Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was the more objectionable *fish* intestines?

If it's disgusting, don't look.
What does "looking" has to do with eating? Bottom line is this club is a joke and doesn't provide anything edible in the evening. At all!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
What does "looking" has to do with eating? Bottom line is this club is a joke and doesn't provide anything edible in the evening. At all!
Cheese and crackers aren't edible? What about raw veggies and fresh fruit? Maybe some chips?

I'm not an intestine eater, but I'm trying to understand what you find so very objectionable about this lounge, which I admit isn't wonderful but isn't absolutely terrible either.

Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't believe that people go to Tokyo (which quite possibly has the best food in the world, at reasonable prices) and eat at the hotel lounge.
luvFclass and ne0ven0m like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
I don't know why else they would have had reason to call me. Things worked out, so I am happy to leave the actual reason for it a mystery.
What if they were calling to see if you wanted to be upgraded to a suite!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Cheese and crackers aren't edible? What about raw veggies and fresh fruit? Maybe some chips?

I'm not an intestine eater, but I'm trying to understand what you find so very objectionable about this lounge, which I admit isn't wonderful but isn't absolutely terrible either.
The things you mention should be there all day long and no be the main dish during evening spread. In comparison to other Hyatt's the lounge operation at the HRT has nothing to offer which is usually the standard for an international chain hotel. The base line rate for a Club Room this week was 64,000 JPY (Standard Room 51,000 JPY) and all they can do is provide broken up parmesan, crackers and Doritos?

I think you're trying to hard to apologize for this property when it's absolutely not justified. This is in international chain and should be catering accordingly. But let's say I concede to your points and say you're right. Can you name some other international - non U.S. - Hyatt lounges that are worse? Especially at the price point of HRT (cash rates)? I haven't seen any but more than willing to know which ones that would be. Until then I stand by it that IMHO this is the worst Hyatt club lounge around.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I can't believe that people go to Tokyo (which quite possibly has the best food in the world, at reasonable prices) and eat at the hotel lounge.
I wouldn't say that Tokyo food is reasonably priced unless you eat in noodle joints or equivalent.

When I'm jetlagged, just want a snack, or would like to avoid bad weather, it's nice to have the option of a lounge. It can also be nice to use the lounge for a happy hour drink and light snack, after dinner drink, quick breakfast, and supply of water and coffee/tea etc. when also going out of the hotel for dinner etc.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sapguy
Agree, too bad that some people can only enjoy lame lounge food!

The lounge at the HR Tokyo is definitely not the worst in Asia, IMO
Nonsense. Who said anything about having dinner there?

So name some lounges that are worse. I'm listening!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The things you mention should be there all day long and no be the main dish during evening spread. In comparison to other Hyatt's the lounge operation at the HRT has nothing to offer which is usually the standard for an international chain hotel. The base line rate for a Club Room this week was 64,000 JPY (Standard Room 51,000 JPY) and all they can do is provide broken up parmesan, crackers and Doritos?

I think you're trying to hard to apologize for this property when it's absolutely not justified. This is in international chain and should be catering accordingly. But let's say I concede to your points and say you're right. Can you name some other international - non U.S. - Hyatt lounges that are worse? Especially at the price point of HRT (cash rates)? I haven't seen any but more than willing to know which ones that would be. Until then I stand by it that IMHO this is the worst Hyatt club lounge around.
That is definitely not a usual rate for that hotel. I paid much less than that at the GH (twice)
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[left]I wouldn't say that Tokyo food is reasonably priced unless you eat in noodle joints or equivalent.
Come on, I went to a michelin-guide tonkatsu place for under $20 (over $20 including beer). I would not say that that's the equivalent of a noodle place.

If by "reasonably priced" you mean $5-$10 or less, sure, your only real option is a noodle place. (although, I'd rather go to a noodle place in Tokyo than have dinner at a lounge) But if you are willing to go up to $20 or $30 you can get some really good stuff. The only expensive meals I've ever had in Tokyo were sushi, teppanyaki, and yakiniku.

Yakitori, sashimi, tonkatsu, etc are generally quite cheap. Anything you can get at an izakaya will generally be cheap and good (bar tab may not be so cheap).

All of this is better than what you will get at a hotel lounge.

RE: breakfast, I do usually eat that at the lounge before I head out. And if I happen to make it back to the hotel during happy hr I certainly won't say no to a free drink or 3.
muji and luvFclass like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That is definitely not a usual rate for that hotel. I paid much less than that at the GH (twice)
It's absolutely not the usual rate (usually ~26k) but this is Sakura season so the rates peak.

All the more reason to pay tribute to the fact that those who stay bring in the cash and maybe offer a little bit more than their usual mediocre spread. Even for those staying on points, the way that Hyatt reimburses the hotels for points bookings depends on occupancy. If the hotel is sold out or pretty much sold out then they are able to get the rack rate reimbursement from Hyatt vs dimes on the dollar during other times.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's absolutely not the usual rate (usually ~26k) but this is Sakura season so the rates peak.

All the more reason to pay tribute to the fact that those who stay bring in the cash and maybe offer a little bit more than their usual mediocre spread.
Did you really think they would upgrade their product to match a demand driven rate increase? Because that's just not realistic.

You'll see the same during NYC during Fashion Week and SF during OpenWorld and DreamForce. Hampton Inn doesn't start free-pouring Dom just because people are desperate enough to pay $700 for a $150 room.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
All the more reason to pay tribute to the fact that those who stay bring in the cash and maybe offer a little bit more than their usual mediocre spread.
The spread used to be quite nice. The current format is the result of the current GM wanting to make the evening a quiet place for drinking as opposed to a place where families loudly make their evening meal.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
A very simple solution would be for you to stay somewhere else.

Or if you really need to stay at HRT and can't stomach Japanese food for appetizers, pick yourself up a burger at McDonald's to bring with you to the lounge.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Eating McDonalds while in Tokyo - oh the horror (well for me, I wouldn't touch that crap in U.S. either, zero tolerance for it). I'd fast eat a sports bar... or hit the 7/11 downstairs for some nimono with fish balls (or without them).
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP,MAR-LTP;WoH-E;HH-G
IIRC, there is a 7-11 in the basement level of this hotel... Heck, I might even eat at the Denny's(!) across the street, rather than the lounge at the HRT. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.