Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
+1 for Hyatt Regency Austin. I like it much better than the Driscoll.... and the suites there are very nice. Location is still good w/awesome views.
+2 for HR Austin. I used a TSU and was given a superb river view suite. Globalist treatment is very solid there.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
I should have appreciated my apparent unicorn much more - but I was given the yellow rose suite as a comp upgrade in February 2018 on a cheap corporate rate on a 4 night stay (https://driskillhotel.com/rooms/suites/landmark-suites/)... combine that with the awesome breakfast, great hotel bar (I love bourbon drinks and they were awesome here) and easy walking access to nightlife, and this made for a very fun work trip and a great stay.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not stayed in a suite but they upgraded me to the Deluxe King and it was definitely big enough.

Great treatment as Globalist too, and the breakfast is the best that I've had at a Hyatt in the US (and honestly just as good, or better than, the ones I've had in Asia). They are also very generous with a $100 credit per day (with 2 people, we never spent more than $50) and the credit is good up until noon (and there were no issues when, on one day, we got there just before noon and the check came well after noon) so you are eating on your schedule, not theirs (this is a BIG part of good service, to me -- service is about convenience). I don't feel that I should miss out on my free breakfast if I feel like sleeping in until 11 on my vacation -- this is one of the few hotels that agrees.

You are right in the middle of downtown. Very close to great bars and restaurants. You can walk almost everywhere, and take a cheap ($10-$15) lyft ride if you want to go somewhere outside of downtown. Of course not everyone likes this -- there is a reason that people live in the suburbs after all. Personally, I loved it. But then again I wouldn't want to live in a house with a yard and a white picket fence where you have to drive everywhere -- so it's a matter of personal preference.

There are a lot of VERY good breweries east of the highway. It's walking distance but the concierge suggested that we take a car due to the large number of homeless people living under the highway. I don't know how bad it really is, but we took her advice and took a lyft to get to the first brewery and then walked from brewery to brewery once we got there.

The hotel is an old, historic building. If you appreciate and enjoy that then it's a great place. If you want somewhere that looks like every other chain hotel in the US, that's what the Regency is for. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'll happily stay at a hotel like that, but I much prefer a place like the Driskill. Again, it's just about personal preference.
sch_flyer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
The Driskill is cool for what it is - a historic property that happens to be part of WOH. It's an old building and rooms are "odd" but in a cool way. Doorways are narrow and things are not exactly "ergonomic". It does show its age - I had a tile fall of a shower wall while I was brushing teeth - when mentioned at check-out, the clerk just shrugged. The elevators are pretty funky as well and are sometimes out of order. The location is great and the decor is very "western" - you definitely don't feel like you're at any old Hyatt. I would not hesitate to stay again when in Austin, depending on the going rate!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Great treatment as Globalist too, and the breakfast is the best that I've had at a Hyatt in the US (and honestly just as good, or better than, the ones I've had in Asia). They are also very generous with a $100 credit per day (with 2 people, we never spent more than $50) and the credit is good up until noon (and there were no issues when, on one day, we got there just before noon and the check came well after noon) so you are eating on your schedule, not theirs (this is a BIG part of good service, to me -- service is about convenience). I don't feel that I should miss out on my free breakfast if I feel like sleeping in until 11 on my vacation -- this is one of the few hotels that agrees.
I wish more hotels would do this too.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by sch_flyer
The Driskill is cool for what it is - a historic property that happens to be part of WOH. It's an old building and rooms are "odd" but in a cool way. Doorways are narrow and things are not exactly "ergonomic". It does show its age - I had a tile fall of a shower wall while I was brushing teeth - when mentioned at check-out, the clerk just shrugged. The elevators are pretty funky as well and are sometimes out of order. The location is great and the decor is very "western" - you definitely don't feel like you're at any old Hyatt. I would not hesitate to stay again when in Austin, depending on the going rate!
I would agree with most of this word for word, until the last sentence. I think i would give this place a pass.

We may have a unique set of facts, but you only get one chance to make a first impression with me. We paid almost $400 per night due to the ACL music fest, arrived late Friday after spending the week at Hyatts in DC and got what i will say is one of the top 5 rooms assigned in my 20 years of being a road warrior. Call some of the rooms quirky if you may, I call them spaces that should be used to enlarge other rooms! Decent sized room but almost no light, thru 2 inside view windows. Visited the front desk and was very blunt but polite, needed to see other options before my wife arrived. Let’s just say it took a while for me to finally get a sufficiently empowered manager to get me into a decent room. I was on a Prive rate and the first deck clerk kept referencing my “complementary” upgrade and that all he could do for me was get me some other options without an upgrade. This isnt how Prive rates work, the upgrade is confirmed at booking and is hardly complementary. It was partially that it was late and i just wanted to sit down, but this hour plus of room viewing made me realize that there are a TON of undesirable rooms in this place.

I’d also say the quirks and other attributes mentioned in the quoted review can cut a little more negative. The elevators, redo them. Lots of other common area infrastructure that needs TLC, although to be clear our room was nice. New shower, new tiles, etc. But some of the rooms i viewed and rejected had much less attractive bathrooms.

Finally, I’m on a rate that includes breakfast for 2. The place in the hotel is quite popular and we were not advised we would need a reservation. A pompous passive aggressive host informed us we did and put our name on a list for what he claimed would be at least an hour wait. There were empty but unbussed tables, my biggest gripe at brunch, but we took his word and walked away down the street. To my partial surprise we got a text 5 minutes later that our table was available. The food was ultimately pretty meh, i think you can find far better brunch elsewhere. Not sure what the local attraction to this restaurant is.

I’d think carefully about this place if it going to be your first stay. There are lots of other options, a new Westin down the street, a 4 seasons, etc. I’d take a look around especially at higher rates like what i paid.
dpb132 and sch_flyer like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Just finished a 1 night stay here for NYE. Overall, really not impressed. Booked on points and later applied a TSU to go into a Junior Suite King which is the standard suite. I understand this is a historic hotel, but the rooms are really VERY small. Given how cramped the "suite" was, I can't imagine staying in a standard room (250-365 sqft) for any significant period of time. Bathroom was smaller than the closet in most suites I've stayed in at Hyatt.

Upon check in I was immediately told that they didn't have any upgrades due to a wedding so I'd be in a standard King room. When I responded that I had applied a TSU and had two separate confirmations from Hyatt that it had been applied (the TSU never got pulled from my account for some reason). There was a lot of key clicking and eventually he said it was buried in the profile. He handed us the keys and pointed us at the elevator. No offer to help with luggage (we wouldn't have accepted, but it should be offered).

Room was on the 5th floor and, as mentioned above, was quite small. Bathroom supported exactly one human at a time. Two 1L bottles of water in the room for elites. Mini bar in room (fridge as well as nuts, etc on top of the dresser). No price list anywhere in sight. Room did contain a Marpac white noise generator.. Very cheap, single cup coffee maker in the room (Hamilton Beach). Had a lovely view of a brick wall from all windows.

Had breakfast down in 1886 New Years morning. Nothing spectacular but OK. Total came out over $57 for the two of us including tip. After checkout noticed that folio had been updated with breakfast charges.... Should have been automatically been removed as a Glob. Had to call them this morning and talked to the concierge who removed the charges and credited my card. This is probably the 3rd time across 3 different hotels in the last month where breakfast was not properly removed for me. Not a great track record

Overall, yeah, it's a classic hotel and it is an experience, and very convenient to walk around downtown, but I don't think I'll be back
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Odd comparison...here or the HP? Driskill is $60/night more, but it's in the tiny Queen Petite room (King is $15/night more, internal company trip so don't love paying too much more than necessary). Would rather stay here for better breakfast / atmosphere / location, but I'm also not the biggest fan of "old".

Is there anything more unique / fun about this HP (given downtown location), compared to standard suburban HPs?

Know HR is an option but would prefer north of the river.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Odd comparison...here or the HP? Driskill is $60/night more, but it's in the tiny Queen Petite room (King is $15/night more, internal company trip so don't love paying too much more than necessary). Would rather stay here for better breakfast / atmosphere / location, but I'm also not the biggest fan of "old".

Is there anything more unique / fun about this HP (given downtown location), compared to standard suburban HPs?

I assume you are referring to the downtown HP. The full-service breakfast is much better at the Driskill of course, and there's a great (but crowded) bar, and 6th Street is literally right outside the front door. But the HP's location is fine as well, with all of the usual HP accoutrements.

If it were the same price I'd say Driskill for sure, and for 1-2 nights I'd probably still say that, but if it's a longer stay than the HP might be the better play for you.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's your status?

I booked the Petite Queen as a globalist and I got upgraded to a King Deluxe. I would not expect a Globalist, or even an Explorist, to actually end up staying in the Petite Queen unless the hotel is packed to the gills. This is the whole point of status, right? You book (and pay for) the small cheap room and you stay in a better room.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
What's your status?

I booked the Petite Queen as a globalist and I got upgraded to a King Deluxe. I would not expect a Globalist, or even an Explorist, to actually end up staying in the Petite Queen unless the hotel is packed to the gills. This is the whole point of status, right? You book (and pay for) the small cheap room and you stay in a better room.
Globalist! Good point...I should just suck it up and do it. IT was more the oldness / smallness factors that were possible turn-offs. But the rate isn't bad, and HPs are a dime a dozen.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:33 pm

Why not the HR? It’s my favorite in Austin. Good location right next to the “bat bridge.” Very nice rooms/suites with gorgeous views of the skyline. Very modern. Good breakfast. Next to lake and huge parks. 10 min walk to the main drag but removed from the crowds and noise....

Drisk has charm but the negatives are well documented....
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Why not the HR? It’s my favorite in Austin. Good location right next to the “bat bridge.” Very nice rooms/suites with gorgeous views of the skyline. Very modern. Good breakfast. Next to lake and huge parks. 10 min walk to the main drag but removed from the crowds and noise....

Drisk has charm but the negatives are well documented....
Would rather be closer to the crowds and noise work conference up closer to AT&T as well.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Globalist! Good point...I should just suck it up and do it. IT was more the oldness / smallness factors that were possible turn-offs. But the rate isn't bad, and HPs are a dime a dozen.
Personally I love the Driskill. It's got history. The breakfast is amazing. The service is great.

I'm not against chain hotels, but given the chance I'd rather stay in cool historic hotel. I stay in enough HRs and GHs... a change of pace is nice.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
I stayed at the Driscoll and paid $50.00 night to upgrade to there Lyndon Johnson suite which is just above the entrance with a big patio. Great room , but a bathroom the size of a coat closet. It’s old and dated , but great breakfast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.