Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:58 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Hmm, what's the basis for the understanding that Globalist earned from the CC promo will not get DSUs?

Do Globalists who requalify with 55 nights also not get DSUs, if DSUs are awarded only upon staying 60 nights?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
what's the basis for the understanding that Globalist earned from the CC promo will not get DSUs?
People are making that assumption based on the WoH T&C which expressly say you only get TSU after 60 nights. The promo T&C are silent on the point.

]Do Globalists who requalify with 55 nights also not get DSUs, if DSUs are awarded only upon staying 60 nights?
You have to stay 60 nights.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Everything about WoH, as clearly evidenced by this promo, seems to favor US members and blatantly discriminate against non-US members.
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ericcheung
How exactly does a hotel decide which globalist gets the suite upgrade? This is probably the change that will annoy most of the 60 night globalists the most. If there is a clear rank (points/spend for last year/rolling 12 months or number of nights stayed) then this shouldn't annoy most.
As one of them, this is exactly the issue to me. Hyatt's IT appears to be horrible. I have no confidence that they provide this level of prioritization detail to every hotel, every day.

But if I'm wrong, and they do -- and the hotels follow it -- this Globalist-light giveaway will have little tangible impact on those of us in the 60-night group.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Markie
Write and tell them your view. We need to encourage them to sort this out for non-US members.
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I won't be pursuing this, but the terms in the email raised a question in my mind about check-out.

The promotion is valid only for Hyatt Credit Cardmembers in good standing who receive this promotional offer from Hyatt and register for the promotion between August 28, 2017 and September 30, 2017. To qualify for this offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. A Hyatt Credit Cardmember may earn Explorist or Globalist status in the World of Hyatt program through February 2019 by completing a specified number of Tier-Qualifying Nights (as defined in the World of Hyatt program terms, available at worldofhyatt.com/terms.) at any participating Hyatt hotel or resort worldwide. Only stays completed between September 1, 2017 and December 30, 2017 (“Qualification Period”) will be eligible for this promotion. To qualify for Globalist status, member must complete twenty (20) Tier-Qualifying Nights during the Qualification Period. To qualify for Explorist status, member must complete ten (10) Tier-Qualifying Nights during the Qualification Period. To earn credit towards this offer, member must check out of a reservation during the Qualification Period. If member checks into a reservation during the Qualification Period, but does not check out until after the Qualification Period has ended, (s)he will not earn credit towards this offer for any nights stayed as part of that reservation. Stays completed by member prior to the start of the Qualification Period will not count towards this offer (even if any night stayed otherwise qualifies as a “Tier-Qualifying Night” for purposes of the World of Hyatt program.)
It appears that a stay that ends on September 1 is eligible, and that stay would necessarily involve a check-in before the start of the period from September 1 to December 30. In the extreme case, someone who checked in on or before August 12 would appear to meet the conditions upon check-out on September 1.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Hmm, what's the basis for the understanding that Globalist earned from the CC promo will not get DSUs?

Do Globalists who requalify with 55 nights also not get DSUs, if DSUs are awarded only upon staying 60 nights?
Hyatt in their infinite wisdom have disconnected the four confirmed suite upgrades from acquiring the top tier status. See the "More ways to be rewarded" section:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...=woh_globalist

This has been discussed here in various threads, but I wonder how many long time Diamonds outside of FT will fall into this trap.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Hyatt in their infinite wisdom have disconnected the four confirmed suite upgrades from acquiring the top tier status. See the "More ways to be rewarded" section:

This has been discussed here in various threads, but I wonder how many long time Diamonds outside of FT will fall into this trap.
It's actually good for these who make the 60 nights. I don't see why they have to give them out all 4 at a time. Would be nice if it's divvied out one at a time somehow.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Did the goldpassport diamonds used to get suite upgrades outside of the promised 4? All I have found is 'best room available' in the old terms, but I don't know what that translated to.

Regarding the bellyaching about true 60 night globalists 'competing' with the promo-globalist for suite upgrades, -- if the 60-night globalist get 4 confirmed upgrades (and that cat1-7 award) and promo-globs don't, then I just don't feel all that much sympathy. In other words, true globs can still use their upgrades on four trips of their choice (which I am guessing would be longer term leisure trips where the upgrades have the most value) and this promo won't make that any harder for them to do, nor is it giving away confirmed suite availability to anyone else (in other words, because of this promo, I as a promo-glob won't be able to block a suite next year for a 4-week long stays and ~20 nights or so with confirmed upgrade awards). And the people like me that going to benefit from this promo aren't going to be staying 50 times next year to compete for best room availability (and if we did, they we'd be on our way to true globalist anyways).

I am going to schedule 4 more nights than originally planned this fall so that I can get to Globalist under this, and the reasons don't have anything to do with suite upgrade awards, or even in hopes of getting best-room available suite upgrades. Granted, I do hope for some upgrade here and there, getting decent views is something I already value with explorist status. But the main reasons are (in order) 1. Free resort fees - a trip planned in January at HR grand cypress for 6 nights will save me $202 in resort fees alone, and I will likely go to some sort of other resort-fee Hyatt in the summer for at least a week (maybe two) which may mean another $200-$400 in savings. and 2. Club lounge access without having to try to use my Explorists 4-awards which isn't any sort of guarantee to work when I want to use them. 3. I want to try out the United club passes. I've been debating on whether I want to 'splurge' on the luxury of airline lounge access and this may help my decisions for no risk.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Markie
Write and tell them your view. We need to encourage them to sort this out for non-US members.
So I did exactly that after the corporate status match this spring.TheIr message back was essentially "sorry you don't like it, tough sh!t though." Shocking to me that they don't try to address such concerns by reassuring that they will continue to provide the best care to loyal customers, but there was absolutely nothing like that.

If they had thought this out then (continuing another thought frm this thread) they would have changed the priority for upgrades based on number of stays, or something along those lines. But they are not even trying to save their diamonds that stayed...
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
This video says it all:

I'm a 25 annual stay Diamond (well, 20 plus 5 credit card stays) who was abandoned by Hyatt with World of Hilarity. I went from charging >$20K/yr (to get the 5 stay credit) to putting the Hyatt credit card in my sock drawer.
I moved over to Fairmont and got status with them but they don't do free breakfast. Between that and their small footprint, I don't plan on staying much with Fairmont next year.
For my Hyatt stays this year, I was in point burn mode. Not one single night was booked at the cash rate. It was either C+P, Award, or Free Nights. I've got 8 (C+P) nights' credit (4 different brands so I'm one short of another free night) and a bunch of Award and Free nights (I burned a ton of points).

I registered for this promo and now I've only got to do 20 nights @ Hyatts in 4 months. I have 3 weeks' vacation in October so I'll have no problem hitting the 20 nights. Plus our Vegas Thanksgiving will now be at the Bellagio instead of Caesars.

As for the 4 TSUs I won't be getting, LOLZ! I've still got 4 unused TSUs in my account in spite of getting more suite upgrades this year at Hyatts than any previous year while burning DSUs. I've actually been impressed with how often I've been able to get a suite.
TSUs? I don't need no stinkin' TSUs.

The big thing for me in keeping Globalist is the breakfast. Hyatts have the best elite comped breakfast at US properties of any hotel chain that I've used (Fairmont, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood). The breakfasts alone make it reasonable for me to consider a mattress run if necessary (it won't be).

It looks like this change to World of Hilarity has been very good to me after all - I've burned a ton of points in 2017 and can now burn a ton more points in 2018 as a glob. Winning!

To PortlySpartacus and the rest of the 'true Globs' who threw a ton of shade on us unworthy 25 stay Diamonds, it looks like I'll still be taking space in your lounges and stealing some of your suite upgrades at checkin for at least another year. ^

I feel:
JackE likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I'm not sure how many people will sign up for this. Hyatt announced the WOH changes last year, and that included not earning the stays/nights towards status. The Hyatt CC earns 3x at Hyatt stays, but the CSR earns 3x UR that could be transferred to Hyatt. Why would anyone use the Hyatt CC? If the Hyatt annual fee came due between the WOH announcement and now, how many people kept the card?

I cancelled mine. I'm not going apply for another CC just for this promo. If the credit card earned nights towards status, then I would've evaluated it differently and possibly kept it.

I wonder how many people kept the card. The only reasons I can see are the annual free night and the 10% point return on redemptions. This promo could be more about the credit card numbers instead of the WOH numbers?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
I'm not sure how many people will sign up for this. Hyatt announced the WOH changes last year, and that included not earning the stays/nights towards status. The Hyatt CC earns 3x at Hyatt stays, but the CSR earns 3x UR that could be transferred to Hyatt. Why would anyone use the Hyatt CC? If the Hyatt annual fee came due between the WOH announcement and now, how many people kept the card?

I cancelled mine. I'm not going apply for another CC just for this promo. If the credit card earned nights towards status, then I would've evaluated it differently and possibly kept it.

I wonder how many people kept the card. The only reasons I can see are the annual free night and the 10% point return on redemptions. This promo could be more about the credit card numbers instead of the WOH numbers?
I kept the card for the free night and Discoverist status so I could match with MLife for free parking. However, it's been pointed out that the MLife (circular loop) match would keep me at Explorist/MLife Gold forever.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people reapplied for the card due to this promotion.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They did leave a nice month-long signup period that implies that they are looking for new cardholders.

I wonder if Hyatt had to do this to fulfill contractual obligations or targets to Chase.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave

The annual free night alone (assuming one has use for it) is worth the fee. There's no forced use of the card, take the free night (for those that use it) and be happy. That's my story. Oh, and it's nice to have a third logo-ed (Visa, MC, Amex) no 2% int'l fee card as a backup card for int'l travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.