Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by canyonleo
We don't need a poll, it's way more than 1 of our 50. I typically stay at the HR and I love the Japenese bento (not buffet) breakfast. I'm American, and I eat local food when I travel (I don't even eat American breakfast at home).
As you love the Japanese bento, I imagine it would not be an issue for you to reserve it in advance? So the current PHT policy wouldn't have an impact on your enjoyment.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
IIRC, there were plenty of Japanese items on the breakfast buffet when I was there. I know there was salad and other items I didn't pay much attention to, so I don't recall the exact items they had.
I actually don't recall seeing any Japanese items at the buffet. Was there any grilled fish? Don't recall seeing rice, nori, Japanese pickles, or miso soup either.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by hailstorm
As you love the Japanese bento, I imagine it would not be an issue for you to reserve it in advance? So the current PHT policy wouldn't have an impact on your enjoyment.
Sorry, but you're wrong. With jet lag, it's often that I don't know if I'm getting up early with three hours to eat and work West Coast afternoon hours, or if I'm getting up last minute and eating a Clif Bar with my coffee in the shower.

There's no (zero) way I can make a breakfast plan the night before.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if generalizing the discussion a bit would add some perspective.

For the first ten years of its existence, the PHT was the only luxury hotel in the largest city in the world. This meant that they need not spare any expense to provide the very best possible service since there was no problem charging for that service. During that period, I believe the PHT was very likely the most profitable hotel in the entire Hyatt system.

And then along came the Four Seasons Maronouchi, quickly followed by several other luxury hotels. The PHT had real competition at a time when the Japanese economy also entered a major recession. And most 'cost is no object' business moved to the luxury hotel most recently opened.

Clearly, the PHT intends to remain a luxury hotel, but it now has to deal with the new reality of balancing costs with revenue in a tight local economy where it faces significant competition. I think the GM has a much more difficult task now than when the PH first opened. So far, my view is that he is meeting that challenge brilliantly.

Even though I miss the "tower of brownies" as an in-room gift and a few people miss the ability to order a specialized breakfast on the spur of the moment, the PHT is still one of the very best Hyatts in the world and remains a luxury hotel that all Hyatt management can be proud of.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
> a few people miss the ability to order a specialized breakfast on the spur of the moment

We're not discussing a specialized breakfast, nor a spur of the moment order... we're discussing a standard off the shelve Japanese bento box breakfast ordered during standard breakfast business hours.

IMO I would understand if they had a limited number of these, but to flat out take it off the menu unless pre-ordered and even then only for a select time slot goes over the "adapt for current economy/competition" situation.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canyonleo
> a few people miss the ability to order a specialized breakfast on the spur of the moment

We're not discussing a specialized breakfast, nor a spur of the moment order... we're discussing a standard off the shelve Japanese bento box breakfast
No, we're not. This is the Park Hyatt Tokyo thread, not the Hyatt Regency Tokyo thread.

Have you ever had the PHT Japanese breakfast?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:50 pm

I have an upcoming stay in Park Suite King category. Any particular recommendations of rooms to request or to avoid? Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:39 pm
DH

Tip for Room Service?

During last stay at the hotel, I ordered room service but there was some hesitation after the breakfast was delivered. Am I expected to tip him? I thought in Japan tips aren't necessary but I just want to double check for next stay...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DH
During last stay at the hotel, I ordered room service but there was some hesitation after the breakfast was delivered. Am I expected to tip him? I thought in Japan tips aren't necessary but I just want to double check for next stay...
I've ordered room service in all the Hyatts in Tokyo. There's never been any hesitation or any other indication on the part of staff that a tip is expected, but that doesn't preclude the possibility of a isolated staff member attempting to shake down an unknowing foreigner.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DH
Let me re-confirm what was said above. Don't even think of tipping.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by DH
As someone who has lived in Japan for quite some time... not only are tips not expected they are actually almost an insult.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:46 pm

How much would a taxi cost from the Capitol Tokyu in Akasuka to the Park Hyatt? I'm trying to plan a trip in April and I can't afford to stay at the PH the entire time so I'm thinking of splitting between 2 hotels.

Any cheaper hotel recommendations other than the Capitol? I may also try the Hyatt in Shinjuku just because it's near the PH.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by nycnyc
How much would a taxi cost from the Capitol Tokyu in Akasuka to the Park Hyatt? I'm trying to plan a trip in April and I can't afford to stay at the PH the entire time so I'm thinking of splitting between two hotels.
The taxi should cost less than ¥3000.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycnyc
How much would a taxi cost from the Capitol Tokyu in Akasuka to the Park Hyatt? I'm trying to plan a trip in April and I can't afford to stay at the PH the entire time so I'm thinking of splitting between 2 hotels.

Any cheaper hotel recommendations other than the Capitol? I may also try the Hyatt in Shinjuku just because it's near the PH.
Just make sure you move from the Capitol Tokyu to the Park Hyatt, and not the other way around.

If you're looking to save money, you'd save a couple thousand yen more using clean, efficient public transportation than you would using a taxi.

The Hyatt Regency is nice, but only people who exclusively stay at Park Hyatt and higher level hotels would consider it "cheap".

There are more hotels under 10,000 yen in Tokyo than you can shake a stick at. That's probably a topic better suited to the Japan forum.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Just make sure you move from the Capitol Tokyu to the Park Hyatt, and not the other way around.

If you're looking to save money, you'd save a couple thousand yen more using clean, efficient public transportation than you would using a taxi.

The Hyatt Regency is nice, but only people who exclusively stay at Park Hyatt and higher level hotels would consider it "cheap".

There are more hotels under 10,000 yen in Tokyo than you can shake a stick at. That's probably a topic better suited to the Japan forum.
Definitely moving to the PH--right now I'm thinking of 2-3 nights at either the Capitol or the Hyatt Regency and then 4-5 nights at the PH. I wanted to use Gold Passport points for a suite upgrade but the daily rate is so high and might have to just get a regular room.

I don't consider the Hyatt Regency cheap, I should have said less expensive or more affordable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.