Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by baliktad
2500 JPY (~$31 USD) a day.
Where do you get that conversion? Dollar is over 96.5 yen as I type this.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baliktad
I called and spoke to the hotel regarding an upcoming stay. They said they offer portable wifi devices for rent for 2500 JPY (~$31 USD) a day.
Bring your own compatible unlocked wifi device and buy one or more bMobile sims. It's LOTS cheaper and they will deliver directly to the hotel or you can pick it up at the airport.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html

If you use up your bandwidth or the SIM expires, you can buy a slightly different version over the counter at most all large electronics stores. In that case, ask the store clerk to activate it for you (the one ordered online doesn't require activation).
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:10 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Where do you get that conversion? Dollar is over 96.5 yen as I type this.
Sorry, I just copied from my notes when I called the hotel in December, and didn't reconvert the currency at today's rates. I've edited my post to make sure there isn't any confusion in the future.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Bring your own compatible unlocked wifi device and buy one or more bMobile sims. It's LOTS cheaper and they will deliver directly to the hotel or you can pick it up at the airport.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html

If you use up your bandwidth or the SIM expires, you can buy a slightly different version over the counter at most all large electronics stores. In that case, ask the store clerk to activate it for you (the one ordered online doesn't require activation).
Are these bmobile SIM's only valid in wifi hotspots? What if I put one in my phone just for data service? That's all I really need.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:15 pm

Sorry I didn't make it clear. The bMobile SIM is extensively discussed in the Japan forum in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

It generates a wifi hotspot (if that is what you want) or makes your phone into a data terminal, but it connects to the internet through DoCoMo 4G LTE wireless service. DoCoMo service exists pretty much everywhere people do in Japan.

On my last trip, my kids used it to send service to a wifi-ony iPad but also to access Google maps on their smart phone (and email etc etc etc). It does everything except voice calls and SMS, but does support Skye.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:58 am

Will be arriving NRT at around 21:00 and was hopping to use Narita Express to get to Park Hyatt. However, checking Narita Express schedule I see that the last train is at 21:44 http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation..._nex_u/07.html . Is it enough time to clear customs, get your bags, pick up pre-paid mifi device, buy Suica and Narita Express tickets and still make the last train? Should I start looking for alternative transportation options just in case?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Will be arriving NRT at around 21:00 and was hoping to use Narita Express to get to Park Hyatt. However, checking Narita Express schedule I see that the last train is at 21:44 http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation..._nex_u/07.html . Is it enough time to clear customs, get your bags, pick up pre-paid mifi device, buy Suica and Narita Express tickets and still make the last train? Should I start looking for alternative transportation options just in case?
I think that is a little tight but potentially doable. There is a Keisei Skyliner that leaves a little later (22:18) so that is another option. Take a look at this page:

http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetud.../us/index.html

Some other options are listed here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html

The limousine bus (think bus, not limousine) may be easiest depending on your luggage and familiarity with Tokyo as it will take you right to the Park Hyatt.

Personally, even with luggage, I prefer the train.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by speedytimmy
I think that is a little tight but potentially doable. There is a Keisei Skyliner that leaves a little later (22:18) so that is another option. Take a look at this page:

The limousine bus (think bus, not limousine) may be easiest depending on your luggage and familiarity with Tokyo as it will take you right to the Park Hyatt.

Thanks. I would prefer Narita Express with an option to buy Suica card, however if we cannot make it in time for the latest train, Keisei Skyliner is then going to be an option. The only problem is, we will need to transfer and take JT Yamonote Line to Shinjuku station and then take free shuttle or taxi.

Is it worth getting Keisei Skyliner ticket with a 2 day Metro pass or should we just but Suica card later?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:27 pm

The two day metro ticket does save a few hundred yen if you plan on using the subway for 2 days in a row. Bear in mind it is not good on the 4 TOEI subway lines. The closest subway station to the PH is the TOEI Oedo line, so the pass wouldn't be good there.

You can buy a SUICA card for Y500 (refundable when you hand it in) at vending machines located at most stations.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by speedytimmy

Agree with this. You might just make it (I've made it onto N'Ex, with checked bags, in I think about 40 min once). If the airport isn't too busy at that time, it would be easier; I've always arrived late afternoon (AA flights from JFK/ORD), which is a pretty busy time for the airport. That being said, I would be prepared to have to take another kind of transit.

The limo bus would be good, if you can get on one pretty quickly. Every time I've come in, the next bus has been booked and it has been over an hour wait. Waited for it on our first trip, but have been taking N'Ex since then (in fact, on more recent trips, haven't even checked the bus; instead just go directly to N'Ex). Again, this is in the late afternoon, so I imagine it is better late at night.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by aa4ever
Agree with this. You might just make it (I've made it onto N'Ex, with checked bags, in I think about 40 min once). If the airport isn't too busy at that time, it would be easier; I've always arrived late afternoon (AA flights from JFK/ORD), which is a pretty busy time for the airport. That being said, I would be prepared to have to take another kind of transit.

The limo bus would be good, if you can get on one pretty quickly. Every time I've come in, the next bus has been booked and it has been over an hour wait. Waited for it on our first trip, but have been taking N'Ex since then (in fact, on more recent trips, haven't even checked the bus; instead just go directly to N'Ex). Again, this is in the late afternoon, so I imagine it is better late at night.
Do flights from US generally arrive ahead of schedule?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Do flights from US generally arrive ahead of schedule?
Well, they're long flights so I guess by nature they often run a bit ahead, but I don't think there's any rule. Also, probably depends on where you leave from (I generally leave from JFK, so not one of those particularly on-time airports).
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:05 am

The primary unpredictable variables are when the flight actually arrives and line lengths at immigration. If you find that you're cutting it close for the NEx, you should just buy a NEx ticket from the machine or NEx counter and forgo the Suica combo. The latter does save $20-30, but getting the combo also requires lots of extra time.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by wideman
The primary unpredictable variables are when the flight actually arrives and line lengths at immigration. If you find that you're cutting it close for the NEx, you should just buy a NEx ticket from the machine or NEx counter and forgo the Suica combo. The latter does save $20-30, but getting the combo also requires lots of extra time.
So 2-3 minutes is lots of time? That's my average. They have a separate line at the JR East office at terminal 1 just for this and were very efficient. It might well take longer for a newbie to figure out how to use the ticket machine.

But we're getting off topic, so I'll suggest this discussion belongs in the Japan forum and stop now.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:24 pm

In Kyoto now but I stayed overnight at the PH a few days ago. Arrived around 7:30 PM on the Limo bus and the welcome was a bit rough. They had 2 guys downstairs to meet a family of 4 plus myself and 2 other solo guests. 1 guy disappeared with the family while the other guy tried to make sense that the 3 of us arriving weren't traveling together. He took the elevator with us but no one met us upstairs or showed us to reception. Don't really have much hopes for the welcome when I return to Tokyo today.

Stayed in a Park Deluxe room and the room itself is much nicer than in any photos online. I did think the bathroom felt a bit tight and I wished there was more tech in the room, even a centralized panel for controlling lights, temperature, etc. would have been nice. Woke up, opened the curtains and saw Mount Fuji huge and as clear as day. Stunning. The view was amazing even without Fuji. Had breakfast in my room because it came with the rate and it was delicious. I wouldn't have it everyday but I'll probably get it again before I leave.

Had jet lag and woke up early, so I walked around the area for a couple of hours to get oriented. Location wasn't as annoying as I heard--10 minutes straight to Shinjuku Station.

More to come!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 4:48 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nycnyc
Location wasn't as annoying as I heard--10 minutes straight to Shinjuku Station.
The shuttle itself between the hotel and Shinjuku takes around 7 minutes, a bit more if there's traffic. The location isn't bad if you're only there for a day or so, but the location is a definite annoyance that adds up over a multiple day stay where you want to do things away from the hotel, because virtually everything you want to do involves getting to Shinjuku first.
  • The shuttle departs on time, but unless you plan and arrive right at the departure time, you have to wait up to 20 minutes.
  • Even after being dropped off at the Shinjuku end, you still have to walk a few minutes to get into the actual station.
  • The shuttle doesn't start until 9 in the morning. If you're trying to get an early start you'll need to make alternate arrangements.

You can avoid the scheduled shuttle wait/times by catching a cab (about 800 yen a pop if I remember right) or walking (20 minutes).

Had a fantastic stay here but the location and lack of quick access to the subway system was the one drawback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.