Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
My sarcasm didn’t come through. It was fairly embarrassing compensation for a highish end resort. I rationalized the unique circumstances and sub-$300 rate as the best of a bad situation. There was some bubbling resentment but by deciding not to get worked up about it, we were able to enjoy a break from the monotony of the past three months.

Originally Posted by hedoman
I couldn't figure out the (yay) for getting 500 points for the restaurant being closed. Missing breakfast for two = 10 dollars? I don't think so. Good report. Unless you're in a residence, this is not the place to be without a restaurant..
Old Jul 4, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
It’s about my third or fourth stay here, always booking an Ocean View room on points. Each time we’ve been assigned a room by the pool (rooms 54x). Are these the only base ocean view king rooms? they’re quite low and near the road, so wondering if I’ve just got unlucky or if they’re the only ones available. Any recommendations on which rooms to ask for?

Last edited by JamilD; Jul 4, 2020 at 8:47 pm
Old Jul 4, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by JamilD
It’s about my third or fourth stay here, always booking an Ocean View room on points. Each time we’ve been assigned a room by the pool (rooms 54x). Are these the only base ocean view king rooms? they’re quite low and near the road, so wondering if I’ve just got unlucky or if they’re the only ones available. Any recommendations on which rooms to ask for?
I believe they are and yes, they are very close to the road. Suggest you use a suite upgrade certificate and upgrade to an Oceanvierw Townhouse Spa Suite. They are the suites that are on the hillside directly above the pool with numbers 501-513, with 501-508 being the best.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I'm the odd one here but the lack of breakfast/restaurant doesn't bother me. For the most part I would be glad to end my slavery to mediocre hotel breakfast just b/c they're free, and it would be refreshing to not plan my day around that - esp if it means lower rate. When I stayed at this beautiful property, I always went into town for my meals. I am increasingly discovering more interesting restaurants in the Monterey/Carmel area (nothing fancy, but the food is tasty).

I was in town this week, didn't stay here but quick update on the overall scene:
  • Some restaurants are closed Mon - Wed. When they are open, it's only until 7 or 8pm. I did have to plan my activities around this in order to get food from my preferred places.
  • Carmel town was less enjoyable b/c of social distancing and safety concerns with indoor spaces. I think I am going to only visit nature destinations in the Covid era.
  • Point Lobos was officially closed the whole week except Thursday when they opened for some reason. On Friday morning it was closed again, but people still park along the highway and walk inside. Expect the situation to be very fluid. Garrapata was a nice alternative with fewer people.
  • This was my first time in the area not on a weekend. The reduced crowd is refreshing for enjoying this beautiful part of the world. As I left on the Friday of July 4 weekend, the crowd intensified to the normal level.
Enjoy the million dollar view here.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:25 am

@italdesign - thanks for the update! We stayed at Carmel Valley Ranch last weekend and drove through Highlands property on the way in. Was very quiet! I didn't realize Point Lobos was closed since all those cars were lined up on Hwy1 and people going into the park - did you do that yourself? Wonder how crowded it is inside on the week days? Thanks for the pointer on Garrapata - seems like that would be worth checking out.

Curious about where you went for your meals - did you utilize those little 'mini malls' near the property (the one with Starbucks, etc.)?

Were there electric kettles or Nespresso in the rooms for morning coffee at least? Mini fridges?

Thanks again - thinking about driving up again in the next few weeks!
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by madderlake
@italdesign - thanks for the update! We stayed at Carmel Valley Ranch last weekend and drove through Highlands property on the way in. Was very quiet! I didn't realize Point Lobos was closed since all those cars were lined up on Hwy1 and people going into the park - did you do that yourself? Wonder how crowded it is inside on the week days? Thanks for the pointer on Garrapata - seems like that would be worth checking out.
Sorry for the late reply - been a busy week. I did not go to Point Lobos this time. I've been there 4-5 times before. It shouldn't be too busy on weekdays. On previous weekends, the far NE part (esp Granite Point) has never been busy. That's my favorite area due to the combination of incredible scenery and nonexistent crowd. Morning is best for lighting, I'd guess by 9am (summer).

Curious about where you went for your meals - did you utilize those little 'mini malls' near the property (the one with Starbucks, etc.)?
I went to restaurants mostly in Seaside, where I stayed. My fav was Michelle’s Soul Food Kitchen. The braised oxtail was amazing and under $20. They even gave me some free samples after I asked some questions. Personally, I'm not going to pay for overpriced food in Carmel if I can't enjoy the atmosphere.

Enjoy your visit!
Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have 3 nights at Ventana Big Sur and for the two nights before, I’m torn between Highlands for 2 nights @ 40 k can use a TSU) or Hyatt Regency Monterey using 2 CST 4 certs (hence can’t apply TSU),

it’s for our anniversary, so a suite with a great view sounds nice, but 60 k pts vs 0K is a big difference.

is the experience redundant to Ventana Big Sur?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:27 am

@beachfan - we stayed at Ventana but only did a drive through on the Highlands property on the way to Carmel Valley Ranch. From what I saw, I don't think Highlands would be redundant to Ventana Sur. I agree it's a steep points price to pay but with the current rebate promo it lessens the blow a bit. Would be curious what others have to say though who have stayed at both recently.

@italdesign - thank you for all that info! I'm going to look into all of it. What did you do for coffee in the morning - was there a kettle or Nespresso machine in room? I've emailed the property but haven't heard back.

Also for anyone who can speak to this - when putting in a TSU is there a particular suite or section of suites in the hotel to request in terms of best location?

Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
I have 3 nights at Ventana Big Sur and for the two nights before, I’m torn between Highlands for 2 nights @ 40 k can use a TSU) or Hyatt Regency Monterey using 2 CST 4 certs (hence can’t apply TSU),

it’s for our anniversary, so a suite with a great view sounds nice, but 60 k pts vs 0K is a big difference.

Hyatt Monterey is nothing special at all. If you can get a townhouse suite at Highlands Inn, go for it. Spectacular ocean views from fairly close up. Ocean views at Ventana are more distant. Unless you just want a place to stay, I'd avoid HR Monterey.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
Agree with JIMCHI. Have stayed at both. Hyatt Monterey is just a hotel with a golf course butted up to it. Rooms have been redone, so if you are just looking for a place to stay for free it is great. The townhouse suites with a full ocean view and a fireplace are on a different level. As is the view from the outdoor restaurant where you get a free Globalist breakfast. Well at least you use to. Not sure if it is closed due to covid. And the current 25% point reduction with the Hyatt credit card makes this only 22,500 points which I think is well worth it.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:27 am
Community Director Emerita

I have stayed at all three properties. I am no fan of Hyatt Regency Monterey. I have stayed there to get nights in toward status and have always found it boring. We've had a suite there but it hasn't materially improved our experience.

I'm a fan of the Highlands. My husband and I stayed at Ventana Big Sur this past week. We had vastly better views of the coastline at the Highlands. After all, you are immediately across from the water whereas at Ventana you are a considerable distance from the water. Location is everything at Highlands. We had a townhouse or a suite every stay except for one time when they initially put us on the timeshare side. That was quite far from the water and had a northern view so not the Big Sur view we crave. We love sitting on the balcony at the townhouse, watching water crash over the boulders. Look up thread for pictures from a stay we made.
italdesign and werbarton like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks!

(its 30k for when I want to go, 22.5 k is easier call, quite a few comments Upthread from when it went To Cat 7 that it wasn’t worth it, with one person preferring the room at the HR Monterey).

I think social distancing might be easier at the Highlands which is factoring in my decision

Last edited by beachfan; Aug 2, 2020 at 10:43 am
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:23 am

Thanks!

(its 30k for when I want to go, 22.5 k is easier call, quite a few comments Upthread from when it went To Cat 7 that it wasn’t worth it, with one person preferring the room at the HR Monterey).

I think social distancing might be easier at the Highlands which is factoring in my decision
Just be aware if you are going anytime soon, due to the pandemic the restaurant at the Highlands Inn is closed. No room service. There is no other restaurant nearby. Carmel is closest and about 15 minutes away. If you get a townhouse suite, it has a full kitchen so you could get breakfast and lunch items at the Safeway on highway 1 in Carmel and keep them in the fridge. Restaurant availability in Carmel and Monterey is very limited as only outdoor dining is permitted. Reservations and a warm jacket are highly recommended. For lunch. Nepenthe (which is near Ventana) is good for lunch outdoors but reservations not accepted.
beachfan likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:28 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select

Sorta depends on what you're going to be doing. If you want to spend more time at the hotel and in Carmel, Highlands is probably the way to go. I was at the HR a few weeks ago and besides for sleeping it felt all but pointless to be there. But using the certificates makes that worthwhile if you want to spend some time in Monterey.

We have had a great couple of experiences at the Carmel Valley Ranch recently too.
beachfan likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by joecool1885
We have had a great couple of experiences at the Carmel Valley Ranch recently too.
We enjoyed a one night stay last week before moving to Ventana. We were upgraded to a spacious suite that we enjoyed very much.
beachfan and joecool1885 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.