usually lower than the other chains. No breakfast, but as you stated, one can find breakfast outside of the hotel. This year, we found that the best overall value for us is Intercontinentals.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
To the second: A bit vindictive. But it is clearly a sore spot with those who thought themselves above us lowly 25 stay/45 night plebes.
I'd go with petty over vindictive, but I suppose either would be correct.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Aug 29, 2017 at 9:21 pm