Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:21 am

2015: SPG Plat with challenge, Hyatt Diamond with challenge
2016: SPG Plat with 25 stays, Hyatt Diamond with 58 nights
2017 YTD: SPG Plat with 99 nights, Hyatt Globalist with 8 nights.

Every time this kind of thing pops up, Hyatt just keeps on reassuring me that I made the right choice of program this year. I would be so angry if I had gone the other way.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Well, if anyone wanted confirmation that the WoH is causing Hyatt to lose lots of money, this is it.
Maybe that's the perception in FT Wonderland but doesn't appear to be the case looking at their financials.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Maybe that's the perception in FT Wonderland but doesn't appear to be the case looking at their financials.
That may be the perception in a corner of FT wonderland -- the same wonderland that is the real world -- but one thing is for sure: Hyatt chose to do this because in the absence of this chance they don't see themselves making all the money they want to make.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Lose lots of money? Not so sure about that. It could be more about trying to make even more money at a time of high room occupancy levels and preparing for a downturn of sorts.
Also seems to be forgetting that they offered far easier and more generous avenues to top tier status than this over the past decade.
dngrmys likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Also seems to be forgetting that they offered far easier and more generous avenues to top tier status than this over the past decade.
Not so sure about that forgetting part. Discussions on FT about Hyatt status matching gone wild and fast track/instant-status qualification/re-qualification has been a lively topic in this corner of FT wonderland.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Actually, I was told by an employee who was well aware of the dissatisfaction out there from current Globs.

Their financials currently include all those who were burning their benefits and then getting out. I suspect the summer has not been all that kind to them.

They wouldn't be doing this sort of a giveaway if they didn't have to.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Pretty annoying that I'm sitting on 55 nights at Hyatt this year with 70+ at SPG. Waiting to break 60 in December so the TSUs will last through 2018.

I guess there aren't that many people that will take advantage of this offer so hopefully not too much dilution. Still a big thumbs down and hope for a legit promo this fall if WOH wants any more of my business this year.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:55 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Very frustrating, WOH giving away Elephant status.
even more frustrating, that as a non-US resident, I can't even apply for the card (I would if could).

why am I going the hard way to reach 60 nights - currently at 40.... 58 of them will all be on leisure, self-paid...

I sure hope WOH comes up with a remedy for those who truly earn the Elephant. maybe extend membership until 2021 or so...?

WOH: come up with some solution that is fair.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:58 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Very frustrating, WOH giving away Elephant status.
even more frustrating, that as a non-US resident, I can't even apply for the card (I would if could).

why am I going the hard way to reach 60 nights - 58 of them are all on leisure, self-paid...

I sure hope WOH comes up with a remedy for those who truly earn the Elephant. maybe extend membership until 2021 or so...?

WOH: come up with some solution that is fair.
Write and tell them your view. We need to encourage them to sort this out for non-US members.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Maybe I'm naive, but will this make that much of a difference in real Globalist numbers? How many people have the Hyatt Card *and* will do 20 nights in the next 4 months *and* weren't already on track to re-upping Globalist can there be? This number has to be a single digit fraction of those granted insta-status on twitter last year.
Well, I just caught onto this thread, and I am one of these people you speak of.

I have only 16 nights so far this year. I already have 16 more nights booked between now and December 30, making qualification for Explorist, which I am happy with status-wise. But, this offer means I only need 4 more nights to try out a globalist status for year -- That is easy enough to do (I've been meaning to find an excuse to have a leisure trip this upcoming weekend which will get me three nights, and I can think of a few small trips this fall that aren't yet set in stone/booked). I never got the offer in my inbox, but I was able to sign up on the link provided way above on page 1.

Though, I benefit from whatever marginal increase Globalist status will get me next year, Generally, I agree with the belly-achers here. I like programs to set rules and stick to them and not throw promotions here and there. Next year, should I book my discretionary travel later in the year hoping for another promotion like this? I hate the gamemanship this creates (for the same reason, I stopped shopping at Kohls a couple of years ago because between the random but pervasive coupons, Kohl's cash, and other BS, it was waaaay too much work figuring out the game to me and I felt like I was being jipped if I didn't play).
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Agreed. If they do it will be limited amounts and for limited time.
Until the next silver spoon comes along and they do it all over again.

Well the question is:

A) How many Hyatt cardholders have a desire to become Globalist.

B) How many Hyatt cardholders have 20 cash / c&p nights lined up in a Hyatt before EOY.

C) How many Hyatt cardholders, who are primarily leisure travelers, can (justify) afford to mattress run 20 nights simply to have Globalist status for ~15 months.

D) Of those who earn Globalist via this offer, how many of them will interfere with the travels of pre-existing Globalists.

If you analysis the details, and leave emotions aside, it's more or less a moot point.
I think one of the key points is, as others have mentioned, Hyatt told 25 stayers to go jump but now they've sent a stretch Hummer for those who only need to do 20.

Originally Posted by Ausriver
I signed up and now being really worried about how to get 20 nights perfectly in 3 month period.

I don't know why so many people get so upset about the it. If someone can have 20 nights in 3 months with ease, it will not be that hard for them to have 60 nights in a year. And for someone needs to push to 20 nights (like me), we will have to pay extra for some non-essential nights and that's the price we paid for globalist lite.
Sixty nights in a year are going to cost you a lot more than 20. It's effectively 20 nights in 12 months, not four, as a member can enter this game with zero stays to date.

Originally Posted by Markie
Write and tell them your view. We need to encourage them to sort this out for non-US members.
Is there somewhere on the Hyatt website where all the properties worldwide are listed? I'd like some up to date figures on their footprint. I have read on FlyerTalk things like more than 50% of their properties are limited service and, around the time the change was announced, that Hyatt had less properties in most of Asia than Marriott and SPG had in Indonesia.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:26 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
I mean obviously the herd won't be thinned quite as much as without this offer. However...

Maybe I'm naive, but will this make that much of a difference in real Globalist numbers? How many people have the Hyatt Card *and* will do 20 nights in the next 4 months *and* weren't already on track to re-upping Globalist can there be? This number has to be a single digit fraction of those granted insta-status on twitter last year.

I'd think the corporate fast track has had far more impact on numbers than this will.
+1
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ericcheung
How exactly does a hotel decide which globalist gets the suite upgrade?
Same way properties have always decided how to allocate rooms.

A combination of carefully rewarding better customers versus completely random luck of the draw.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Well, if anyone wanted confirmation that the WoH is causing Hyatt to lose lots of money, this is it.
Maybe. I would think this reflects more on a lackluster performance on the Chase Card than Hyatt itself. Otherwise, why not make the promotion available to all? I don't think anyone is exactly in love with the CC, and what this is doing is giving a reason for a few people to look at paying another 75$ annual fee.

Last edited by MarkOK; Aug 29, 2017 at 8:49 am
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:48 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by danger
Is there somewhere on the Hyatt website where all the properties worldwide are listed? I'd like some up to date figures on their footprint. I have read on FlyerTalk things like more than 50% of their properties are limited service and, around the time the change was announced, that Hyatt had less properties in most of Asia than Marriott and SPG had in Indonesia.
I wrote this last November: (note that this has changed because of openings like PH Bangkok).

There are 27 Hyatts in all of Europe. (Not counting former Soviet Union).

There are 18 Hyatts in all of SE Asia. That's less than two thirds of what SPG has in Thailand alone (28). The combined SPG/Marriott will have more properties in Bali (22) than Hyatt has in all of SE Asia.

Worldwide, there are 16 Andaz, 49 Grand Hyatts, and 40 Park Hyatts. Throw in a few of the better Regencies, generic Hyatts, and Unbound properties, and call it 150 properties one might want to stay at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.