Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These unaware loyal Hyatt patrons (and I fully agree that they exist in large numbers) will be pretty damned mad when they figure out at some point that the bar for top status has been raised from 50 to 60 and that their CC spend won't help. I do think Hyatt is doing a bit of a disservice in not reminding even Diamonds of this new system.

I get a note on my account updates that says only: "REMINDER: On March 1, 2017, World of Hyatt, your new loyalty program, replaces Hyatt Gold Passport. Remember that all qualifying activity in 20.17 will count towards earning tier status in World of Hyatt so plan your next stay today. Learn more."

And if you click the link in there, you even still don't get the new qualification levels on the first page.

Not sure why they're hiding the ball on these enhancements for us.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I recently stayed at a Marriott and as a Platinum I received bonus points for amenity and more bonus points instead of breakfast. I netted 8K points for a 1 night stay, which I arrived at 11pm and left at 6am. When I entered my room, I had a huge bottle of Perrier, a huge bottle of regular water, Pita Chips, another huge bag of a nut mix, and several granola bars. The next night I checked into a Hyatt as a Diamond, and I got nothing but 1K points. So far I do have 4 nights at Hyatt at thankfully for the Marriott Credit card, I have 21 nights. I love Hyatt, but I'll rack up as many points and I'll see how March goes. If I don't get the same treatment that I now get at 50% of Marriotts, then I will fully commit to Marriott, as they do have more hotels, and I no longer need to drive 30 minutes away just to stay at a Hyatt. It really is sad, as I do love the Hyatt brand.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I recently stayed at a Marriott and as a Platinum I received bonus points for amenity and more bonus points instead of breakfast. I netted 8K points for a 1 night stay, which I arrived at 11pm and left at 6am. When I entered my room, I had a huge bottle of Perrier, a huge bottle of regular water, Pita Chips, another huge bag of a nut mix, and several granola bars. The next night I checked into a Hyatt as a Diamond, and I got nothing but 1K points. So far I do have 4 nights at Hyatt at thankfully for the Marriott Credit card, I have 21 nights. I love Hyatt, but I'll rack up as many points and I'll see how March goes. If I don't get the same treatment that I now get at 50% of Marriotts, then I will fully commit to Marriott, as they do have more hotels, and I no longer need to drive 30 minutes away just to stay at a Hyatt. It really is sad, as I do love the Hyatt brand.
One can't compare "8k points" and "1k points" across programs, one needs to consider how many points are required for comparable rewards.

Of course, all the other items (water, food, etc.) have (some, minimal) consideration...
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
The 60-night bar is awful, let's face it, but ultimately, the last straw, and the thing that's going to kill my participation in WoH in 2018 is the Diamond amenity. They didn't think this one all the way through. I can justify mattress running for promos, for status, for fun, for any reason at all if I know I'm going to be netting those extra points for the amenities, both immediately, and in the future year. Killing the amenity means killing mattress running for me. That's lots of extra money for the 4 Columbus Hyatt properties that they won't be getting from me moving forward.

Example: Let's say (and this is totally realistic), that through my normal patterns, I'll end 2017 with 50 nights. A tall order, but I'm on pace to do it. Last year, if the bar was 60, I'd throw the HR Columbus and the HP Dublin 5 nights each in a heartbeat to hit Diamond. If I spend $1000 to do so, fine. I'd be essentially recompensated with 7500 points for the amenities alone, plus the regular points, so I'd get a bunch of points back, plus the promise of future Diamond amenities for the next year. It just made sense to mattress run.

Now, if I'm 10 nights short, what incentive do I have to blow that extra $1000 on Hyatts? -Maybe- getting suite upgraded? Breakfast? A few bonus points? Ain't nobody got time for that.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by josephstern
These unaware loyal Hyatt patrons (and I fully agree that they exist in large numbers) will be pretty damned mad when they figure out at some point that the bar for top status has been raised from 50 to 60 and that their CC spend won't help. I do think Hyatt is doing a bit of a disservice in not reminding even Diamonds of this new system.
Joseph, this post isn't aimed at you; just quoting it for subtopic reference.

I had a chance to think about this whole 'unaware Diamonds' thing.

I spent some time trying to find out how many Diamonds there are; the best I could find is this 2015 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...aturation.html

The Loyalty Lobby page that Hailstorm referenced isn't there anymore but one can find it by using the Wayback Machine.

Anyway, let's go with the 37,000 Diamond number in 2015. Now, let's remember Hyatt's disastrous status match from late 2016 that minted 30,000 new Diamonds (Hyatt's number) - pretty much doubling the number of Diamonds. WoW! that was a train wreck!

Anyway, back on track. How many of those ~67,000 Diamonds were aware in 2016? I'd say the 30,000 that were matched were aware and I'd guess that a decently large percentage (much larger percentage than with other hotel loyalty programs) of the other 37,000 Hyatt Diamonds are also aware.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canyonleo
One can't compare "8k points" and "1k points" across programs, one needs to consider how many points are required for comparable rewards.

Of course, all the other items (water, food, etc.) have (some, minimal) consideration...
I understand that but since Hyatt will no longer give us the 1K bonus or an amenity, I need to take into consideration that I recieved several thousand more points with Marriott than Hyatt will after the new program starts.

1K points going away will cost me a free night at any Hyatt I choose every year.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by canyonleo

For me, the other items (water, food, club access, suites) are infinitely more important than points/free nights. Points/free nights don't enter into the hotel loyalty program equation for me. YMMV, especially if your stays are on OPM.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
The 60-night bar is awful, let's face it, but ultimately, the last straw, and the thing that's going to kill my participation in WoH in 2018 is the Diamond amenity. They didn't think this one all the way through. I can justify mattress running for promos, for status, for fun, for any reason at all if I know I'm going to be netting those extra points for the amenities, both immediately, and in the future year. Killing the amenity means killing mattress running for me. That's lots of extra money for the 4 Columbus Hyatt properties that they won't be getting from me moving forward.

Example: Let's say (and this is totally realistic), that through my normal patterns, I'll end 2017 with 50 nights. A tall order, but I'm on pace to do it. Last year, if the bar was 60, I'd throw the HR Columbus and the HP Dublin 5 nights each in a heartbeat to hit Diamond. If I spend $1000 to do so, fine. I'd be essentially recompensated with 7500 points for the amenities alone, plus the regular points, so I'd get a bunch of points back, plus the promise of future Diamond amenities for the next year. It just made sense to mattress run.

Now, if I'm 10 nights short, what incentive do I have to blow that extra $1000 on Hyatts? -Maybe- getting suite upgraded? Breakfast? A few bonus points? Ain't nobody got time for that.
Look - a big part of the whole loyalty world is, in part, a way for companies to essentially give value to patrons at the expense of those patrons' employers. It's a kickback for bringing them business.

Hyatt seems to have forgotten this magic in their recalc.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyjetz

I spent some time trying to find out how many Diamonds there are; the best I could find is this 2015 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...aturation.html

The Loyalty Lobby page that Hailstorm referenced isn't there anymore but one can find it by using the Wayback Machine.

Anyway, let's go with the 37,000 Diamond number in 2015. Now, let's remember Hyatt's disastrous status match from late 2016 that minted 30,000 new Diamonds (Hyatt's number) - pretty much doubling the number of Diamonds. WoW! that was a train wreck!

Anyway, back on track. How many of those ~67,000 Diamonds were aware in 2016? I'd say the 30,000 that were matched were aware and I'd guess that a decently large percentage (much larger percentage than with other hotel loyalty programs) of the other 37,000 Hyatt Diamonds are also aware.
Unaware of what? Of the new program with new levels? Or of the loyalty situation in a larger context? Or something else?

From my post, I was specifically referring to the new nights requirements, but I'm thinking you mean something else, no?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador

I think it would be a fair statement that many many of those "status" match Diamonds are one off and the percentage of those seeking to qualify this year will be low. Most were just hackers and those hackers tend to muddle things for people that are seriously traveling for business seeking the best options for them.

As I have said I have decided to stay the course with Hyatt even though I HATE the name "Globalist" and continue to voice my opinion to Hyatt whenever the opportunity lends itself.

CK SiX
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Unaware of what? Of the new program with new levels? Or of the loyalty situation in a larger context? Or something else?

From my post, I was specifically referring to the new nights requirements, but I'm thinking you mean something else, no?
I think almost all of the 30K status matched Diamonds and many of the 37K 'legacy' Diamonds know most of the details on the new program, including number of nights required to qualify for each level.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I think it would be a fair statement that many many of those "status" match Diamonds are one off and the percentage of those seeking to qualify this year will be low. Most were just hackers and those hackers tend to muddle things for people that are seriously traveling for business seeking the best options for them.

As I have said I have decided to stay the course with Hyatt even though I HATE the name "Globalist" and continue to voice my opinion to Hyatt whenever the opportunity lends itself.

CK SiX
Using 2Q2015 vs 2Q2016, you're correct. Total revenues for H increased from $1.112B to $1.165B. That's a 4.7% increase for nearly doubling the number of Diamonds.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Using 2Q2015 vs 2Q2016, you're correct. Total revenues for H increased from $1.112B to $1.165B. That's a 4.7% increase for nearly doubling the number of Diamonds.
well let's see what happens after 2nd quarter.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
well let's see what happens after 2nd quarter.
What metric do you feel would best reflect this? Total revenue, RevPAR, ADR, Occupancy rate, other?

It all gets a bit squishy with acquisitions, portfolio expansion, owned/leased/franchised/managed, disgruntled members in point burning mode, etc. There are always different ways to spin the same numbers.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The US stock market has been in record high territory and US employment data has been strong in 2015 and so far in 2016. Given Hyatt more or less goes the way the US goes, the impact of the upcoming Hyatt devaluation will be masked for quite some time and then some.
Just compare H with MAR and other stocks in that space. H could be lifted by a rising tide but fall short of its competitors. I haven't tracked it's relative movement, but I did buy some MAR since the World of Hurt announcement and have made a little money. Certainly enough to buy my own damn bottles of water. That said, I'm at a Luxury Collection property tonight and no damn bottle of water. (And I was originally booked at a nearby Hyatt, btw.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.