Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I just checked in. It's no GH but it wouldn't be fair to expect it to be. It's nice enough. They had me "upgraded" to a club room. I requested a corner king deluxe instead. Much larger room, on a much higher floor (24 instead of 8) and of course I get club access anyway. They gave it to me with no issues. Calling a club room an "upgrade" is one of my pet peeves, especially for a globalist (the room is only expensive because of the club access, which of course I get in any room. Other than the access, it's a standard room on a low floor)

The room layout is a bit odd but it's nice enough. Is a bit of a hike from the bedroom to the bathroom (they did mention that they are renovating and this one is not yet renovated) This is definitely good value for a cat 3.
Most times, they've been very tight to offer me anything other than a Deluxe room.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I just checked in. It's no GH but it wouldn't be fair to expect it to be. It's nice enough. They had me "upgraded" to a club room. I requested a corner king deluxe instead. Much larger room, on a much higher floor (24 instead of 8) and of course I get club access anyway. They gave it to me with no issues. Calling a club room an "upgrade" is one of my pet peeves, especially for a globalist (the room is only expensive because of the club access, which of course I get in any room. Other than the access, it's a standard room on a low floor)

The room layout is a bit odd but it's nice enough. Is a bit of a hike from the bedroom to the bathroom (they did mention that they are renovating and this one is not yet renovated) This is definitely good value for a cat 3.
The Club Rooms, at least the ones on the club floor, have been nicely renovated, with a completely remodeled bathroom/WC. The un-renovated rooms I'm seen at HR Tokyo still have the shower in the bathtub and no separate WC.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is one of the hotels that I've noticed tend at times to offer only club level rooms for (additional) points for no apparent reason, although sometimes it's possible to click through to the next page and find that they also have regular rooms available for (fewer) points. As a Glob, I hate the idea of being forced to pay more points for lounge access, especially in hotels where it's just lounge access and not a slightly better room on a club floor. I suspect that if one isn't paying attention, it would be pretty easy to book the rooms with lounge access by mistake and not realize what's been offered/selected.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is one of the hotels that I've noticed tend at times to offer only club level rooms for (additional) points for no apparent reason, although sometimes it's possible to click through to the next page and find that they also have regular rooms available for (fewer) points. As a Glob, I hate the idea of being forced to pay more points for lounge access, especially in hotels where it's just lounge access and not a slightly better room on a club floor. I suspect that if one isn't paying attention, it would be pretty easy to book the rooms with lounge access by mistake and not realize what's been offered/selected.
I assume you mean using some app when you say page. The website does start with the club rooms as the first tab. While I could see someone clicking on one by mistake, not realizing almost immediately would be incredibly incompetent.

FWIW, if I were dead-set on using pts at HR Tokyo, I would be tempted to pay the extra pts for the Club Room. The real club rooms are immensely better than the lowest-level standard room. I would never take the chance of actually getting that standard room. It's been at least 15 years since I had to shower in a bathtub with a crappy curtain and it is an experience I certainly will try my best never to have again.

Looking at the descriptions on the website, all of the Deluxe (but no Corner Deluxe) and Club rooms have the renovated bathroom.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I assume you mean using some app when you say page. The website does start with the club rooms as the first tab. While I could see someone clicking on one by mistake, not realizing almost immediately would be incredibly incompetent.

FWIW, if I were dead-set on using pts at HR Tokyo, I would be tempted to pay the extra pts for the Club Room. The real club rooms are immensely better than the lowest-level standard room. I would never take the chance of actually getting that standard room. It's been at least 15 years since I had to shower in a bathtub with a crappy curtain and it is an experience I certainly will try my best never to have again.

Looking at the descriptions on the website, all of the Deluxe (but no Corner Deluxe) and Club rooms have the renovated bathroom.
Looking at the room descriptions, the basic club room is much bigger than the standard room so I would consider it a "real" upgrade after all (in many hotels it's just the same room on the club floor). I'm still glad I took the non-club corner deluxe instead. It's a significantly larger room. While I would slightly prefer the renovated bathroom, I honestly don't care. I certainly wouldn't take a smaller room just to get a renovated bathroom.

My only complaint about this place is that the bed and linens are extremely cheap and low quality.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:33 pm

Looking at the room descriptions, the basic club room is much bigger than the standard room so I would consider it a "real" upgrade after all (in many hotels it's just the same room on the club floor). I'm still glad I took the non-club corner deluxe instead. It's a significantly larger room. While I would slightly prefer the renovated bathroom, I honestly don't care. I certainly wouldn't take a smaller room just to get a renovated bathroom.

My only complaint about this place is that the bed and linens are extremely cheap and low quality.
Rather like choosing a 30-yr old Lincoln Town Car over a 5-year old Mercedes E-Class because you want more room (for one person). I always prefer quality over quantity.

The bed and linens, as well as the furnishings, are also much higher quality in the Club rooms

Of course you're correct that at many hotels the club rooms are the same, or nearly the same, as the other rooms, simply located on or near the club lounge floor, but that is not the case at HR Tokyo, which is why it is always wise to read the FT review thread and check the hotel's website before staying anywhere.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Rather like choosing a 30-yr old Lincoln Town Car over a 5-year old Mercedes E-Class because you want more room (for one person). I always prefer quality over quantity.

The bed and linens, as well as the furnishings, are also much higher quality in the Club rooms

Of course you're correct that at many hotels the club rooms are the same, or nearly the same, as the other rooms, simply located on or near the club lounge floor, but that is not the case at HR Tokyo, which is why it is always wise to read the FT review thread and check the hotel's website before staying anywhere.
Size is part of the room quality though. I am not going to cram into a tiny room because the shower has a sliding door instead of a curtain. I can't imagine anything that I care less about. It does not affect my use of the shower in any way, either in terms of functionality or in terms of enjoyment.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Not a GLOB so went in with low expectations but they upgraded me 2 categories to View Deluxe. I was very impressed with the condition of both the room and hotel; it certainly didn't look like it will be 40 years old soon. Waking up to the view of Mount Fuji is really something special!

The FD agents were proactive polite and nice; a stark contrast to the Centric which I came over from whose FD while acknowledging my repeat business were borderline rude and not nice (not translation issue). When the Centric goes to Cat 6 next week, there is no way it will be worth a double premium over here.

Only issue is probably the weird opening hours (perhaps not in japan? ) of the fitness center. I also had some trouble finding a step free way to get to Tochomae station (which the FD agents very patiently found the way!). Walking back from Shinjuku one night was a breeze also.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to say, with the exception of the bed quality, I'm happy with this hotel. The bathroom fixtures look and seem new (showerhead flows well with plenty of water pressure) despite this not being a newly-renovated bathroom. The lounge is great (breakfast was very good) and despite not being anything fancy, the seating was comfortable. If you like the neighborhood it's great for a cash price under $200 or pts when it's higher. (after tax and service charge, a pt redemption will put you at about 2c/pt once you are above a $200 price). I was looking at the last week of October and the cash price is 50k yen! (And the GH is over 90k for any non-advance-purchase rate ... good time of the year to use points I guess)
Aventine likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
When the Centric goes to Cat 6 next week, there is no way it will be worth a double premium over here.
The problem would be finding availability in the first place, especially during high rate times.

I was looking at the last week of October and the cash price is 50k yen! (And the GH is over 90k for any non-advance-purchase rate ... good time of the year to use points I guess)
One of the best times of the year to visit - good weather, events, etc.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Keep checking back for this hotel on the app and rooms always seem to open up.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:08 am

I was looking at the last week of October and the cash price is 50k yen! (And the GH is over 90k for any non-advance-purchase rate ... good time of the year to use points I guess)
Rugby World Cup
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Late March during Sakura seaon the standard rate at the HR Tokyo was displayed as 65,000 JPY++.

Gladly chose 12k per night for 3 nights total.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:33 am

have a points stay coming up. first time at HR Tokyo. used an Explorist lounge access cert. curious what kind of upgrade, if any, i can expect as an Explorist. i've read here that the club level rooms are significantly nicer than others. any hope of getting on the club level? if not, any other type/location of room that i should request to avoid the ol' vinyl shower curtain? thanks very much!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by orvando
have a points stay coming up. first time at HR Tokyo. used an Explorist lounge access cert. curious what kind of upgrade, if any, i can expect as an Explorist. i've read here that the club level rooms are significantly nicer than others. any hope of getting on the club level? if not, any other type/location of room that i should request to avoid the ol' vinyl shower curtain? thanks very much!
As far as I know all of the Club rooms and View Deluxe rooms (but not Corner Deluxe) have been renovated.The renovated baths are quite nice.
luvFclass likes this.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Mar 20, 2019 at 8:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.