Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JackE
Wait no more!
Alas, I continue to wait for you to compare the stock prices over the past three months.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Do you mind if I provide them?

Over three months the price has gone from $57.63 to, umm, $58.10. A year ago it was $54.15.

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Alas, I continue to wait for you to compare the stock prices over the past three months.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Keep waiting. Why would I let you cherry pick dates? I used a standard one-year time period. When you complained that that preceded WoH I then provided them over the full lifetime of WoH.

Now you want to pick an arbitrary time period. Given the comparatively dismal performance of Hyatt, there's a lot more cherry picked dates that show what a failure WoH is. Over the last year, Marriott has mostly had a steady climb while Hyatt has been volatile and hasn't done all that great in a sector that has done quite nicely.

I bought some Marriott stock after WoH was announced and I'm glad I did.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by danger
Over three months the price has gone from $57.63 to, umm, $58.10. A year ago it was $54.15.
Over the last year, Marriott has mostly had a steady climb while Hyatt has been volatile and hasn't done all that great in a sector that has done quite nicely.
Yep. Over the past year, Hyatt has traded within a pretty narrow band (48-60), with a fair amount of volatility, and is up approximately 8.6 % YoY.

Marriott's trend has been consistently upwards, and it's up more than 40% YoY.

Not sure how this can be argued as evidence that WoH is a great success.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danger
Do you mind if I provide them?

Over three months the price has gone from $57.63 to, umm, $58.10.
Our discussion was a comparison with Marriott. Would you mind providing that as well?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep waiting. Why would I let you cherry pick dates?
Says the person who cherry picked his dates.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1k Hyatt Globalist
I stay more in hyatt compared the old loyal system and they do give more incentive t stay more. I think WOH is success.
hailstorm and PortlySpartacus like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dsquared37
If you don't know the numbers, pray tell how you know, 'there are loads of them'??

Um, no.

For you perhaps but that doesn't mean it is for all, most or even many. From everything you've posted thus far it is clear that you are firm in belief that only your stay pattern is appropriate while others are simply gaming the system.

The only losers seem to be those who fancy themselves holier than thou.
The 2-4 nights per stay business travelers aren't exactly a very rare animal. There are lots of such business travelers, but most of those aren't doing it even 20+ times a year.

2-4 nights/stay done 25+ times a year? Those are a very small proportion of business travelers doing 2-4 nights per business travel stay, but there are also a lot of those. We are talking about a rather large population, so even very small proportions of the population mean material numbers and material revenue.

Is checking out a comparative three-month stock price performance meaningful to the success/failure of the GP-to-WOH transition? Not really.

I'm pretty sure GP-to-WOH is neither a big failure nor a big flop for Hyatt at this point -- the market for lodging services is frothy enough to mask some faults -- but I have almost no doubt that GP-to-WOH flopped enough that Hyatt had to do this kind of "fix" effort.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I Would rather see real-hard changes to the program to be more fair and equittable (for example, allowing full points night to count, because people like me will pt+cash to get the qualified nights even though doing so isn't benefit Hyatt any more likely than if I did pt only stays instead).
I would also like a more equitable scenario. Aside from points nights counting I'm sure you could agree that people spending OPM shouldn't reap benefits. After all, the money I direct out of my pocket should count more.

The bottom line is these changes to WOH weren't keeping enough elites in the system.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The 2-4 nights per stay business travelers aren't exactly a very rare animal.
The rare animal is the notion of 25stay/25night runners that MarkOK has decided were gaming the system unfairly in large numbers.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Says the person who cherry picked his dates.

In fact I picked two periods:

1. Standard year-over-year and

2. Over the lifetime of World of Hurt

Had I cherry picked the dates I could have easily picked a range that would have made Hyatt even far, far worse in comparison.

Funny how you don't have a problem with an arbitrary 3-month period. Why is that?

And even over that 3-month period, Hyatt STILL comes up short. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
So far this year pretty good. I'm speaking in terms of the complimentary suite upgrades that so many of the WoH haters want banned in the T's & C's because they consider the language fraudulent. I've been upgraded more times this year than in previous years. In reviewing the thread on the suite upgrade subject my interpretation is its a net positive to Globs this year. So from that stand point, thin away and my suite awaits me. Glorious!
Thinning of the crowd involves 2018, not 2017, since all Diamonds qualified for Glob-u-lost.

How much thinning are you NOW forecasting with Hyatt requiring FEWER nights, not more?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I would also like a more equitable scenario. Aside from points nights counting I'm sure you could agree that people spending OPM shouldn't reap benefits. After all, the money I direct out of my pocket should count more.

The bottom line is these changes to WOH weren't keeping enough elites in the system.

The rare animal is the notion of 25stay/25night runners that MarkOK has decided were gaming the system unfairly in large numbers.
Erecting quasi-fictional, very rare, and generally unrepresentative characters to knock down is the order of the day when it comes to trying to justify whatever activity someone wants to try to justify.

The 25 one-night stay "gaming the system" types were just a scapegoat used in the narratives of those inclined to defend customer-unfriendly corporate activity by their favorites.

Hyatt's liberalization of Globalist qualification/retention shows that Hyatt really has little to nothing to lose from courting even those quasi-fictional, very rare, and generally unrepresentative characters that get scapegoated by those defending any or every customer-unfriendly action that a person may fancy.
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In fact I picked two periods:

1. Standard year-over-year and

2. Over the lifetime of World of Hurt
And I picked two:

1. Three month chart (Hyatt up 1%, Marriott down 6%)
2. One month chart (Hyatt up 4.8%, Marriott down 3%)

Your data shows a wounded Marriott living off its past laurels, while mine shows an energised Hyatt picking up steam.

I don't care what Marriott did last year. I care what Hyatt has done this year to leave their competition in the dust.

And the fact that they're going to pack on a bunch more stays throughout 2017 with this promotion shows me that they're going to outperform Marriott further still. Not in the past, but in the future, where it matters.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

And the fact that they're going to pack on a bunch more stays throughout 2017 with this promotion shows me that they're going to outperform Marriott further still. Not in the past, but in the future, where it matters.
You are just as capable of making that prediction as many others are able to claim this is an end of year realization that the mid and high elite numbers have failed to materialized as predicted.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I have written to WOH Concierge. will report back if there is anything to be shared.
I wrote too. I added a note though, that replying would probably only make me angrier, so better that they just listen...consider...especially before sending these offers to people who already have 67 nights "in the bag" and 53 more already reserved. Man, that's just not thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.