Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2004, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by SethLevy
And unlike what pickles indicates, this is still just a Hyatt, which means you are paying for just a room. You pay the tax for the bad service.
Under that worldview, any hotel is "just a room". So, no need to pay anything more than is absolutely necessary for safe, clean, quiet, accessible accommodation. Not a bad approach, mind you, and I will apply that rule when staying in many places, in particular countries and cities not known for their service or attention to detail (e.g. most of the US).

In Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Indonesia, etc., I'll go out of my way to stay at places that have a reputation for being the "best of the best". When paying the big bucks (either mine or often, OPM), I will apply a very critical eye to the experience. Under that microscope (and in my experience), the PHT, among others, has never failed to deliver. Otherwise I wouldn't come back.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluewatersail
SethLevy, I had often considered the PHT but found the $525/night + TAX/Service too high. I asked others why this hotel was so expensive and no one could answer, now you're telling me why it isn't worth the money.

It seems that when people are paying their own expenses they tend to have a critical eye. I, like you, pay my own expenses. $500 is too much for a Hyatt. Four Seasons, maybe. Hyatt, no.
So I take it, bluewatersail, that your concerns have kept you from actually STAYING at this hotel. That makes it difficult to characterize your comment as a negative review (as the OP did above).

Regulars in this forum are well aware that I am a fan of the PHT, so I've avoided frequent posts to this thread. I will be a fan as long as the PHT maintains its outstanding service and wonderful facilities while remaining a good value in one of the most expensive cities of the world. So far, that's been the case on every one of my numerous visits. I am pleased to see my experience overwhelmingly validated by numerous other posters to this and other threads.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:13 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I still consider it the Best Hyatt in the World . . . . and I have stayed at 93+ of them!
Old Sep 1, 2004, 12:04 am

Programs: CO Plat, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Park Hyatt Tokyo

Hello,

I am a Hyatt Diamond, and planning a trip to Tokyo. I asked a friend who goes to Tokyo often what hotel he recommends, and he said the Park Hyatt Tokyo. When I told him that it was sold out and I would have to use the diamond privelage to get the reservation, and didn't want to bother, he said "If it's booked - plan your trip for another time, stay at that hotel".

When I asked what made it so great, I didn't get an answer.

What makes this hotel so great at the cheapest room levels, say, compared to the Westin Tokyo, which costs much less at the cheapest room levels. (I am also SPG plat).

Does Diamond get me anything there, I've read that it's difficult/impossible to get an upgrade there (is that true?)

Thanks
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:34 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by winterny
Hello,

I am a Hyatt Diamond, and planning a trip to Tokyo. I asked a friend who goes to Tokyo often what hotel he recommends, and he said the Park Hyatt Tokyo. When I told him that it was sold out and I would have to use the diamond privelage to get the reservation, and didn't want to bother, he said "If it's booked - plan your trip for another time, stay at that hotel".

When I asked what made it so great, I didn't get an answer.

What makes this hotel so great at the cheapest room levels, say, compared to the Westin Tokyo, which costs much less at the cheapest room levels. (I am also SPG plat).

Does Diamond get me anything there, I've read that it's difficult/impossible to get an upgrade there (is that true?)

Thanks

We stayed there in April as Diamond on an FFN award. Occupying the top floors of a 50+-story office tower in Shinjuku, the hotel is probably the highest and has the best views in Tokyo, as seen in the B movie Lost in Translation. Our 47th floor room offered an unobstructed southern view from Tokyo Bay to Mount Fuji, with the Meiji Shrine in the foreground.

Hyatt's new policy restricting club access for Diamonds is irrelevant here, because there's no club lounge. There is a library of rare books available to any guest. The top floor restaurant is very popular with locals, though expensive (so we went just for the view). Diamonds get a free continental breakfast each morning in their room. Though the breakfast is definitely continental, the quality of the breads, coffee/hot chocolate/tea, etc. is exceptional. The ceremony of rolling a big breakfast table set with flowers into your room is also worthwhile.

When we arrived in our room, the Australian concierge gave us a complete rundown on room amenities, and made sure we were comfortable. We quickly set the room a/c at 68 degrees or so. The a/c had quite a workout given the huge glass windows and estimated 80 degree heat of the corridors (typical in Japan). There was a big flat screen tv, set to a restful nature video feed. Free overnight shoeshine service was offered.

Getting to the rooms involves quite a maze of elevators, corridor twists and turns. There is free shuttle service from the world's busiest train station at Shinjuku, served by JR East's Narita Express.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:33 am

Programs: Continental Plat/Life, United, AA, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott, Hilton Gold, Westin
Hyatt Tokyo

I was there 2 years ago.... I didnt really get any special treatment as Diamond. But, the other guy seems to have been able to finesse it better.

Yet, its a great location and well decorated. I preferred this far more to the larger rooms at the Akasaka Prince, which was about $300/night vs. the Park Hyatt at about $200.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:48 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I switched from the Westin to the PH some years back when a management change at the Westin made them decide not to give us corporate rates. For me, the quality of the hotel I stay in is a critical part of a business trip. This may not be true for you.

The Westin is a true first class hotel -- service is very good, as in all first class hotels in Japan, but in addition the rooms are quite large by Japanese standards. If you do not routinely demand the very best from a hotel, you will be very happy there.

The PH is a true luxury hotel. The standard room is larger than at the Westin (although there is a lower grade room that is about the same size), the fittings are better quality, the amenities are better. But the biggest difference is in the service which is not just very good, but impeccable.

Of course, location may matter to you, so consider if you prefer Ebisu over Shinjuku or vice versa. But beyond that, realize that as you approach the pinnacle in any category of good or service, the amount of additional quality you get for each additional dollar of cost tends to be less than it was for the last dollar. That's just the way it works at the top. So unless you really feel there is value for you in the additional cost of the PH over the Westin, stay at the Westin -- and don't fret over it, either!
Old Sep 3, 2004, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by cjwang_1225
Is it possible to give some details on how you get $200/night at PH Tokyo? The best I could get is ~$320/night.
Chris
If you're on holiday then you want to be at the Grand Hyatt, not the Park Hyatt. GH is fantastic, brand new and in the middle of a huge shopping / restaurant / gallery complex. It is also near a metro station, unlike the PH.

Last edited by RJB; Oct 27, 2004 at 10:34 am
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:24 am

Grand Hyatt is probably in a better spot location wise. But in terms of prestige, I think the PH Tokyo is considered one of the best (if not the best) hotels in Tokyo. It is also more exclusive because there are fewer rooms than the Grand Hotel, and the views are incredible. I am happy just hanging out in the coffee shop.

BTW, the beers cost less than the coffee down there. Not sure why.
Chris
Old Sep 5, 2004, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Ive had dinner a few times at the Park Hyatt but havent stayed there. I have stayed on the club level at the Grand Hyatt and it is very, very nice. Service was spectacular. I think the restaurants in the Grand are not as nice as at the Park. The Grand is newer, very new in fact, so it may not be as well known but it is a fantastic place. If you dont care about whether it is a Hyatt or not, I would recommend Seiyo Ginza. Also pretty new. A Japanese business owner in NY who travels frequently to Tokyo has for years recommended the Park Hyatt to us. This past year he said he has switched to the Sieyo Ginza. We stayed there a few days in March and it was a cut above the Grand Hyatt in service and room quality, especially size. But if you are looking for Hyatt points I wouldnt hesitate to stay at the Grand Hyatt.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA ExecutivePlat; Delta Platinum; Aeroplan Prestige; SPG Platinum
I have stayed in the Park Hyatt, the Grand Hyatt, and the Westin Tokyo in the past 3 years and have found the P-Hyatt to be one of the best Hyatt hotels I have EVER stayed at in my life. The service, the rooms, the amenities are all the worth the money, IMHO.

Most of the meetings that I had in Japan were actually held at the hotel so I didn't have to travel far to get to where I wanted to go to. I enjoyed the shopping, the food, and all there is to see in Japan. BUT those of you who are use to steak and potatoes will be in for a shock when they go to Japan.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:44 am

Grand Hyatt Tokyo and Park Hyatt Tokyo

I've just stayed at the GHT (1st time) and am typing this from the PHT (return visit). They are really both excellent hotels. Steak or lobster, which is better? Some people have a preference, while others would be hard pressed to choose.

The GHT is quite new: just 1 1/2 years old, but it doesn't even look that old to me. The PHT is older, but has recently refurbished rooms. GHT has a club floor/lounge, while PHT does not. The GHT (about 20 floors, I think) is not in such a tall building as the PHT (42nd-52nd floor). Location for the GHT is better, but overall I'd give the edge to the PHT. Not to fault the GHT is any way -- I was quite pleased with the service and, personally, loved the design of the rooms -- but it's hard to beat the PHT for service and that little extra edge, especially if you want true luxury and a very prestigious address. I remain torn, however, because the GHT is really very, very nice too. I'll be delighted to return to both of these.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 8:44 pm

Programs: Skyteam, Starwood, DMV Point Program
If anyone here has any good photos from the NY Bar, and he/she is willing to share them, please PM me. I was there a week ago, and keep kicking myself for not making a better effort at snagging a few good shots. I ended up in conversation with the singer that night, in some sort of bad Lost in Translation reenactment . . .

Domo.

[FWIW, I stayed at the Seiyo Ginza. As breathtaking as the views from the NY Bar were, I was happy with my choice. Service at the Seiyo surpassed my experience at both the Four Seasons Shanghai and Peninsula Hong Kong earlier in the trip. The room was huge, and I found it an excellent location from which to visit Tokyo for the first time.]

Last edited by SuiJuris; Sep 19, 2004 at 8:47 pm
Old Oct 8, 2004, 5:39 pm

Would anyone know if there is a complimentary hotel shuttle service among the 3 Hyatts in Tokyo?
Old Oct 8, 2004, 7:31 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
The Park and the Century are about 4-5 blocks from each other. I have stayed at the Park yearly since it opened and am unaware of any sort of "connection". The only free connection between them would be to take one of their shuttles to Shinjuku station and return on the other, but their drop off points are about a block apart. The GH is a fair distance away from the others and won't have a shuttle to Shinjuku. As they are independent operations I would doubt any other comp services are available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.