Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:57 am

Thank you @saint for this thorough review! We cancelled a stay for this week when I found out Point Lobos and Garrapata were closed but it sounds like Garrapata is open which is great news. We decided to visit Carmel Valley Ranch again and are here now but may head to Highlands afterwards. Also thanks for the tip about the Carmel Mountain trailhead just north of Point Lobos - I couldn't find any info online about that but will look for it when we drive over there. As well, thank you for all those restaurant recs which I just noted and will try a few this week no doubt as we plan to stay up here and explore as much as possible. Sounds like the lack of restaurant or room service didn't diminish your stay in any way which is good to know. I think some of the wine tasting rooms and wineries are back open here in Carmel Valley so will report back my findings for others who may find that info useful.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Hey you are welcome everyone. Happy to pay it forward for all the terrific reviews and posts on this board. YES, that shower was really tiny. I agree that someone really big would definitely have issues with the shower. The bathtub was really big and fit my wife and I but we both couldn't fit in the shower. Ha.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by saint
Hey you are welcome everyone. Happy to pay it forward for all the terrific reviews and posts on this board. YES, that shower was really tiny. I agree that someone really big would definitely have issues with the shower. The bathtub was really big and fit my wife and I but we both couldn't fit in the shower. Ha.
enough room in the tub for a couple and the pool boy
saint likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:26 pm

Just returned from a 3-night stay. I had been following this thread leading up to my trip. Overall, it was heavenly.

Got lucky with the smoke situation. Like another poster, I was even considering canceling for a bit...but the weather cooperated, and it even got so sunny that pool time was added to the agenda!

One thing I thought I'd share, because I haven't seen this posted anywhere (though, I could be mistaken!). It seems that electric fireplaces are being installed in some townhouses? I booked an ocean view townhouse, and thought I scored when I was given a key to room 501. Turns out, 501 doesn't have a wood fireplace. I thought all townhouses did, but it has the electric 'push a button to activate the heated screensaver' kind instead. I hate making requests, but I felt a little misled, so I called the front desk. The front desk was confused, and was unaware that 501 didn't have a wood fireplace? Strange.

The next day, we were given 2 hours' notice to pack up (tight turnaround!), turn in our keys, and get moved to 504. This employee mentioned something about the electric fireplaces being a 'test run,' because some guests don't like the fireplace smell. Makes sense, but even 501 smelled like a fireplace, which only intensified the feeling of missing out! haha. Anyways, I felt guilty moving 3 doors down and creating more work for housekeeping, but it was worth it for the actual fireplace I was so looking forward to. So overall, staff took care of me, and I tipped generously. I also like that the balconies for rooms 503 + 504 extend out a bit further over the ridge than at 501-502 and 505-506.

Last edited by Omnomnam; Sep 21, 2020 at 5:48 pm
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by Omnomnam
Just returned from a 3-night stay. I had been following this thread leading up to my trip. Overall, it was heavenly.

Got lucky with the smoke situation. Like another poster, I was even considering canceling for a bit...but the weather cooperated, and it even got so sunny that pool time was added to the agenda!

One thing I thought I'd share, because I haven't seen this posted anywhere (though, I could be mistaken!). It seems that electric fireplaces are being installed in some units? I booked an ocean view townhouse, and thought I scored when I was given a key to room 501. Turns out, 501 doesn't have a wood fireplace. It has the electric 'push a button to activate the heated screensaver' kind instead. I hate making requests, but I felt a little misled, so I called the front desk. The front desk was confused, and was unaware that 501 didn't have a wood fireplace? Strange.

The next day, we were given 2 hours' notice to pack up (tight turnaround!), turn in our keys, and get moved to 504. This employee mentioned something about the electric fireplaces being a 'test run,' because some guests don't like the fireplace smell. Makes sense, but even 501 smelled like a fireplace, which only intensified the feeling of missing out! haha. Anyways, I felt guilty moving 3 doors down and creating more work for housekeeping, but it was worth it for the actual fireplace I was so looking forward to. So overall, staff took care of me, and I tipped generously. I also like that the balconies for rooms 503 + 504 extend out a bit further over the ridge than at 501-502 and 505-506.
Thanks for this update. I read that 501 had one of the absolute best views out of all the rooms so this is interesting. The smoke smell I don't necessarily think is just from the smoke from your own fireplace. I read several various posts on TripAdvisor and other places where even rooms that didn't have the fireplace smelled smoky from the various fireplaces in the surrounding area. I agree with OP that the fireplace was great to have. Typically I'm not even one of those people that loves fireplaces while in hotel rooms. I do have several at home and I especially use the one in my outside courtyard of my home as it looks beautiful at night. Although I was only in my room a few hours, we did enjoy the fireplace at dusk. It was really romantic and the hotel makes it easy providing the wood and kindling.

Glad you had a great time!

PS. I wouldn't feel bad about moving and creating work for the maids. They didn't provide ANY maid service at all while we were there. So, probably even better that there is some work for the maids as I imagine they probably had to downsize their staff with all this lack of cleaning during guest stays.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks for the review! Any food services at the hotel or still nothing?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
If they eliminate the wood burning fireplaces they better lower their prices SUBSTANTIALLY. I'm not paying their prices for a pretend fireplace.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:25 pm

Still no food service, outdoor hot tubs, or housekeeping. I booked my stay by redeeming credit card points I had initially set aside pre-COVID for an international trip. I don't think I'll be traveling abroad in a long time, so I decided to use those points for a long-weekend road trip from home in the Bay Area instead -- not something I'd normally do! Spent a great deal of time basking in the glory of the wonderful view, jacuzzi tub, and my beloved real fireplace (ha!), but also spent a lot of time at Asilomar, Big Sur, Carmel, and Moss Landing. For food, I stuck mostly to takeout from places in Carmel and Monterey, and it seemed that many guests were ordering delivery for pickup at the front desk. It was a beautiful trip that felt quite safe.

The lack of food was something I was prepared for, but I do understand why it's disappointing. This place is expensive, and there's so much outdoor space on the property, you would think there exists a way to safely provide some sort of food, or at least room service. While in the lobby, I heard the front desk staff repeatedly handling phone calls asking about the lack of food service. hah...
Old Nov 2, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Curious if anyone has stayed here recently -- any sense if food service is starting up again (even if it's just in-room) or will be in the near future?

Understand relevant COVID concerns, but seems that this property is an outlier v. Ventana / Carmel Valley nearby. Planning to stay most of the time either a) outdoors in nature outside the property or b) within the standard award suite ... but ideally there would be some F&B available given the rates.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
I stayed here in mid october and there were no food offerings at all. The front desk was very tired of being asked and were quite vague when asked where to go for breakfast or lunch. We were not impressed and it seems like they are barely trying to provide service. Often no one answered the phone when we called for towels or help, and had no idea when they would again serve food. It does seem like they could offer some temporary outdoor venues for at least some breakfast or lunch.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wilma
I stayed here in mid october and there were no food offerings at all. The front desk was very tired of being asked and were quite vague when asked where to go for breakfast or lunch. We were not impressed and it seems like they are barely trying to provide service. Often no one answered the phone when we called for towels or help, and had no idea when they would again serve food. It does seem like they could offer some temporary outdoor venues for at least some breakfast or lunch.
Interesting to contrast a really well managed nearby property, Carmel Valley Ranch, where the restaurant is not only operating but at full capacity. Well managed properties are finding a way to make things work.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Kacee
Interesting to contrast a really well managed nearby property, Carmel Valley Ranch, where the restaurant is not only operating but at full capacity. Well managed properties are finding a way to make things work.
Based on my experience in September, I found the new management there unresponsive to guest requests and needs. I agree, they could offer room service or some sort of take-away food offerings. The HR San Francisco Airport does an excellent job with that and doesn't charge the outrageous rates that the Highlands Inn does.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 7:55 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Kacee
I agree, these recent reports are disappointing. Especially considering, that this used to be a Park Hyatt...
Old Nov 6, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by 59Impala
I agree, these recent reports are disappointing. Especially considering, that this used to be a Park Hyatt...
The Hyatt Regency in Johannesburg was also branded a "Park Hyatt." Labeling that and the Highlands Inn "Park Hyatt" were the ultimate in misleading branding for Hyatt.

Value for money at the HR Monterey and the PH Carmel (not what you think!)
59Impala likes this.

Last edited by Pickles; Nov 6, 2020 at 3:38 pm Reason: Added link
Old Nov 6, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
The Hyatt Regency in Johannesburg was also branded a "Park Hyatt." Labeling that and the Highlands Inn "Park Hyatt" were the ultimate in misleading branding for Hyatt.
Oh wow. That Hyatt Regency in Rosebank used to be a Park Hyatt? Wow, I'd be severely disappointed if that was the case. I went for a week last year on business and even as Hyatt Regency it was nothing special. Although the breakfast buffet was pretty good off the lobby. The suite was big but was really dated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.