Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP

It looks like it's official now. The Driskill is now listed on the webpage under the plain Hyatt brand, similar to Hyatt at the Bellevue in Philadelphia.

http://driskill.hyatt.com/

It doesn't look like all the rates are loaded yet, basically every night is $449 or $499 and there is no availability for points reservations, but judging by how many nights I could add before I received the " dyou don't have enough points" message it will be coming in as a Category 5 hotel. Not a good redemption value unless there's something big going on in Austin, but this is a great hotel in the middle of downtown and they have some amazing suites so this will hopefully be a great use of the suite upgrades.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:57 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Wow, two Hyatt additions in AUS in one week!
Old Mar 8, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: SWA CP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Amb.
Wow, excellent addition. You'll see a lot of a-listers staying here during the weeks of SXSW, ACL, F1.

It'll be interesting to see what their blackout dates are for award availability and diamond guarantee.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Unreal they went to Hyatt or anyone for that matter. I have spent way too much time here when living in Texas...wonder why they felt the need to "flag" themselves? Great hotel and location and the bar is outstanding.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wow, great news. I'm almost drooling over the possibility of an interesting suite upgrade here.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
[QUOTE=spgplat21;20383275]It looks like it's official now. The Driskill is now listed on the webpage under the plain Hyatt brand, similar to Hyatt at the Bellevue in Philadelphia.

Listing the Driskell as simply a Hyatt makes sense. A couple of people mentioned the Andaz brand, but that didn`t compute. The Andaz profile is hip and cool and modern; the Driskell is very very different. It is very classy old-world traditional, and it`s very upscale. Kind of the same genre as the Stephen F. Austin Hotel (an Intercontinental hotel) just a block away. The S. F. Austin Hotel has a Club Room, and the Driskell doesn`t - possibly a comparative disadvantage for the Hyatt Driskell. The (practically downtown) Hyatt Regency doesn`t have a Club Room either. The downtown Hilton does, though.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:18 pm

Love having another Hyatt in town as we stay-cation at the HR Town Lake all the time.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by amgt123
Wow, excellent addition. You'll see a lot of a-listers staying here during the weeks of SXSW, ACL, F1.
Ya - the ones who couldnt get into the W.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:14 am

The Driskill does has some really unique suites. However, I find the hotel to be a bit loud and wild on the weekends with a bit too much hallway noise.
Maybe I'm just old fuddy duddy and too old for Austin
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chuck1
The Driskill does has some really unique suites. However, I find the hotel to be a bit loud and wild on the weekends with a bit too much hallway noise.
Maybe I'm just old fuddy duddy and too old for Austin
It's haunted.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Any stays here since the switch over to Hyatt? I'm thinking of switching a stay next month from the HR to the Driskill, but the rate is quite a bit more.

Just wondering if any diamonds have stayed here and what their experiences were with upgrades and the diamond breakfast.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by singtx
Unreal they went to Hyatt or anyone for that matter. I have spent way too much time here when living in Texas...wonder why they felt the need to "flag" themselves? Great hotel and location and the bar is outstanding.
Hyatt actually purchased the hotel from the owners....
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I just stayed here last (Sunday) night. It was nice to stay at a historic full service property so close to lots of things to do.

As they are still upgrading/converting their systems they asked me for lots of contact information when I checked in. I realized that they didn't know I was Hyatt diamond, so I actually had a use for my Hyatt card! I chose points for the amenity and they still sent up a nice cheese & cracker plate. I had a nice 5th floor king historic room -- I did not ask about an upgrade, but in looking at the map I think suite upgrades here might be very nice. Breakfast is a $40 voucher to the 1886 café (way more then necessary).
Old Apr 2, 2013, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bworrell
I just stayed here last (Sunday) night. It was nice to stay at a historic full service property so close to lots of things to do.

As they are still upgrading/converting their systems they asked me for lots of contact information when I checked in. I realized that they didn't know I was Hyatt diamond, so I actually had a use for my Hyatt card! I chose points for the amenity and they still sent up a nice cheese & cracker plate. I had a nice 5th floor king historic room -- I did not ask about an upgrade, but in looking at the map I think suite upgrades here might be very nice. Breakfast is a $40 voucher to the 1886 café (way more then necessary).
Thanks for the report.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Does the Driskill not allow GP redemptions? I don't see a category listed anywhere...I assume it would be a 5 or 6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.