Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2005, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by grumbler
I have an upcoming stay at the PHT - anyone know if I get access to the full spa (including the swishy locker facilities) in addition to pool access ?
As a Diamond, yes. Great perk, because otherwise entry is something like 4,000 yen.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Pickles
As a Diamond, yes. Great perk, because otherwise entry is something like 4,000 yen.
Oh, that is a nice perk - do you know if it applies to the second resident in a room, if not D?
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by NickW
Oh, that is a nice perk - do you know if it applies to the second resident in a room, if not D?
Yes, my girlfriend was warmly welcomed at the Spa this morning.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "Park View Rooms" are what used to be called "Corner King" rooms. They are larger than Park Deluxe, but to me they FEEL smaller because of the room layout -- most of the extra space goes into the bathroom. I wouldn't find them worth the extra Y6,000/night, in fact, I would prefer the "Park Deluxe" even if they were the same price, but there are more windows in a "Park View."
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:00 pm

So we're a few hours from check out and we didn't bother requesting a room change. The room assigned was about the same size as a standard room in a US hotel. It was disappointing, but overall good enough.

Next time I will plan to burn some points for a Park Suite though.

One shocking thing was the cost of dinner at the NY Grill. 16,000 to 21,000 yen is a lot. Lunch is only 4,200 on a weekday to 4,800 for the weekend brunch.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by Tummy
...shocking thing was the cost of dinner at the NY Grill. 16,000 to 21,000 yen is a lot. Lunch is only 4,200 on a weekday to 4,800 for the weekend brunch.
I warned you!!!

Yes, the weekday lunch set is the best deal for the NY Grill, if you want to experience it.

Very high quality appetizer buffet and dessert buffet plus a choice of a grilled main.... that's about it when it comes to hotel dining in Tokyo.....I'll recommend anything but hotel dining......
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:09 pm

We just got back home this afternoon and fell asleep for the last 8 hours or so.

I posted some photos from the PHT and some shots from Tokyo on my photo site. Click on the the link "Mar - Park Hyatt Tokyo" on the left to view them.

View Park Hyatt Tokyo Pictures

We were planning on going to Kyoto for 2 days at the end of the trip, but decided to cancel that portion. We ended up staying at the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay since we couldn't extend our PHT stay. Even using Diamond Passport Plus awards with rooms for sale on Hyatt.com.

In fact, even though the Sheraton really can't compare to the PHT, we enjoyed it much more. As a SPG Plat, we were upgraded to a large Club Level non-smoking king on the highest floor (12th) with a view of the bay and Mt. Fuji. As a Diamond for Hyatt we were on the lowest floor (42nd) in what looks likes the smallest king room with a city/bay view. The room at the Sheraton felt much larger than the PHT. That was really disappointing after reading so many great things about the PHT.

Despite the room issues, I overall enjoyed staying at the PHT and was sad to leave. Next time I will burn some points and book a Park Suite.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Yeah, the Park Suite is what you want (looking back, that is what I ended up with on my last stay). The basic rooms look okay, but my room at the GHT was bigger and better laid-out.

Between the two, I have to admit I lean more and more towards the GHT. I am glad I did the Park, and I had a great time, but when not in Tokyo on business, the GHT just seems a better hotel for leisure/visiting the city.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Yeah, the Park Suite is what you want (looking back, that is what I ended up with on my last stay). The basic rooms look okay, but my room at the GHT was bigger and better laid-out.
You must have been very lucky and unlucky at the same time. I don't think there are many standard rooms at the GHT that are bigger than the standard rooms at the PHT. Of course, if you take the King room at the PHT (the smallest one) and compare it to the executive room at the GHT, then yes, the GHT room is bigger. But there is one (or two) per floor of each at each hotel.

The basic twin room at the PHT (the standard one, of which there are the most) is definitely bigger than the standard queen room at the GHT. You couldn't fit the two twin beds in the PHT room in the GHT living space!
Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
I'm with Pickles. The standard rooms in PHT are definitely larger. Although the Park Rooms are same in area as GHT Grand rooms, the GHT bathrooms occupy such an enormous space (and a long corridor) that the room is so crowded at the living area with the chairs, bed, and the desk......

PHT Park Rooms, OTOH, although narrow, leaves quite a bit of room, and as Pickles pointed out, the two "Twin" beds that the room accommmodates will never fit in GHT Grand Rooms.....Park Deluxe Rooms are another matter, so are Grand Studios at the GHT.

Service issues aside, I will always prefer PHT over GHT...... hey....one less person to fight for your reservation at the GHT... Besides, LV and all that stuff I've seen enough of in HK and Paris....

Originally Posted by Pickles
You must have been very lucky and unlucky at the same time. I don't think there are many standard rooms at the GHT that are bigger than the standard rooms at the PHT. Of course, if you take the King room at the PHT (the smallest one) and compare it to the executive room at the GHT, then yes, the GHT room is bigger. But there is one (or two) per floor of each at each hotel.

The basic twin room at the PHT (the standard one, of which there are the most) is definitely bigger than the standard queen room at the GHT. You couldn't fit the two twin beds in the PHT room in the GHT living space!
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am in THAT HOTEL four times a year and no, I haven't seen any degradation due to THAT FILM.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that what is happening is that economy is much better now, and occupancy rates are probably quite higher. The only impact of that film has been the marked increase in backpacking gaijin gawkers at the hotel's restaurants wanting to see where that film was shot. Fortunately, they are patiently and politely turned away by the ever-suffering staff to the benefit of the paying customers.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:09 pm

As you know, in Asia, locals use hotel restaurants and lounges MUCH more than they do in the U.S. The PHT still holds up an excellent standard of service. During my recent stay I did not see many foreign gawkers; just hotel guests and locals dining out. Very pleasant and exclusive. My daily dilemma was whether to bow back at the sequence of bowing staff you pass going from the entrance to the room elevator. What is the correct protocol? Most of the local men did not seem to return the bows.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asterix881
My daily dilemma was whether to bow back at the sequence of bowing staff you pass going from the entrance to the room elevator. What is the correct protocol? Most of the local men did not seem to return the bows.
You may bow as long as your bow is less pronounced than that of the staff, but don't feel obliged. When meeting the emperor, however, the opposite is expected of you.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
As a foreigner, you are not expected to bow back at hotel staff. Just a simple nod or a smile. I'm sure the staff would appreciate that, rather than being completely ignored.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.