Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ainternational
I'm actually curious how much that breakfast costs. I'm sure it isn't cheap. Party of two for breakfast at the French Kitchen at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo was over $100 USD last time I ventured to the actual restaurant for breakfast versus the Grand Club. The Park can't be any cheaper.
If you're talking in terms of US dollars, then it's certainly going to be much cheaper than it was just seven or eight months ago.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The breakfast buffet at Girandole runs Y3900 a person plus 13% service. Here's the menu:

http://www.parkhyatttokyo.com/Facili..._Breakfast.pdf

This is included for Diamond members.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The breakfast buffet at Girandole runs Y3900 a person plus 13% service. Here's the menu:

http://www.parkhyatttokyo.com/Facili..._Breakfast.pdf

This is included for Diamond members.
But that doesn't include a la carte items, which I think was what the original question referred to.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
But that doesn't include a la carte items, which I think was what the original question referred to.
The entire menu is there, with prices.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:56 pm

Here are some pics I took of the Park Suite I stayed in during my April 2013 trip. Sorry if they seem obsessive but I was trying to take pics so I could remember the stay well months after.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maotsew...7633359408391/

One of the best hotels ever.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:42 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Thanks for the detailed trip report with photos! I've stayed at Park Hyatt Paris and am contemplating either PH Tokyo or PH Sydney for my next trip....
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:00 pm

Hidden Price Increase at PHT

As many of you know, I am a regular at this hotel.

But I am surprised to notice that the service charge, a mandatory fee added to all bills, is now 13%. It's been 10% forever. So bear this hidden increase in mind, I know it doesn't sound like a lot but in a deflationary economy like Japan, it's quite unusual.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA

But I am surprised to notice that the service charge, a mandatory fee added to all bills, is now 13%. It's been 10% forever. So bear this hidden increase in mind, I know it doesn't sound like a lot but in a deflationary economy like Japan, it's quite unusual.
Anything other than 10% charge for service is pretty much unheard of in Japan. Ask any Japanese and the definition of "service charge" is "10%". It has been that as long as I've been here, 37 years, and I imagine a lot longer than that.

It must be a Tokyo thing though, I've booked the Conrad Tokyo for New Year's to burn up my Hilton points before devaluation and noticed that the reservation says "Taxes: 18%" (plus the ¥200/person for Tokyo's hotel tax), when everyone knows that that only tax is the 5% (at least till next April) consumption tax, so I guess maybe they're adding 13% service charge and foisting it off on the unknowing as a "tax".
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:30 pm

sorry, one more question about my stay.

i'm traveling on shinkansen from kyoto, what is the fastest way to the park hyatt at the station? cheapest? (hopefully the two can coincide somewhat)
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond

I am glad you brought this up.
I also noticed that the Grand Hyatt charged me 13% which it calls Accommodation Charge + 5.65% Consumption Tax + 100yen per person Accommodation Tax. In all 19.35%

However the Hyatt Regency one year ago only charged me 10% which it called Service Charge + 100yen per person tax. That was it.
No 5.65% Consumption Tax. In all 10.5%.

Can anyone tell us what the taxes were on a more recent stay at the HR Tokyo.
Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Can anyone say why Hyatt Properties in Tokyo are showing us all these charges that add 20%+ to the base price of the room when other Hyatt properties in Japan are all inclusive such as Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka.... ?

I notice Park Hyatt calls the 13% a Government Tax while Grand Hyatt calls it an Accommodation Charge. The Park Hyatt refers to the 5.65% as an "Occupancy Tax" while the Grand Hyatt calls it a "Service Charge".
Shouldn't they be using the same terminology so we know what portion goes to the government and how much Hyatt keeps for itself.?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by suite2suite
Can anyone say why Hyatt Properties in Tokyo are showing us all these charges that add 20%+ to the base price of the room when other Hyatt properties in Japan are all inclusive such as Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka.... ?

I notice Park Hyatt calls the 13% a Government Tax while Grand Hyatt calls it an Accommodation Charge. The Park Hyatt refers to the 5.65% as an "Occupancy Tax" while the Grand Hyatt calls it a "Service Charge".
Shouldn't they be using the same terminology so we know what portion goes to the government and how much Hyatt keeps for itself.?
Could be local laws/regulations in Tokyo. Years ago PHT displayed net rates. None of this has any effect on the rates we pay, it's simply a matter of wether net rates or ++ rates are displayed.

All inclusive refers to full board and drinks included, which is not the case at any Hyatt in Japan.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by op487062

i'm traveling on shinkansen from kyoto, what is the fastest way to the park hyatt at the station? cheapest? (hopefully the two can coincide somewhat)
At Tokyo Station take the JR Yamanote line bound for Shinjuku. When you get to Shinjuku, you can either take a cab for about $7 or if you want to walk, make sure you exit at the South side entrance and then make a right and walk straight for about 8-10 minutes until you get to the PH. There's a free shuttle bus but it might be a pain to find.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum

Do not go all the way to Tokyo Station - Get off the Shinkansen at Shinagawa station. Then take the Yamanote line to Shinjuku (fare is covered by your Shinkansen ticket). Then take a cab. For this to coincide with the cheapest route, forgo the cab and find the shuttle bus.

(If you do go via Tokyo station, take the Chuo line - not the Yamanote line - to Shinjuku).
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade

Originally Posted by jib71
Do not go all the way to Tokyo Station - Get off the Shinkansen at Shinagawa station. Then take the Yamanote line to Shinjuku (fare is covered by your Shinkansen ticket). Then take a cab. For this to coincide with the cheapest route, forgo the cab and find the shuttle bus.

(If you do go via Tokyo station, take the Chuo line - not the Yamanote line - to Shinjuku).
...oh yes, do make the transfer at Shinagawa station (the stop before Tokyo)....it's a much simpler station (less walking, fewer tracks, easier directions) to make the connection to Shinjuku

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.