Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Personally I love the Driskill. It's got history. The breakfast is amazing. The service is great.

I'm not against chain hotels, but given the chance I'd rather stay in cool historic hotel. I stay in enough HRs and GHs... a change of pace is nice.
Thanks - am sold, will go there.

I love historic too, and non-chain...just didn't love my stay at the Bellevue, saw it compared to this one (in terms of "historic" and possibly old/small). But to be fair I was just a Discoverist then so didn't get any special treatment.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 4:18 pm

Heads up to those thinking about visiting the Driskill in the midst of Covid:

I've heard the breakfasts here are amazing. Unfortunately, they are just offering grab-and-go breakfast Monday-Thursday with limited selections: https://driskillhotel.com/documents/140/Takeout.pdf

Also, the famous Driskill Bar is only open Thursday-Saturday. https://driskillhotel.com/dining/driskill-bar/

There is no dinner option on site and no room service. Makes it hard to spend a $100 credit I have

I just checked in; overall unimpressed by the service. Though the room is beautiful!
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Heads up to those thinking about visiting the Driskill in the midst of Covid:

I've heard the breakfasts here are amazing. Unfortunately, they are just offering grab-and-go breakfast Monday-Thursday with limited selections: https://driskillhotel.com/documents/140/Takeout.pdf

Also, the famous Driskill Bar is only open Thursday-Saturday. https://driskillhotel.com/dining/driskill-bar/

There is no dinner option on site and no room service. Makes it hard to spend a $100 credit I have

I just checked in; overall unimpressed by the service. Though the room is beautiful!
I stayed there New Years Day for 2 nights and absolutely, the breakfast was amazing! Sucks you have to miss that. Also, I only went to the bar once, experienced awful service, used up most of my Prive credit there, and never looked back. Indeed, our room was beautiful (we were on the 2nd floor terrace looking over the street there). Love that hotel.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Daftryan
I stayed there New Years Day for 2 nights and absolutely, the breakfast was amazing! Sucks you have to miss that. Also, I only went to the bar once, experienced awful service, used up most of my Prive credit there, and never looked back. Indeed, our room was beautiful (we were on the 2nd floor terrace looking over the street there). Love that hotel.
I have a great room up in the Tower. I was told they are at about 10% occupancy. Kinda wish I had a room in the original building, but I am very happy with my room (and it is quiet with a nice view).
Old Dec 7, 2020, 10:16 pm

I have a great room up in the Tower. I was told they are at about 10% occupancy. Kinda wish I had a room in the original building, but I am very happy with my room (and it is quiet with a nice view).
Is there a limit for breakfast from the take-out menu? During the weekend does globalist get brunch comped too and if yes is there any limit? I'm between staying here or HR on the wfh rate. Driskill is ~40/day more expensive but has better location and food options to spend the $50 daily credit.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
stayed in the Sevond floor terrace suite overlooking street mentioned. Living room and terrace were very nice , but bedroom was small and bathoom the size of a postage stamp. Glob Breakfast in restaurant was delicious. Hyatt Regency now is food wise very limited during pandemic.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Is there a limit for breakfast from the take-out menu? During the weekend does globalist get brunch comped too and if yes is there any limit? I'm between staying here or HR on the wfh rate. Driskill is ~40/day more expensive but has better location and food options to spend the $50 daily credit.
There wasn't a limit for me on breakfast. I booked with Prive though; wasn't a Glob. The menu during the week isn't very extensive, however, so you can't really go too crazy. It is pre-made to-go options. On the weekend I understand you can get brunch in the cafe. Note that during the week there are no dinner options in the hotel (although maybe that has changed now, this was back in October).

I have a post with photos if you want to check it out: https://singleflyer.com/2020/10/07/t...-hotel-review/

I also stayed at the HR in Austin. It is a big hotel and lacks the character of the Driskill and not as good a location (any restaurants are a long walk). I would go with the Driskill.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:45 pm

There wasn't a limit for me on breakfast. I booked with Prive though; wasn't a Glob. The menu during the week isn't very extensive, however, so you can't really go too crazy. It is pre-made to-go options. On the weekend I understand you can get brunch in the cafe. Note that during the week there are no dinner options in the hotel (although maybe that has changed now, this was back in October).

I have a post with photos if you want to check it out: https://singleflyer.com/2020/10/07/t...-hotel-review/

I also stayed at the HR in Austin. It is a big hotel and lacks the character of the Driskill and not as good a location (any restaurants are a long walk). I would go with the Driskill.
Disagree on the HR. It's a classic old school HR with huge atrium and is fully renovated. Different stokes for different folks. Glob treatment at the HR is excellent with lots of suite upgrades and GORGEOUS views of Downtown Austin from across Lady Bird Lake. The distance to downtown (over a single bridge where the bats live) is about a half mile tops. It's adjacent to tons of gorgeous parks with trails and lots to look at.

OTOH - the Driskill is right off the main NOISY and rather dirty corridor where especially now there's a good lot of homeless people. If that's where you want to be, then so be it, but I much prefer being surrounded by quiet park land with gorgeous views and a ten minute walk to "the action." The HR also has hot made fresh food (or did) available for breakfast - and not just reheated stuff.

Also, Driskill rooms (even for Globs) can be very hit and miss. I've had TINY rooms there with significant hallway noise. Not an issue if it's 10% booked but....
Old Dec 8, 2020, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Disagree on the HR. It's a classic old school HR with huge atrium and is fully renovated. Different stokes for different folks. Glob treatment at the HR is excellent with lots of suite upgrades and GORGEOUS views of Downtown Austin from across Lady Bird Lake. The distance to downtown (over a single bridge where the bats live) is about a half mile tops. It's adjacent to tons of gorgeous parks with trails and lots to look at.

OTOH - the Driskill is right off the main NOISY and rather dirty corridor where especially now there's a good lot of homeless people. If that's where you want to be, then so be it, but I much prefer being surrounded by quiet park land with gorgeous views and a ten minute walk to "the action." The HR also has hot made fresh food (or did) available for breakfast - and not just reheated stuff.

Also, Driskill rooms (even for Globs) can be very hit and miss. I've had TINY rooms there with significant hallway noise. Not an issue if it's 10% booked but....
I agree with your points. Some great walking opportunities (the Lady Bird trail is fantastic), and you can visit the bats each night. I did love my view from the HR. I agree; the food is actually better at HR than at Driskill if you are there midweek. But it still is a generic big conference hotel.

The charm of Driskill is hard to beat. I also liked being able to grab dinner to-go with a 5 minute walk rather than 20 minutes. The area around Driskill definitely has a homeless population. I was up on the top floor of the tower (in a fantastic room) so the noise of the street was a non-issue.

As you say, just depends on what you are looking for. Both are good properties.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Anyone been here recently? Presumably things are more reopened than the last post from Dec 2020. How are mid-week breakfasts and Glob upgrades? Looking at a stay later this month.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Here now - was told to get breakfast in the restaurant (assuming sit-down).

Saw 1886 Suites and Cattle Baron Suite available online. Upgraded to a King Deluxe, rather than the 1886 Suite. Are the King Deluxes nicer? I have a lovely view from the Tower and a very spacious room, so curious if I came out ahead?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Interesting property with some issues.

An interesting stay, but extreme noise issues in my Tower room would deter me from staying again (white noise machine helps at night, but can't be used during virtual meetings with whole families screaming in the hallways).

The linens could also be updated as they were pilling.

Breakfast is served from an order-from-the-counter system.

Also, didn't see any ghosts, so...

dpb132 and TIVAgal like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
An interesting stay, but extreme noise issues in my Tower room would deter me from staying again (white noise machine helps at night, but can't be used during virtual meetings with whole families screaming in the hallways).
Where was the noise coming from? Thinking of staying there vs Thompson
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
Where was the noise coming from? Thinking of staying there vs Thompson
The noise came from the hallway - at least in the Tower, you could hear everything from the hallway as if it was being shouted in your ear. I had the misfortune of staying on the same floor as a family that spent most of their time shouting at each other for 15 minutes at a time before they headed out on their tourist activities.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
The noise came from the hallway - at least in the Tower, you could hear everything from the hallway as if it was being shouted in your ear. I had the misfortune of staying on the same floor as a family that spent most of their time shouting at each other for 15 minutes at a time before they headed out on their tourist activities.
Ouch.

David
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.