Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by spgplat21
the main difference is the driskill is often $300-400+ whereas the Bellevue is usually $150-250.

The main difference is that no one wants to visit Bellevue.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:06 am

I edited my post because there suddenly was availability on those dates. But 219 $+tax for a low floor room at Hyatt place downtown, yikes.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by austin_modern
The main difference is that no one wants to visit Bellevue.
Hyatt at the Bellevue in Philadelphia not the Hyatt Bellevue in Washington.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21
Hyatt at the Bellevue in Philadelphia not the Hyatt Bellevue in Washington.
Corrected: The main difference is that no one wants to visit Philly. [joke]

Last edited by austin_modern; Mar 13, 2015 at 11:53 am
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Corrected: The main difference is that no one wants to visit Philly. [joke]
Haha, that may be true as well.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:21 pm

I'm checking this out on Friday for a 1-night stay on business since the price dropped significantly as the date came closer (I'm doing a tour of the Hyatts in Austin--will only not have checked out the HP downtown because it was too pricey).

I called about using my suite upgrade (since I'm unlikely to use all 4 anyway) and was told they only do it into a junior suite and they are sold out. A bit disappointing. I see they have regular suites available and may check in early to try to talk a front desk agent into letting me experience one of those for the night (and they can even pull a DSU if they want but I doubt the FD is able to do that).
Old May 8, 2015, 8:27 pm

The Driskill - Austin (New Property) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Junior suite conclusion: small, loud, view of a parking garage from the patio and Crown Royal is the nicest whiskey in the mini bar for $10. I was quoted $300 to move to a nicer suite which is fine as it's not an entitlement. My conclusion: terrible DSU value at this hotel.

I think my Hyatt Place basic room was bigger.

ETA: the small sitting room has a sofa and a small table with a high backed chair and a TV... So is that a work desk or a TV stand? Because it sure as hell ain't big enough for both... Speaking of which the business center closes at 9 PM... Because it somehow disturbs the other guests when you use a computer quietly?

Last edited by djibouti; May 8, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Old May 9, 2015, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by djibouti
Junior suite conclusion: small, loud, view of a parking garage from the patio and Crown Royal is the nicest whiskey in the mini bar for $10. I was quoted $300 to move to a nicer suite which is fine as it's not an entitlement. My conclusion: terrible DSU value at this hotel.

I think my Hyatt Place basic room was bigger.

ETA: the small sitting room has a sofa and a small table with a high backed chair and a TV... So is that a work desk or a TV stand? Because it sure as hell ain't big enough for both... Speaking of which the business center closes at 9 PM... Because it somehow disturbs the other guests when you use a computer quietly?
why on earth do you care about the business center in Austin at 9pm on a Friday night. #YoureDoingItWrong
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Some great posts here.

I was seriously considering the Driskill for a Diamond Suite ugrade long weekend.

Now I realize it is NOT a great option for us.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Heading to town this weekend for a football game. Thoughts I whether I should spring for the extra points and stay here, or just stay at the HR or HP Dowtown?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

I've booked this hotel with points several times in the past, and just noticed they've re-categorized their rooms and created a new standard room type (220 sq.ft. petite queen). It says the room used to be staff quarters, and I remember they used to sell a curio room with only a single bed that had the same description so maybe they crammed a queen bed in these rooms or this might be a subset of the old Vintage King/Queen category.

Either way, you can no longer redeem points for a room with two beds, and availability, which was previously amazing, is now much worse. Plus you are stuck booking a 220 square foot room in Texas.

I noticed they do have the old standard room types available for cash and points on select dates for a $25/night premium, but of course, those appear to be only during periods of low demand.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k; HH, Hyatt Globalist
Bump

Anybody stayed here recently and have thoughts? Wife and I are going for 4 nights in Mar and looking at this hotel for $313/night or 20k/night. No points plus cash option as of now, but will call back to Hyatt. HP is $237 and HR is $252. Reviews seem to be great location, historic (all the good and bad that come with that). Rooms seem decent, but not great and not a good use of dsu's.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by GreekDeno
Anybody stayed here recently and have thoughts? Wife and I are going for 4 nights in Mar and looking at this hotel for $313/night or 20k/night. No points plus cash option as of now, but will call back to Hyatt. HP is $237 and HR is $252. Reviews seem to be great location, historic (all the good and bad that come with that). Rooms seem decent, but not great and not a good use of dsu's.
sounds like sxsw pricing. Will be a zoo if it's in that ten day period.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:37 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GreekDeno
All 3 of these properties are within 6-7 blocks of each other so the location shouldn't matter too much. The rooms at the Driskill are tiny, particularly the ones available for Points or P+C, and there can be a substantial upcharge to book a larger room.

sounds like sxsw pricing. Will be a zoo if it's in that ten day period.
That's actually typical pricing when there isn't a big event in town. The Driskill is sold out for many of the nights of SXSW and it's about $500/night when it does have availability.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by skj

That's actually typical pricing when there isn't a big event in town. The Driskill is sold out for many of the nights of SXSW and it's about $500/night when it does have availability.
Im used to seeing corporate rates at which all of them are well less than 250 for the three central city hyatts. Even on random weekends in march I see <240 prices for the Drisk.

Just chexked sxsw sxsw and most are elevated. Agreed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.