Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy
Did not really received a room upgrade as a Globalist (supposedly, I got a room with a better view) but after the awful 3+hours ride on the limousine bus from Narita, I was not in the mood to haggle. The room that I received was fine, with an excellent view of Shinjuku, and with a rather small bathroom but a large shower stall with seating area so quite nice and comfortable.
3+ hours on the limo bus? I guess that's not a good option to take. We land about 4:00 pm on a Saturday. Not sure about traffic at that day/time. Thinking we'll take a train.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
3+ hours on the limo bus? I guess that's not a good option to take. We land about 4:00 pm on a Saturday. Not sure about traffic at that day/time. Thinking we'll take a train.
It was a particularly bad traffic day, due to the rain and the rush hour traffic at 4:30PM. We landed at 2:45PM at Narita but their Immigration line is ugly, long and disorganized (it's the ONLY thing disorganized in Japan, to me). It took us 1 hour to clear immigration and customs so we had to take the 4:30PM limo bus to Shinjuku.

Supposedly, the 'normal' duration for this trip is 2 hours.

The return trip from the Grand Hyatt Tokyo to Narita at 1PM only took us 1 hour 45 minutes

BTW, we considered the train but ruled it out as an option since we have lots of luggage
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
It's allegedly 1 hr 50 mins but traffic can be bad depending on time and day. It's still better direct if you have kids and tons of luggage than a NEX to Shinjuku station and walk or taxi. The station can be confusing even for experienced travelers.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Aventine
It's allegedly 1 hr 50 mins but traffic can be bad depending on time and day. It's still better direct if you have kids and tons of luggage than a NEX to Shinjuku station and walk or taxi. The station can be confusing even for experienced travelers.
I detest the limousine bus. It can be unpredictable because of traffic (I had a 90-minute trip from HND to the PH a few months ago), and even when it runs on schedule, it can be maddening to waste an hour as it meanders from one hotel to the next. (An antidote is to get off at the first stop it makes and cab it to your hotel). But as you say, 80-ish minutes on the Narita Express & navigating Shinjuku station isn't exactly fun either, and really not advised if you have lots of luggage/family in tow and/or haven't done it before. So as you say, putting up with the 2+ hour bus ride may be the best option for most travelers.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I think we're overselling the hardship of the journey from Shinjuku station. There are plenty of Youtube videos with detailed instructions to the West Exit, where you can then take a cab or walk. An ounce of preparation is really all you need.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Aventine
Shinjuku station really really isn’t that hard to navigate. As long as you can read. It’s actually quiet easy.

The only issue is that during rush hour there is a lot of foot traffic. Other than that it’s really super easy.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM (Former PM)
Originally Posted by krispykrme

Shinjuku station really really isn’t that hard to navigate. As long as you can read. It’s actually quiet easy.

The only issue is that during rush hour there is a lot of foot traffic. Other than that it’s really super easy.
I wouldn't call it super easy to a first timer. It's huge - has many levels and a multitude of exits. Not to mention more than one Rail line and sets of gates at more than one place.
Plan ahead and you should be fine - I've taken the train to Shinjuku from the airport 3 times now, and I think I have a decent grasp of the station. But some folks might find it a nightmare if they arrive at the wrong time due to the size of the crowds and get turned around.

Once you learn it - it becomes easier - and it's a nice walk to the Hyatt Regency.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just looked quickly through this thread and didn't see an answer to this question -- but admittedly I did not read everything, so sorry this is answered elsewhere...

Do the rooms at the HR Shinjuku have those free-to-use cell phones with unlimited data & calling? For my previous trip to Tokyo I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi Hills, and I found that phone to be a VERY useful little perk. I know that this is a less expensive hotel though so I don't know what to expect.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I just looked quickly through this thread and didn't see an answer to this question -- but admittedly I did not read everything, so sorry this is answered elsewhere...

Do the rooms at the HR Shinjuku have those free-to-use cell phones with unlimited data & calling?
No.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm booking it anyway. I have 2 cat 1-4 free nights and one of them expires the day after I leave Tokyo, so... perfect timing. 2 free night certs + 24k pts is better than my previous plan (100k pts for 4 nights at the grand hyatt). I'm looking forward to staying in a different part of Tokyo as well.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat

Do the rooms at the HR Shinjuku have those free-to-use cell phones with unlimited data & calling? For my previous trip to Tokyo I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi Hills, and I found that phone to be a VERY useful little perk. I know that this is a less expensive hotel though so I don't know what to expect.
No cell phone loaners. BTW, you have to pay for usage with those phones at the GH Roppongi Hills.

The 2 neighborhoods, Shinjuku-Ku & Roppongi Hills, could not be more different!
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sapguy
No cell phone loaners. BTW, you have to pay for usage with those phones at the GH Roppongi Hills.
Umm... you didn't when I was there in May. There was a big sign saying that the phone was free to use, and, boy, did I use it. I poked through the settings, found that you could turn on tethering, left it in my pocket the whole time and used it as a mobile hotspot for my real phone. I used about 20 gigs of data in the week I was there. I was not charged.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:37 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Umm... you didn't when I was there in May. There was a big sign saying that the phone was free to use, and, boy, did I use it. I poked through the settings, found that you could turn on tethering, left it in my pocket the whole time and used it as a mobile hotspot for my real phone. I used about 20 gigs of data in the week I was there. I was not charged.
I have no idea about mobile phone tariffs in Japan, but if lots of guests were doing this, I'm not surprised one now has to pay ...
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And this is why nice things don't last very long.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Data is extremely cheap. 20G of data is a drop in the bucket compared to what a week at that hotel costs.

Even if everyone used that much (which they don't) it wouldn't add up to one night per month. Maybe 2-3 nights per year. The free breakfasts / drinks / snacks at the club that I consumed over a week are a lot more than 20g of data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.