Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by christianj
Does the Driskill not allow GP redemptions? I don't see a category listed anywhere...I assume it would be a 5 or 6.
It's a Category 5 and I've made a few GP redemptions there so far, so maybe just no availability for those dates or a glitch while they update the room listings or something.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Has anyone stayed using a confirmed suite upgrade yet?
I'm curious if you get a junior suite or one of the 14 nicer suites.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
The Driskill - Austin (New Property)

I spend about 20 nights/year in Austin and it has always been the one major city where SPG has been a real issue. W is way too expensive and the Sheraton is somehow always booked full and the rates get stupid for the mediocre, out of the way property it is. I used to stay at the Driskill in the mid/late 2000's and have always loved it. I will officially be taking the 60 day Diamond challenge with comped status for my SPG Platinum (already re qualified this year) and excited to learn the Hyatt program, using the Driskill as my new home base when is Austin.

Sounds like many happy Hyatt members out there!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
Looks like I can get the Driskill for 18k Hyatt pts per night or the W Austin for 12k SPG pts per night for NYE. I have a similar number of points in each program, both below 100k these days..

I can also get the W Austin for $200+t on a corporate rate.

What would you do?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by tripaddict
Looks like I can get the Driskill for 18k Hyatt pts per night or the W Austin for 12k SPG pts per night for NYE. I have a similar number of points in each program, both below 100k these days..

What would you do?
W for either the points or corporate rate. (assuming you want a vibrant NYE)
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by tripaddict

What would you do?
I think it depends on the experience you're looking for, but that $200 rate at the W is pretty fantastic, usually costs minimum $300 and sky rockets from there...

Re: that W...paper thin windows with the live music in Austin so good luck sleeping...
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:32 am

Programs: Concorde Lounge Card
Originally Posted by krazieman
Has anyone stayed using a confirmed suite upgrade yet?
I'm curious if you get a junior suite or one of the 14 nicer suites.
Last i was there it was the nicer suite. The ones with double aspect windows.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:06 am

The Driskill - Austin (New Property)

My last stay they gave me the LBJ Suite and that was just for being Diamond and as a "welcome back" since I hadn't stayed in some time. I get the sense they'll be flexible at the time of check in based on how full they are and may give you something nicer...
Old May 10, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Why are there no recent reviews for this hotel? Is it due to the price? Looking to stay here in the coming months, so I'd be curious to hear from others.
Old May 10, 2014, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Just had a stay here last Sunday. It was really busy so we weren't expecting much of a diamond upgrade. They told us we were upgraded, but it didn't seem like it. The room was nice, but very small for a TX hotel. It had to be one of the 250 sq ft rooms. We were on a middle floor though so maybe that is some type of ugprade.

We really enjoy the hotel and the location, but I would not recommend booking a standard room here if you need a lot of space. The bed and the small desk were about all that fit.

The diamond breakfast was great, and I think the credit was around $44 for 2 people. It was plenty to cover our 2 entrees and 2 drinks. Valet parking was $34 and they had our car waiting for us each time we called down for it.
Old May 11, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just booked a room here for Father's Day weekend and also inviting my little brother along. Looks like I have to pay extra for a total of 3 people in a 2 bedroom Suite (is that normal? I thought it was starting at 4 people, not 3).

As a Diamond, I used a DSU and got a suite, but looks to be the Junior Suite with something like 340sqft! Wow, that's smaller than my 600sqft apartment living downtown a midwestern metro.I also saw that there's "no view" with this suite. Uh oh, doesn't sound too good for the price, however, I guess it will come down to the breakfast (I'm big on full restaraunt breakfast--could care less about lounges and clubs) perks. I see it's a $40 voucher for the restaurant. Might be worth it.

I'm really surprised to see such a low rating for this hotel on tripadvisor at a mid 70%.
Old May 11, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by doss1
I'm really surprised to see such a low rating for this hotel on tripadvisor at a mid 70%.
Stayed here last year on the USGP weekend myself. I'd guess the low ratings are due to the prices and size of the hotel? It's quite expensive and the rooms are too large or super luxurious. It is nice if you are going for the historic aspect of it though, we enjoyed the pictures and paintings and general atmosphere. The bar was alright and the bloody Mary bar on Sunday was superb. Considering staying there again this year just for that.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Firearm Policy

I was just about to book a stay here until my wife pointed out they have a firearm policy that restricts everyone except LEOs from carrying a concealed firearm even if they have a permit to do so. I had never noticed this before but see it now on all of the Texas Hyatt hotels I normally stay at. I know there are other CHL folks out there so be careful and wanted to give a heads up.
Old May 11, 2014, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ronbo83
I was just about to book a stay here until my wife pointed out they have a firearm policy that restricts everyone except LEOs from carrying a concealed firearm even if they have a permit to do so. I had never noticed this before but see it now on all of the Texas Hyatt hotels I normally stay at. I know there are other CHL folks out there so be careful and wanted to give a heads up.
How do they expect people to travel without their handguns?
Old May 12, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by spgplat21
How do they expect people to travel without their handguns?
you do know the difference between CHL and just having a gun in your possession, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.