Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:15 pm

=====

Last edited by beltway; Apr 22, 2024 at 9:14 am Reason: Joel
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:02 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
See post 3155 above for a first-order approximation of the states involved.
Unfortunately, the list in the old SPG post is very incomplete. CO and TX can be added, for example, as jurisdictions where points cannot be given for alcohol purchases.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:04 pm
FT

AZ is nowhere to be found in that thread, just what the title states: CA, HI, MA, and OR
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Definitely incomplete. Lots missing, like AP, AS, BR, WA, Qld, GJ, NSW ...
​​​
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:25 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by danger
Definitely incomplete. Lots missing, like AP, AS, BR, WA, Qld, GJ, NSW ...
​​​
As others have said, it's probably safer to assume alcohol charges are never going to count as qualifying, regardless of where one is in the world.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:29 pm
FT

Can Hyatt define the definition of an alcoholic charge? There's too much ambiguity.

A round of drinks at the bar, sounds about right.
What about a round of drinks and a pizza... does the food have to be 50% or greater of the charge to ring it up as food.
How about a mixed order of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks?

My food charge was a beer, a Sprite, and a Shirley Temple. I could have ordered a Shandy (beer+Sprite) and the ST and it might have been rung up as an alcoholic charge although both orders result in the same drinks.

I'm only getting in the weeds due to an upcoming week long stay and want to, if at all possible, maximize base point earnings.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FT
Can Hyatt define the definition of an alcoholic charge? There's too much ambiguity.

A round of drinks at the bar, sounds about right.
What about a round of drinks and a pizza... does the food have to be 50% or greater of the charge to ring it up as food.
How about a mixed order of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks?

My food charge was a beer, a Sprite, and a Shirley Temple. I could have ordered a Shandy (beer+Sprite) and the ST and it might have been rung up as an alcoholic charge although both orders result in the same drinks.

I'm only getting in the weeds due to an upcoming week long stay and want to, if at all possible, maximize base point earnings.
Most places either charge it all as food (if it’s a restaurant) or when you get your check you’ll see it split out by food and alcohol. It’s not necessarily an all or nothing situation.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:48 pm
FT

Yep, that's the point... it's too subjective to simply assume all alcoholic purchases don't count toward base points since some hotels charge it as one charge and others split between food and beverage. I don't recall which thread (this one of the SPG one) someone mentioned spending $1,000 on drinks during a girls trip. Maybe there's a way with some minor tweaking to have gotten that to count as qualifying spend. As mentioned, I'm only caring about this due to an upcoming trip where I foresee food, non-alcoholic, and alcoholic beverages adding up to something meaningful enough for me to care about counting it as qualifying spend.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FT
Yep, that's the point... it's too subjective to simply assume all alcoholic purchases don't count toward base points since some hotels charge it as one charge and others split between food and beverage. I don't recall which thread (this one of the SPG one) someone mentioned spending $1,000 on drinks during a girls trip. Maybe there's a way with some minor tweaking to have gotten that to count as qualifying spend. As mentioned, I'm only caring about this due to an upcoming trip where I foresee food, non-alcoholic, and alcoholic beverages adding up to something meaningful enough for me to care about counting it as qualifying spend.
Just email your concierge / the property and ask them.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
My wife has two cat 1-4 free night certs. I'm a globalist. There is no way for me to make a guest of honor booking for her using her 2 FNCs correct?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bta15
My wife has two cat 1-4 free night certs. I'm a globalist. There is no way for me to make a guest of honor booking for her using her 2 FNCs correct?
Best solution have her gift them to you.

https://frequentmiler.com/bet-you-di...-someone-else/
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I'm wondering if I might be pointed to the ins and outs of using Globalist to the most benefit. I will have "accidently" acquired that status (no mileage running type activity or shopping around) and would like to learn how to use the next 18 months or so. Thank you
Ariana4GD likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Regarding the "Premium" internet benefit offered to Discoverists and above, will the hotel waive the charge? Anybody have experience with this?

At my last stay, I first noticed when connecting to the hotel wifi that there were two internet options. I stuck with the free option as I wasn't sure if it was waived for me (Explorist).
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I'm wondering if I might be pointed to the ins and outs of using Globalist to the most benefit. I will have "accidently" acquired that status (no mileage running type activity or shopping around) and would like to learn how to use the next 18 months or so. Thank you
First thing to do is review all the Globalist benefits to get yourself familiar with everything included. Here's a good comparison chart: World of Hyatt Member Benefits | Hotel Loyalty Program | World of Hyatt

Then you can read from travel bloggers how they like to leverage Globalist status.
Guide to Hyatt Globalist elite status - The Points Guy
Why Hyatt Globalist Is My Favorite Hotel Status | One Mile at a Time

For me, the biggest benefit is getting free Suite upgrades using the 4 certificates. One note here, generally you need to reserve well in advance or you will be disappointed that you can't find openings at key properties you want to visit. I also love the free Globalist breakfast offerings at the higher end properties. Waived resort fees also have a material impact and value as a Globalist. There are many other benefits but these are my favorites
tobikosan and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Rookie questions but this is the NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Here (flame free) forum.

Do award nights count toward:
- “Qualifying Nights” total?
- “Milestone Rewards”?
- “Brand Explorer” tally?
- Quarterly promotions?

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.