Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Completed a stay here from 11.23 to 11.27. Other than the location relative to a train station, this was a perfect hotel stay experience. Stayed in a Park Twin Suite and loved it. The room was more than enough. Great views. Service was excellent throughout the stay. The staff was incredibly professional especially during the small (4.9) earthquake that occurred during our stay. They closed down the elevators and restricted us from leaving the hotel, but felt like they were doing everything possible to insure the safety of their guests. The New York Bar was a very cool place to have late night drinks with friends. Will probably try the hyatt in RH next time due to the proximity to the train station and very close to my brother's place, but definitely have no complaints about the PHT. Loved it!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Seeing as the building the hotel is in didn't exist in the mid-80s, I think your guess could use a little fact checking. So could your other assertions.

The "real" Japan uses a floor fixture instead of a toilet. Even most Japanese no longer prefer squatting, I'll wager.
Whoops - I guess I assumed that the place was around in the 80s because that is the best way to describe the "decor".

My other "assertion" about the training at that hotel being completely westernised is spot on. That was the point I was making, not which country the GM is/was from. I assumed North America because there is a definite coldness and lack of graciousness compared to other Tokyo hotels.
Cheers

Last edited by Flyingfox; Dec 1, 2012 at 5:09 pm
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Whoops - I guess I assumed that the place was around in the 80s because that is the best way to describe the "decor".

My other "assertion" about the training at that hotel being completely westernised is spot on. That was the point I was making, not which country the GM is/was from. I assumed North America because there is a definite coldness and lack of graciousness compared to other Tokyo hotels.
Cheers
90s would be a more accurate description of the decor, as the hotel opened in 1994.

As a former regular guest of this property I strongly disagree with comments re coldness and lack of graciousness. Also, the hotel very much caters to both a foreign and domestic clientele, so your assertion that the hotel is "completely westernized" -whatever that means- is also inaccurate.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 2, 2012 at 3:51 am
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:09 pm

... there is a definite coldness and lack of graciousness compared to other Tokyo hotels.
I would call the atmosphere more one of discreet, unobtrusive, excellence of service.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by speedytimmy
there is a definite coldness and lack of graciousness compared to other Tokyo hotels.
I would call the atmosphere more one of discreet, unobtrusive, excellence of service.
There will always be outlier experiences. Sometimes people with an agenda, sometimes a personal taste clash, sometimes just plain bad luck.

I think of the Park Hyatt as the foie gras of Tokyo luxury hotels. An acquired taste, not for everyone, but extremely intense and pleasurable experience for those who "get it".
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Just finishing up a terrific 4 night stay

Hi. Mr Silver Springer and I had a great stay at the PHT. This is an aspirational hotel--both from the service and facilities standpoint as well as the cost. We came to Tokyo as part of a MR to get AA EXP; I also had two free suite nights from the Chase CC.
I avidly read posts in this thread to prepare as well as saw the film Lost in Translation just before our trip. We had a great stay and I am very glad we came to the PHT.
Here are my tips/suggestions:
1. Everything is pretty expensive, you get more for your money if you are a Hyatt diamond and can get free breakfast, evening drinks (5-7) in the NY bar and welcome gifts. As noted above, we got two free nights in a Park Suite with a view of Mt Fuji (it was clear and we did see it yesterday) and paid for two nights and used a suite upgrade for the rest of the stay. The two nights even with a discount rate, with tax and service were about $540 each. The breakfast benefit is worth about $31 a person; diamonds get the choice of three types of breakfast American, Japanese or healthy, either room service or in the Girondole restaurant. Diamonds also get free access to the spa facilities which otherwise cost $53 a person/day; all guests can use the pool or fitness center for free. Finally for the evening drinks, 5-7 in the NY Bar, there is a diamond menu, ask for it, that has a choice of a specific type of sparkling wine, red wine, white wine or premium Asahi draft, these are service with Japanese rice crackers/nuts. The regular menu did not show the specific wines/price on the diamond menu but the Asahi beer regular cost was 1100 yen or $13. You can have a second drink if you like during that period. The view was terrific; we heard a bit of the jazz entertainment which was also nice.

2. The Concierge service is terrific, take advantage of it. The staff at the desks on the 41st floor serve as concierge and reception staff. They are terrific and can really add to the enjoyment of your stay. We especially liked the area maps they had for Shinjuku, Ginza and Harajuku areas showing recommended shops and restaurants. We also got advice on where to get money from ATM (7/11) and reservations for the airport limousine bus return to the airport.

3. Make time to go to the pool and the spa. We went to the pool twice and we were the only ones there most of the time. As reported in this thread you must wear a bathing cap which they provide but these are cloth and not uncomfortable. The pool is pleasantly warm; while I wish it was a little deeper it was a nice experience. The spa was very interesting and enjoyable. On your first entrance you are given a tour and told the rules--no shoes in spa area, no clothes in separate M/F hot tubs and saunas. There is also a relaxation room with tea, juice water and small snacks. The hot tub was very hot and relaxing; there were three different saunas, each at a different temperature. The spa had the wonderful Aesop amenities including a few types not in the room.

4. Eating options that aren't expensive: Japanese department stores have restaurants on top floors that have a very reasonable set lunch--this is your chance to try different foods. In the hotel there is a deli with sandwiches etc that is open til 7 pm. Others have written about the restaurants on the B1 level; we tried Subway on a night when we were pretty tired. One night we split a small pizza (a little larger than a dinner plate)at the NY bar; it cost $30 and was tasty and we werent very hungry.

5. For transportation to and from the hotel and Narita, try the airport limousine bus. We bought a tourist ticket that included round trip tickets and a 2 day metro pass for 6000 yen ($72) a person. The surprising thing is how far away Narita is; we arrived on a Friday night during rush hour and it took two hours to reach the hotel: the bus stops at the front door which is very nice.

6. We enjoyed an afternoon city tour from Sunrise tours that included a pick up and drop off at nearby hotels (no stop at the PHT) and at 5000 yen ($60) it was a great value and included views from the top of the World trade Center, short stop at the Palace gardens, longer stop at the Asakusa temple and shopping nearby and a 40 minute boat ride.

Overall: we had a beautiful suite, hotel staff couldnt be nicer. We really enjoyed our stay at the PHT.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by silver springer

One night we split a small pizza (a little larger than a dinner plate)at the NY bar; it cost $30 and was tasty and we werent very hungry.
Nice review.

Did you get the salmon pizza? I thought it was great.

-David
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Nice review.

Did you get the salmon pizza? I thought it was great.

-David
No there is only one pizza available in the NY bar, I think it had ham and mushrooms.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by silver springer
No there is only one pizza available in the NY bar, I think it had ham and mushrooms.
Yeah, menus are here: http://tokyo.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/ho...itemId=1001053

Looks like they changed it since I was there last year.

-David
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Yeah, menus are here: http://tokyo.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/ho...itemId=1001053

Looks like they changed it since I was there last year.

-David
It would have changed since I was there and had the salmon pizza in June...
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:57 am

Addendum to earlier review

Hi. I realized I posted the incorrect price/value for American and other breakfast options for diamonds. The price is 3900 yen or $47.50 dollars per person.
Also I went to the spa again and found out that there are a number of free exercise classes that are not widely publicized. These are free to guests and include things such as pilates, hula dance, water aerobics and stretching. You need to ask at the desk of club on the park (45th floor) for the schedule.

Cheers, Mary Anne
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, *A Gold
I stayed at the Park Hyatt Tokyo last september using stay certificates.
I've written a review and posted some pictures about our trip here.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Goosh
Completed a stay here from 11.23 to 11.27. Other than the location relative to a train station, this was a perfect hotel stay experience. Stayed in a Park Twin Suite and loved it. The room was more than enough. Great views. Service was excellent throughout the stay. The staff was incredibly professional especially during the small (4.9) earthquake that occurred during our stay. They closed down the elevators and restricted us from leaving the hotel, but felt like they were doing everything possible to insure the safety of their guests. The New York Bar was a very cool place to have late night drinks with friends. Will probably try the hyatt in RH next time due to the proximity to the train station and very close to my brother's place, but definitely have no complaints about the PHT. Loved it!
It looks like our stays overlapped! The hotel staff handled the earthquake remarkly well and somehow even managed to get our Japanese guests to Girondole in time for our dinner reservation a little after the earthquake occured. Our friends were all quite excited that they got to use the employee service elevator which apparently is otherwise used to whisk VIPs into the hotel. One of those only in Japan moments.

I haven't seen this posted yet: We were advised that the Japanese breakfast now has to be pre-ordered by 9PM (both room service and restaurant). We didn't like this change, and told them as much, espcially since it turned out to be a hassle one evening.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sensei
I haven't seen this posted yet: We were advised that the Japanese breakfast now has to be pre-ordered by 9PM (both room service and restaurant). We didn't like this change, and told them as much, espcially since it turned out to be a hassle one evening.
We were also told this back in June. I know that the Japanese breakfast requires a good deal of preparation, so difficult to provide without accurate account of demand without a good deal of wastefulness.

It's inconvenient, but I respect their decision.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Not sure why a Japanese breakfast (grilled fish bento style I assume) would require such advance preparation (to require an overnight order) - the HR in Tokyo has this on the regular menu in their Japanese restaurant (and it's delicious).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.