Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by austin_modern
you do know the difference between CHL and just having a gun in your possession, right?
Yes, I realize that CHL stands for concealed handgun license.

I guess I just think this should fall really low on a person's list of concerns when visiting a hotel.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I guess I just think this should fall really low on a person's list of concerns when visiting a hotel.
Many CHLers have a 'If I am wearing pants, I am armed' mentality.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
Back to The Driskill.

Stayed two nights middle of June. Valet is $38/day. There appeared to be street parking nearby, as it was weekday stay, but I do not know safety or details. Room rate was great at $151/night MER.

1886 Restaurant was closed, breakfast served in the grille, wonderful and available until 11 AM.

Suite upgrade at check-in to Brazos Suite, huge room with a great balcony and those tall ceilings!

Outstanding service from housekeeping as we needed bedding for the fold out sofa at midnight one night after an extra bottle of wine or two. Friends don't let friends and all that.

Location that cannot be beat, walk to everything downtown.

My first stay since Hyatt purchase and I was very impressed.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by NewMexFlyer
Suite upgrade at check-in to Brazos Suite, huge room with a great balcony and those tall ceilings!
Is that the suite with the huge balcony directly over the hotel entrance? I received that suite once and it was fabulous. That might be the best room in the hotel.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
That is the suite. It is definitely one of the coolest rooms in Austin.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
I stayed in the Yellow Rose Suite earlier this year; Lady Bird Johnson would have loved the decor! Me, not so much...
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
The Driskill - Austin (New Property) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Got the LBJ suite once, pretty awesome room. Had a disappointing stay last time I was there, bad luck with the rooms (loud AC...dribbling faucets) and very green front desk check in agent who "upgraded" me to a tiny tower room next to the elevator. Small issues when traveling alone, but nevertheless, issues that would prevent me coming back with the wife and kid.

Responded to a survey with my honest comments, Manager emailed me as follow up and asked when I was returning. That would be tonight, so will interesting to see if anything is done for me. I'm not counting on it, nor do I care much, but curious...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Stayed here in December. Public spaces and location are fantastic. I was told that my room was upgraded to a suite. It was the smallest suite I've ever been in and was honestly a bit run down and awkwardly laid out... No desk, small bedroom, and another room that really needed some love. Balcony was cool but not much use in December so the pigeons made it there home. I was really hoping to love this place but the room was really a letdown.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
The Driskill - Austin (New Property) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

This is still my go-to when the rate is reasonable for business travel. Every room I've had recently has serious AC noise issues and are very dark. Basically the two most important things On my wife's list outside of being clean. I've been wanting to bring my wife and young daughter to Austin but have officially decided that I will NOT be staying here with them...hotel needs some upgrades to its bones...and with the JW and Westin coming in, competition is quickly gonna come back.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Average Stay

Spent two nights at the hotel this week. Friendly staff and old world charm.

The lobby and bar/lounge are split between levels and it's a bit awkward. I stayed in a deluxe king and had to walk through the bar to find the elevator to my room (or take 2 elevators). I didn't have time to explore the hotel and my room was on the small side. It's a great location but rooms show some wear and most seem small. The hotel does not have many rooms per floor but an inch gap between the door and the floor lets all noise into your room. I'm guessing the rooms in the historic section are much larger. I expected to be more impressed; especially for a 4 start hotel. Diamond breakfast was great.

I spent one night at the Hyatt Place and was upgraded to a large King with 6 foot windows on two sides. I think I'll head back to the HP for my next trip to Austin. Amazing staff and the corner king rooms are impressive. Didn't think I say that heading into the trip.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by broadbandcowboy
Spent two nights at the hotel this week. Friendly staff and old world charm.

The lobby and bar/lounge are split between levels and it's a bit awkward. I stayed in a deluxe king and had to walk through the bar to find the elevator to my room (or take 2 elevators). I didn't have time to explore the hotel and my room was on the small side. It's a great location but rooms show some wear and most seem small. The hotel does not have many rooms per floor but an inch gap between the door and the floor lets all noise into your room. I'm guessing the rooms in the historic section are much larger. I expected to be more impressed; especially for a 4 start hotel. Diamond breakfast was great.

I spent one night at the Hyatt Place and was upgraded to a large King with 6 foot windows on two sides. I think I'll head back to the HP for my next trip to Austin. Amazing staff and the corner king rooms are impressive. Didn't think I say that heading into the trip.
Thanks for the review. I was considering the Driskill for my trip to Austin in September, but the info about the gap between the door and the floor made me change my mind. Noise issue is a dealbreaker for me, and I am amazed how many hotels that just ignore that their doors do not block out anything (and/or slams so the whole corridor is shaking).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by heakja
Thanks for the review. I was considering the Driskill for my trip to Austin in September, but the info about the gap between the door and the floor made me change my mind. Noise issue is a dealbreaker for me, and I am amazed how many hotels that just ignore that their doors do not block out anything (and/or slams so the whole corridor is shaking).
you should really consider the JW Marriott or the W if you want somewhere nice. I like the Driskill as place to stay and a nice bar to get a drink, but it is a historic hotel and will have some of those style problems. To me, it had some of the same issues that the PH Vendome had. I tend to overlook them, but when you look at how the Driskill is trying to place itself in the Austin downtown scene, I find it hard not to pick the W or JW... HP is probably a good 2nd tier since its only a year or so old.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by austin_modern
you should really consider the JW Marriott or the W if you want somewhere nice. I like the Driskill as place to stay and a nice bar to get a drink, but it is a historic hotel and will have some of those style problems. To me, it had some of the same issues that the PH Vendome had. I tend to overlook them, but when you look at how the Driskill is trying to place itself in the Austin downtown scene, I find it hard not to pick the W or JW... HP is probably a good 2nd tier since its only a year or so old.
Thanks for the tip! I have actually stayed at the W once, but wasnt overly impressed for the price we paid.

Last edited by heakja; Mar 13, 2015 at 10:19 am
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Thanks for the tip! I have actually stayed at the W once, but wasnt overly impressed for the price we paid. And the rates are now higher...HP has good reviews, but shows sold out for my dates (6-8 sept), is something special going on then?
The worst thing about Austin hotels is that it seems like something is always going on. I lived there for a number of years and enjoy going back, but hotel rates are too often insane because of some event going on. On those dates, you have the labor day holiday and it also looks like there is a triathlon.

There are a lot of decent hotels in Austin that I would be perfectly happy with at the right rate, but lately I've just felt ripped off each time. The W Austin is plenty nice, but not at NY, San Francisco or European prices. I would say the same thing about the Driskill. To me, it's very similar to the Hyatt at the Bellevue in Philadelphia (good historic hotel, great breakfast, but slightly aging and poor sound insulation), but the main difference is the driskill is often $300-400+ whereas the Bellevue is usually $150-250.

I guess I just need to get used to it, because it's been this way for a few years now.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Thanks for the tip! I have actually stayed at the W once, but wasnt overly impressed for the price we paid. And the rates are now higher...HP has good reviews, but shows sold out for my dates (6-8 sept), is something special going on then?
The JW just opened - you should check it out. I'm probably going to stay there next week for a couple days.

As for the 6-8 of Sept date - I can't think of any big events. Nothing shows up on the Convention Center calendar.

http://www.austinconventioncenter.co...ptember%202015

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.