Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by SP03
Where was the noise coming from? Thinking of staying there vs Thompson
Unfortunately all the Hyatt properties have some noise issues. Driskill is old and walls and windows aren't well insulated. Thompson I could hear everything in the hall through the gap under the door (hopefully this has been fixed). Hyatt Regency is an atrium hotel so if people are being loud in the bar or in the halls you'll hear them, but usually not too many late night or early morning noise issues.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 5:54 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Has anyone ever stayed in the 1886 Suite in either configuration (1 King or 2 Queens)? I'm wondering how much light there was, or how the overall space felt.

The website description says it's on an interior corridor and a quick phone call to the front desk explained that meant "no natural light, windows are frosted or face a wall." That said, the hotel webpage's photos make the room seem bright and dazzling and of course the front desk didn't speak negatively about the room type.

Fwiw, I think someone upthread mentioned that a complimentary upgrade to this room-type (and the only Standard Suite) should be turned down, and a regular room in the historic tower should be requested instead.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Has anyone ever stayed in the 1886 Suite in either configuration (1 King or 2 Queens)? I'm wondering how much light there was, or how the overall space felt.

The website description says it's on an interior corridor and a quick phone call to the front desk explained that meant "no natural light, windows are frosted or face a wall." That said, the hotel webpage's photos make the room seem bright and dazzling and of course the front desk didn't speak negatively about the room type.

Fwiw, I think someone upthread mentioned that a complimentary upgrade to this room-type (and the only Standard Suite) should be turned down, and a regular room in the historic tower should be requested instead.
I had an upgrade to a king suite this summer and my room had a small exterior windows in both the living and bedrooms that faced another building. It wasn’t tons of natural light but I didn’t notice it lacking either.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Disagree on the HR. It's a classic old school HR with huge atrium and is fully renovated. Different stokes for different folks. Glob treatment at the HR is excellent with lots of suite upgrades and GORGEOUS views of Downtown Austin from across Lady Bird Lake. The distance to downtown (over a single bridge where the bats live) is about a half mile tops. It's adjacent to tons of gorgeous parks with trails and lots to look at.

OTOH - the Driskill is right off the main NOISY and rather dirty corridor where especially now there's a good lot of homeless people. If that's where you want to be, then so be it, but I much prefer being surrounded by quiet park land with gorgeous views and a ten minute walk to "the action." The HR also has hot made fresh food (or did) available for breakfast - and not just reheated stuff.

Also, Driskill rooms (even for Globs) can be very hit and miss. I've had TINY rooms there with significant hallway noise. Not an issue if it's 10% booked but....
2023 update- this comment and comparison between The Driskill and HR is still on point. We just got back from a weekend at The Driskill and have stayed at HR twice in the past year.

Not sure if it was a ghost but our Landmark Suite at The Driskill was unable to heat the room to 69F (according to the room thermostat). Sure felt colder. After maintenance tried in vain to fix the heating, about 4 hours later (Sat night and no one worked on the system I can promise) the heat kicked back on. Supernatural??? (cue spooky music) An interesting stay and wont give a full review, but next time in Austin we will probably go back to the HR. They really do treat Globalists well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.