Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Using 2Q2015 vs 2Q2016, you're correct. Total revenues for H increased from $1.112B to $1.165B. That's a 4.7% increase for nearly doubling the number of Diamonds.
However, what percentage of Hyatt's revenue comes from old Diamonds or old and new Diamonds? Given that status matches were given to almost anyone who asked and this fact was widely publicized in the Internet, I suspect that the newly matched Diaminds are not nearly as profitable on average as the old Diamonds are.

Maybe the matching followed to program changes to WOH was designed to replace some old Diamonds with some new Diamonds, hopefully in a way that those who leave are less profitable on average than the retained new Diamonds. In a sense, the genius of frequent customer programs is that they can be finely tuned to attract the right group of customers while driving away some unwanted customers. Big data enables the analytics to do this extremely well.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, what percentage of Hyatt's revenue comes from old Diamonds or old and new Diamonds? Given that status matches were given to almost anyone who asked and this fact was widely publicized in the Internet, I suspect that the newly matched Diaminds are not nearly as profitable on average as the old Diamonds are.

Maybe the matching followed to program changes to WOH was designed to replace some old Diamonds with some new Diamonds, hopefully in a way that those who leave are less profitable on average than the retained new Diamonds. In a sense, the genius of frequent customer programs is that they can be finely tuned to attract the right group of customers while driving away some unwanted customers. Big data enables the analytics to do this extremely well.
What is the advantage of driving away less profitable customers? A less profitable customer is still a profitable customer. And if the customer is less profitable because he or she consumes half as much as a more profitable one, so what? They only consume half the resources.

The only reason for Hyatt to drive away most current Diamonds is they are gambling that a large percentage of them will significantly increase their brand loyalty. And whether that happens is the $64K question.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Anyway, back on track. How many of those ~67,000 Diamonds were aware in 2016? I'd say the 30,000 that were matched were aware and I'd guess that a decently large percentage (much larger percentage than with other hotel loyalty programs) of the other 37,000 Hyatt Diamonds are also aware.
I agree the 30K 'matchers' were aware, probably that's something everyone in here would agree with.

As for your assertion on the remainder I must disagree. I have friends spending enough time in the air and hotels that their families life is bordering on problematic who have no understanding what their airline/hotel status gives them. Twice in early Jan I was told 'Hey, I made UA GS this year, what does that mean?' Be default I've gone in and upgraded them to Int F because they had no clue upgrades were even in their accounts. I've had similar discussions on planes in random conversation. Another friend received a promo from UA last year for an extra 200K miles for $40K spend... he wasn't even aware of the promo because he didn't have time, or the inclination, to look at UA's emails. He also lost out on Marriott and SPG promos.

Granted that is anecdotal at best, but these people are out there - and they travel ALOT.

Of those 37K earned Diamonds there will be a large contingent that are unaware and remain Diamond but there will, not doubt, be a sizable subset who get bounced back to crapo-ist and in March 2018, after Jan/Feb stays where they get breakfast, all of a sudden don't get breakfast (or lounge) and it's going to hurt Hyatt in the long run. If there's any company wide push to mollify annoyed ex-Diamonds it will only come spring 2018.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by JackE
What is the advantage of driving away less profitable customers? A less profitable customer is still a profitable customer. And if the customer is less profitable because he or she consumes half as much as a more profitable one, so what? They only consume half the resources.
Maybe they believe they can replace them with more profitable Kayakers.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:40 am

using club lounge certificates from explorist status

My brother and I are staying at a Hyatt in Hong Kong this summer using my brother's 2 free nights from his Hyatt credit card. He has no meaningful Hyatt status.

I will drop down from Diamond to Explorist soon. I would like to use one of my 4 Explorist club lounge gift certificates at that time. Any idea if i will be able to use the club lounge certificate from my account, if we reserved the room using free night certificates from his account?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by longleaf
My brother and I are staying at a Hyatt in Hong Kong this summer using my brother's 2 free nights from his Hyatt credit card. He has no meaningful Hyatt status.

I will drop down from Diamond to Explorist soon. I would like to use one of my 4 Explorist club lounge gift certificates at that time. Any idea if i will be able to use the club lounge certificate from my account, if we reserved the room using free night certificates from his account?
I think not, I am afraid. The web site says (bolding mine):

Receive 4 Club lounge access awards redeemable at participating Hyatt hotels and resorts at the time of reservation. Enjoy continental breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres daily in a Club lounge. (valid for one year from issuance when paying an eligible rate or when redeeming points for a free night award)
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Off course not.... the booking is not from your account.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by RTW1
Off course not.... the booking is not from your account.
And credit card nights are not upgradeable with those certs, as far as I recall from reading the T&C.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
If someone achieves Diamond status by 02/28/17 by achieving 25 stays in January and February 2017, when does the status expires?

Also, does one get 4 suite grades as a Diamond in 2017 and then again 4 more as a Globalist on 03/1 with an opportunity to earn 4 more in 2017 based on 60 room nights?

Just curious if anyone knows and thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
That status would last you through 2017, 2018 and finally expire in 2019.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
That status would last you through 2017, 2018 and finally expire in 2019.
Now that we are near the end of January, I wonder (after all the discussion about it here) how many actually going for this approach.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Now that we are near the end of January, I wonder (after all the discussion about it here) how many actually going for this approach.
well the board seems to have calmed down a bit.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:43 pm

I am taking a hit for the team and am in the middle of doing it. 15 stays this month and will do between 10 and 14 stays by Feb 28. I will still probably hit 60 to 70 nights this year anyway. I am hoping for a promo starting by Feb 15 but chances are not looking good.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
I am down to 8 stays left. Spent $40K on the Hyatt Card and got 5 stays for that and that certainly helped.

Hopefully can earn the 4 DSU's and try to earn 4 more for 2018 and ride as much as I can on Award stays and save on resort fees and parking!

Also, try to utilize Guest of Honor benefit as we always get 2 rooms for our family.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Already qualified for 2017, 10 to go for 2018

I may make 60 by the end of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.